WP Nokia Lumia 920 - Discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nokia's pricing for India always sucks. I wonder why do they have to do this every single fcuking time!

Release the device at an exorbitant price and within a couple of months, slash the price by a great deal. And by then, the phone would have lost its charm since other devices were being offered at competitive rates right from the start. And then Elop cribs and issues a memo 'burning platofrm'! :|

Nokia's pricing for India always sucks. I wonder why do they have to do this every single fcuking time!

Release the device at an exorbitant price and within a couple of months, slash the price by a great deal. And by then, the phone would have lost its charm since other devices were being offered at competitive rates right from the start. And then Elop cribs and issues a memo 'burning platofrm'! :|

Man, every time I see this thread in "New Posts" with your comment as the latest, I think it will be something like "Bought it!"... Damn Nokia, release it already at a reasonable cost.

Man, every time I see this thread in "New Posts" with your comment as the latest, I think it will be something like "Bought it!"... Damn Nokia, release it already at a reasonable cost.

I wish that happens soon Sid. :(

Hell, at least a demo unit somewhere?

I have personally seen and handled 820. It belongs to a person who bought it from UK for 320 pounds (around Rs. 29K) from a normal mobile shop in London in Nov. Its also a LTE version which will not be available in India. We will only get 3G version. Its quite solidly built and hence also heavy :) I think if UK can have it for 29K (that too with LTE) even after having 20% VAT as tax, in India Nokia should not price it more than 24K at all. If priced more, that a very unjust move from Nokia.

Regarding 920, I think its price also should not be more than 32K based on similar pricing in UK.

Dude, 32k will be a kick-ass pricing for the 920 - something that isn't going to happen knowing Nokia since the last decade! :(

Just look at the pricing difference between Oman and The Netherlands for the device. Posted above yours. Hell, with the first few pre-orders in Oman, they are even bundling the pillow and speakers - what a steal deal!

Dude, 32k will be a kick-ass pricing for the 920 - something that isn't going to happen knowing Nokia since the last decade! :(

Just look at the pricing difference between Oman and The Netherlands for the device. Posted above yours. Hell, with the first few pre-orders in Oman, they are even bundling the pillow and speakers - what a steal deal!

How can they see an "enthusiastic response" in Oman and not in a place India? :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like the phone might hit the markets on Jan 11th. At least, the customer care executives/BPO guys are made to answer the queries that way. :lol:

Nokia Lumia 920 and 820 coming to India on the 11th January? | WMPoweruser

Nokia Lumia 920 & 820 launching in India on Jan 11th: Nokia Care Chat

More than the launch date, the pricing is what I am interested in. Looks like the ads have started airing on the TV for sometime now.
Sei - :unsure:

Haha, I had just visited the thread a few minutes back (seeing that the last comment was yours) and was going to leave a wise-ass comment about you still not having the phone :p

PS: Seeing the high (unrealistic) prices of these phones and the fact that most probably no 5"+ Windows Phone is going to release in 2013, I might get tempted and pick up a 15-20k quad-core, 1/2GB RAM phone when Micromax (or other Indian companies) launch it. I am seriously amazed by the VFM-ness of the Micromax A110. Already got 2 of my friends to buy it. Bought it for my dad. Would have bought it for myself if it had 1GB RAM. If they release a phone with 5"+ IPS display, quad-core and 1/2 GB RAM this year, I will have to say goodbye to Windows Phone. :(

Microsoft has totally conceded the budget market to Google. No one can compete with an advertising company on price. Now if you want super cheap tablets, smartphones or even PCs, you have to go for Android or Chrome OS. So, Android is the new Windows as it was in the 90s/00s. As for Windows, they have strict quality guidelines now (netbooks during Vista era irreparably damaged their reputation) especially for tablets and phones, and there's no chance we will see something like Micromax A110 run Windows Phone, or Karbonn Tab run Windows RT. There will be not even be Windows 8 netbooks. It is kind of the middle path between the extremes of Apple and Google.

As for 5+", the max guideline for WP8 is 5", so there will be nothing much larger than Ativ S. Maybe they will address this with 8.5 coming this year. If you want a phablet, Android is your only option today.

I don't understand why does the price seem high.. If iphone 5 can be priced at 45k+, then isn't this one better and cheaper? Understand there is S3 but then in terms of build and quality, am sure 920 could come close to i5?

