Audio Noob Need Upgrade from EP-630 to Audio Heaven

Desecrator said:
LOL you have no idea about the ones in the mid & higher-up segment unless you listen to them. The EP630 is perhaps disregarded ATM for being muddy and boomy bass. :bleh:

People don't even suggest the EP630/635 but the PL11 as the entry level IEMs. You should listen to the RE0 and the RE1 if you can get a chance to. :)
I am all ears :p
someone in bbsr lend me a pair. Or maybe I should find some rich guinea pig among my hostel mates !

The OP has a pretty decent budget and wants an advice on the best IEM's he can get for his 5k. For me thats entry level IEMs, someone else might beg to defer. I think he can do better than PL's and NE's
Why are we suggesting IEMS like PL11 and NE6 is something i can't understand.
Why buy something ok'ish for 2k and feel unsatisfied(which i'm sure he would after reading his choice of music) and then put it on a FS thread for 1k and then buy something good for 5k.
If you do the math your wasting 1k in the process and Time.

Coming to my recommendation, go for the RE0. This is the only IEM I truely respect for its price and i can guarantee you that you cannot get better mids and highs than this in any IEM for its price IMHO (purely subjective)

To save you any gripe, they do lack in bass, so if your a bass head i would ask you to ignore the RE0 cuz you will be unsatisfied.

Again sound is a very subjective topic, to some people good iem's or hp's means it should sound as if they're in some disco(the louder and boomy'ier(if theres such a word) the better) and to some people it has to be something different.

[REVIEW] Head-Direct RE0 - a new contender for the best IEM - Head-Fi.org Community

bennysachdev said:
The OP has a pretty decent budget and wants an advice on the best IEM's he can get for his 5k. For me thats entry level IEMs, someone else might beg to defer. I think he can do better than PL's and NE's

Why are we suggesting IEMS like PL11 and NE6 is something i can't understand.

I guess we are trying to find the match between pricing and quality , whether earphones which cost 10 x a PL11 are ten times (or more) better or not .

Desecrator said:
LOL you have no idea about the ones in the mid & higher-up segment unless you listen to them....
And the difference isn't non-linear if I may add. Something like the exponential curve. :p

Very true. Unless you hear better stuff in person, you will never know what you are missing.
manu1991 said:
I guess we are trying to find the match between pricing and quality , whether earphones which cost 10 x a PL11 are ten times (or more) better or not .

That is not true in the audio world. Audio gear is like food, some might like something while others will hate it. You can never calculate/judge if some earphone costing 10 times another earphone is 10 times better in sound quality. Sound quality is not a measurable quantity. Even this doesn't matter really because in the end it matters on how the person listening to them prefers their sound.

@orangewrath - If you really can spend upto 5k, I would suggest the Klipsch S4. These are decently regarded in this price range. Another very good option is the Brainwavz M2 from mp4nation for $60. I listened to them yesterday and was highly impressed with them. You can't go wrong with it.

@bennysachdev,

And what if he spends 3K, buys RE-0 / Klipsch S4 / some other IEM and does not like it?

I was in his position last year. Some sound signatures were instantly likable, while others are a matter of acquired taste. I went through several budget headphones and IEMs like KSC-75, PX-100, EP-630 before ending up with RE-0. I'd rather have him listen to something like a PL-30 first and see if he likes less bass than RE-0. Once he understands, compares it with EP-630 and knows exactly which kind of sound signature he prefers, people would be better equipped to suggest RE-0 or S4. And these days, there are plenty of choices within 5K. It's only beyond $200/300 that you really need to spend a lot in order to get a meaningful upgrade.... and costlier is NOT necessarily better.

It seemed to me that EP-630 is the only IEM he got. If that's the case, then it's better to get a taste of other signatures - a PL-30 + a NE-6 instead of a single RE-0.

It's much like getting your taste buds trained to like varieties of tastes - not just saccharine sweet. As one continues to listen to better and better phones, one's 'point of reference' keeps moving up.
On the other hand, EP-630 is a great reference to compare & see where other phones are better, which is why I'll never sell it :p

Anyways, just my point of view :)

manu george said:
soundmagic pl 21 no amp needed only 900rs really superb, which is your player
Im using an ipod touch and ipod classic, will hopefully get a Sansa soon.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

MohitPreet said:
SOUND MAGIC PL11 FOR 600 bucks wud be just fine for u , y r u willing to spend 5k on that ,pl11 is a good enough upgrade from ep630
I meant my budget is 5K, a friend adviced me to get the Sennheiser cx 300 and I assumed the good IEM's are around that price range.

esanthosh said:
  1. Do not spend 5K.
  2. There's no "heaven" in audio. Only an endless series of upgrades and empty wallets :bleh:
  3. If you HAVE to spend 5K, try 2/3 IEMs with completely different sound signatures. You will not only learn what the terms like sound stage, bass etc., mean (by comparing them), but chances are you might like a completely different presentation compared to EP-630 you are used to.

