Oink unanimously declared not guilty!

hmm, i think this was only UK folks here.

I wonder what the difference was in this case vs TPB

Both torrent trackers, one's owners busted the other not ?

blr_p said:
hmm, i think this was only UK folks here.

I wonder what the difference was in this case vs TPB

Both torrent trackers, one's owners busted the other not ?

Oink was hosted/owned by a citizen of UK while the TPB was of Sweden. The laws in the two countries are vastly different.

According to UK laws, the distribution medium of Bittorrent and the site was not at fault. It was the responsibility of the users of the site to behave responsibly. The admin had only created a medium of interaction and sharing.

If you read all the Torrentfreak articles on the trial, you will understand the difference.

Also the fact that Oink was not as popular as TPB and was a private invite only site(not sure about this. Knew nothing about torrent trackers during the haydays of Oink.) and so fewer users used the site probably helped too.

hotshot05 said:
Oink was hosted/owned by a citizen of UK while the TPB was of Sweden. The laws in the two countries are vastly different.
Different laws to a certain point but as both are EC countries so there would be more similarity. For some reason was under the impression the swedes were more lax given they even have a 'pirate' party (!)

Reading the TF article, one gets the impression they were trying to get OiNk more for 'personal gain' rather than infringement. I'm not sure why this was the case, maybe it would be a weak case as the site never hosted any content. Google would be guilty at some point too otherwise.

hotshot05 said:
Also the fact that Oink was not as popular as TPB and was a private invite only site(not sure about this. Knew nothing about torrent trackers during the haydays of Oink.) and so fewer users used the site probably helped too.
Pink was defnitely a private site in comparison tho technically it does not make much of a difference because again the distribution medium & site were the same so no fault.

I can't recall the details for why the owners of TPB went down, tho i suspect it might have been for reasons other than BT & the site.

Back