I don't understand why does the price seem high.. If iphone 5 can be priced at 45k+, then isn't this one better and cheaper? Understand there is S3 but then in terms of build and quality, am sure 920 could come close to i5?

iPhone 5 and Nexus 4 are anomalies, one has religious brand value, the other is subsidized by an advertising company (not in India though). Also, "build and quality" is subjective. S3's chassis may be called "cheap" but let's think of the advantages - it is very slim and light (for its size) and has a removable cover enabling removable battery / microsd slot. You have iPhone 5 which is made of anodized aluminium and looks great but has mediocre ergonomics (for its small size), scratches and scruffs like crazy and is a poor insulator; and then you have Lumia 920 which is built like a tank but is bulky and heavy. Both have sealed batteries and no microsd slots too. It's easy to point and say "oh look, metal is better than plastic" but there are always trade-offs.

^ agree. I have used iphone 5 and it's superior in terms of build, quality and the software, but not even a wee bit vfm at 45k. Having said that, just cos one brand is overpriced, doesn't make it wise for others to follow this path. Apple could have sold more pieces pricing it lower, but then that's not their motive.

With Nokia's pricing strategy, I think that's a fair approach when your brand is in great demand and getting sold off in different markets. Price it at a super premium and then reduce to increase sales. These price cuts should be quick though, before competition becomes a threat..

Well, for one this brand doesn't exactly command a very high resale value. Let's face it - you buy an iPh. 5 today and try selling it 6 months later, you will get a fantastic resale value for the device. For a pristinely maintained phone, you can shave off a few grands and sell it off. You will find takers in no time. An iPhone gets a price cut every year when a newer device is announced and launched - until then, the price announced right from the start stays. So you essentially get what you asked for. It doesn't matter if Samsung has announced their next variant of the Galaxy S, if you have the iPhone well maintained, your device will have takers. Fanboys or genuine users - doesn't matter.

Try doing that with a Nokia device which gets price cuts in every 3~4 months? Not only do you lose a substantial amount right there, you will not get the price you ask for. Look at the Lumia 800 for instance. It launched at a near 30k price tag and one fine day, it was down to 24k, eventually 21k and it is less than 20k today. It has just been over a year after the device launched in India IINM?

It makes a lot of sense to price it right from the start. Do a late launch - it doesn't really matter. But do that with a sensible price and you will find a lot of takers. Just look at the response in the thread when someone hinted a 25k price tag! Keep a check on the price so that it doesn't have to face multiple price cuts over the year.

As for the build and quality, I haven't held the 920 yet but if the reviews are to be trusted, the device is as good as the i5 if not any worse. Sure it doesn't have the anodized Alu. back or the diamond cut beveled edges but that polycarbonate body could feel rock solid in the hand - better than most of the plasticky Galaxy devices Samsung has ever released; with all due respect to all the GS users! The phone has Gorilla Glass 2, I read on multiple sources. That's a good thing so at least it could resist a few scratches from a bunch of keys in the pocket. It may very well crack in the event of a fall though - most phones do. I don't really care since I wouldn't subject it to a torture test anyway. The optics are the best in the smartphone department - no questions asked. I was completely shocked at the low-light images this device could capture!

I have personally seen and handled 820. It belongs to a person who bought it from UK for 320 pounds (around Rs. 29K) from a normal mobile shop in London in Nov. Its also a LTE version which will not be available in India. We will only get 3G version. Its quite solidly built and hence also heavy :) I think if UK can have it for 29K (that too with LTE) even after having 20% VAT as tax, in India Nokia should not price it more than 24K at all. If priced more, that a very unjust move from Nokia.

Regarding 920, I think its price also should not be more than 32K based on similar pricing in UK.

I mentioned my view about pricing earlier in my above post. I have added information in the other thread about pricing in 'Latest Technology News', just repeating here.

According the lady in Nokia Priority dealer in Pune (Karve road), 820 will launch of 25K and 920 for 35K. They will get limited stock on 15 Jan.

So my prediction about 820 atleast seems to nearly coming true :) Waiting for 11 Jan now to know actual price :)

It makes a lot of sense to price it right from the start.

True, but I guess the biggest difference is in positioning. Iphone is a class phone, whereas Nokia would be a mass phone (at least until the prices are dropped.) Till such time, it finds market among the class users.

Nothing wrong with this approach though, the company gets to make super-profits initially and the users get to show-off? And these users are not complaining as there is always an new Lumia 9XX coming? As for the super-mass users, they can wait for 3 more months and the mass for 6 months..

This phone could well be touted as a 'class' phone going by the performance. With the right pricing, it will enable Nokia to capture the lost market in the country and give a boost to its revenues ultimately. All said and done, I hope Nokia prices the device suitably in the country. It has 2 more days until the launch event at Delhi.

Enquired at a local mobile outlet and he said the pricing was 38k. When I asked him the authenticity of that price, he couldn't answer well - quite possibly that was the price spread by the word of mouth and the internet.

*fingers crossed*

What diff its going to be with Lumia 920 900_Bl - Nokia Lumia 900 Cyan Blue??? Planning to get 900 instead from US

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back