I for sure do not HAVE to spend 5k, my ep630's serve the purpose well but they start to hurt my ears after about 30-40 minutes, audio heaven to me is more of an inclination towards comfort.

chiron said:
if the ep630 is audio heaven then its one filled with muddy bass.
The title says from ep630 TO audio heaven!

FaH33m said:
@ OP .If you are not sure about spending 4-5k .. I suggest you get a NE6 or RE2 under 2k ,depending on weather you want bass and more instrumental focused sound or balanced sound with little low bass.
I don't mind spending 5K for something worth it, I am considering the NE6 which was recommended by Kumar and you. Can I get that in Bangalore? Its about 2-3K right?

esanthosh said:
@bennysachdev,

And what if he spends 3K, buys RE-0 / Klipsch S4 / some other IEM and does not like it?

I was in his position last year. Some sound signatures were instantly likable, while others are a matter of acquired taste. I went through several budget headphones and IEMs like KSC-75, PX-100, EP-630 before ending up with RE-0. I'd rather have him listen to something like a PL-30 first and see if he likes less bass than RE-0. Once he understands, compares it with EP-630 and knows exactly which kind of sound signature he prefers, people would be better equipped to suggest RE-0 or S4. And these days, there are plenty of choices within 5K. It's only beyond $200/300 that you really need to spend a lot in order to get a meaningful upgrade.... and costlier is NOT necessarily better.

It seemed to me that EP-630 is the only IEM he got. If that's the case, then it's better to get a taste of other signatures - a PL-30 + a NE-6 instead of a single RE-0.

It's much like getting your taste buds trained to like varieties of tastes - not just saccharine sweet. As one continues to listen to better and better phones, one's 'point of reference' keeps moving up.

On the other hand, EP-630 is a great reference to compare & see where other phones are better, which is why I'll never sell it :p

Yup apart from the ones shipped with the ipods and the nokia phones the ep630 is the only IEM i have owned, I did use a friends Bose IEM's, didnt really like the form factor.

I did look around quite a bit in bangalore the past few days and difficult to get IEM's for demo, most of them are sealed!

Thank you to everyone for the replies, it took me quite a while to read, digest and understand the stuff (while at the same time googling for what NE/RE/PL meant :ashamed:)

The Bottom Line is..

1: I don't mind spending the money for good IEM's

2: That does not mean I want to blow it off on something I may not even appreciate.

3: Narrowed it down to the following.

A: Nuforce NE-6 - Most Suggestions

B: Klipsch S4 or maybe S4i

C: Sennheiser CX 300 (a friend who does sound editing suggested this)

D: RE2 (RE0 runs beyond my budget, I think)

Ruled out these

A: PL 11/21/30 - The resident TE Audiophiles say this is not a considerable Upgrade

B: Other budget IEM's - I don't want to buy 2-3 and try them, and I cannot find a place where they would let me try out these earphones.

C: Ultimate Ears (the same sound editor friend suggested these, and I was truly surprised and a bit shocked at how much they cost!)

So finally which one, and how much would/should I get them for and are there any other ones that I overlooked.

^ You really need to give us some idea about what sound you are looking for cause all the 3-4 final options you have considered are really good for they offer and its difficult to suggest one particular model. Infact even the RE-0 is actually in your budget . Its ~4.3k or so. See if you can find anyone around you who has a NE6,RE-2,RE-0 etc and try it out . I am sure there are quite a few members from TE in bangalore, who own one of these and would let you try it out .:)

FaH33m said:
^ You really need to give us some idea about what sound you are looking for cause all the 3-4 final options you have considered are really good for they offer and its difficult to suggest one particular model. Infact even the RE-0 is actually in your budget . Its ~4.3k or so. See if you can find anyone around you who has a NE6,RE-2,RE-0 etc and try it out . I am sure there are quite a few members from TE in bangalore, who own one of these and would let you try it out .:)
Basically Alternative Rock, Classic Rock, Not much of heavy metal, Instrumental (Indian), Some Lounge Music, and movies and tv shows on my iPod. I have a friend with a pair of NE6, will try that.

But out of the 4, is there a wrong choice?

^ I don't think CX-300 is an upgrade, more like a cross-grade. In fact, some people prefer EP-630 to CX-300 :)

Lounge, Movies, TV - I'd say you need a bit of bass. Try NE-6. If you like it, better to go for it.

dude ! beleive me on this 1 !

go for pl30 ! they are amazing !

you can try skull candy inkd also ! they are also quite nice :)

ive heatd cx300-II are also awesome ! :)

Scratch out the CX300, they are similar to your EP630 and not at all worth the price. Don't even think of Skullcandy or Bose.

Out of your other choices, all 3 are very good and you won't go wrong with either of them.

RE2 has a balanced sound with great mids and highs with nice details.

NE6 has a lot of bass, but the mids and highs are kind of recessed in comparison.

Klipsch S4 also have good bass, but have good mids and decent highs. They are also very comfortable to wear.

RE0 is also a good option. It is one of the most detailed IEMs and has excellent highs. Mids are decent but it lacks bass. However, quite a few people might not like these.

Since you are not sure on what type of sound you really want, I suggest you to get a balanced sounding IEM. If you wanna save some money, RE2 is a great choice. If you can spend a bit more, I strongly suggest the Brainwavz M2. They are really worth the price.

^ Yeah Brainwavz M2 for 60$ is one amazing IEM and unbeatable at that price but I didn't suggest him because I wasn't sure how comfortable he would be ordering it from Mp4Nation which ships from HongKong and takes anywhere between 10-20 days to reach .

esanthosh said:
@bennysachdev,

RE0's are a keeper, they match up2 a lotta 200$ iems and beat a lotta them when it comes to the highs and mids. I guess if he even gets bit by the bug called "upgradititis", he would still keep and value the RE0 as a lotta ppl including you still do even after having better IEMS(and i don't just mean more expensive) IF they suit your sound signature.

I completely agree with viralbug's analogy about food. Music and preferred sound signature differs from person to person just like their taste for food. Since the OP has now clearly mentioned he likes rock, alternative and not metal or grunge, I'm assuming he would like to have a good sound staging, not a boomy bass but a tight bass. Every pick of a string of a guitar or a hit of a cymbal should be clear and should not distorted at any level. Again i would like to emphasize that a lot of people find them bass anemic, so if you like to boost the bass when your listening to music, you prolly won't like these.

If my understanding is correct, just as a suggestion, i would suggest the RE0 since i've heard the NE-7(same as the NE6), the klipsch s4 as well.

@esanthosh having him listen and having him buy something are 2 different things. The OP wants to buy and is not asking suggestions for iems to audition. A lot of people don't want to sit and reference their best iems with their previous ones like you do with your ep630. Some people just want to buy the best in their budget and get it over with rather than start from the bottom and keep moving their way up like your suggesting.

There are a lot of choices under 5k, agree with you on that, hence I give my best opinion if I've tried some of these.

bennysachdev said:
RE0's are a keeper, they match up2 a lotta 200$ iems and beat a lotta them when it comes to the highs and mids.

I agree with you about RE-0. They remain one of my favourite IEMs. But...

bennysachdev said:
he would still keep and value the RE0 as a lotta ppl including you still do even after having better IEMS(and i don't just mean more expensive) IF they suit your sound signature

I neither own nor have tried any high-end IEMs or headphones. So, that should be "excluding" me ;)

bennysachdev said:
A lot of people don't want to sit and reference their best iems with their previous ones like you do with your ep630

The reasons for retaining my EP-630 must be made clear. I do not know anything about audiophile lingo, even now. So, for purposes of understanding terms like "muddy bass", the relative width of sound stage, I used to compare my IEMs and learn. I am just a curious, budget music listener, not an audiophile by any stretch of imagination.

Coming back.... OP does watch Movie, TV etc., and I'd imagine something with a good and wide sound stage, some bass and also something very comfortable for longer durations would fit the needs.

RE-0 does not 'lack' bass, but when the OP is used to EP-630's 'bass', I assumed he'd expect a bit more in that department. True that none of the other suggested IEMs reach the level of RE-0 in clarity, but I thought he was looking for an "all rounder". If he listens most of the time to music, then your suggestion of RE-0 should be seriously considered. Otherwise, other suggestions could fit him just fine.

FaH33m said:
^ Yeah Brainwavz M2 for 60$ is one amazing IEM and unbeatable at that price but I didn't suggest him because I wasn't sure how comfortable he would be ordering it from Mp4Nation which ships from HongKong and takes anywhere between 10-20 days to reach .
I just want to buy the IEM's outright from a store here, your right, I wouldnt be comfortable ordering stuff from HK and waiting for 2-3 weeks for it,

^ Yeah Head-direct doesnt provide carry pouch with any of their IEMs.. not even the flagship RE-252 which cost 199$.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions, I think I ll get the NE6, anyone know of a store for these in Bangalore?

And the website lists it at 39$, the price I should get these for is approx under 2k then?

Back