WP Nokia Lumia 920 - Discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
HDFC Bank has also launched their application for Windows 8. I am having almost all the apps that I had on my iPhone now. No issues at all.

So I am almost certain to get a 920 as my next phone, possibly this month or next. 2 questions:
1) This is going to be the first phone with a non user-replaceable battery that I will be using. What do you guys do when the phone hangs/freezes? I mean how do you do a hard reset? (And don't tell me that the phone never hangs o_O)

2) Has there been any news of the next Nokia flagship? I mean is the 920 near the end of its life cycle?

So I am almost certain to get a 920 as my next phone, possibly this month or next. 2 questions:
1) This is going to be the first phone with a non user-replaceable battery that I will be using. What do you guys do when the phone hangs/freezes? I mean how do you do a hard reset? (And don't tell me that the phone never hangs o_O)

2) Has there been any news of the next Nokia flagship? I mean is the 920 near the end of its life cycle?

1. Google
2. Nope. No news.

Be warned the OS gets boring in less than a month

1. Soft reset - pressing volume down + power for 10 seconds, the phone reboots. A soft reset is in most cases, sufficient to fix the phone if it hangs. This does not erase the data stored within the device.

Hard reset - pressing volume down + camera + power for sometime and release the power button keeping the other two pressed until it vibrates. This erases all the data inc. contacts.

2. Lumia 928 with the Alu. casing. No the 920 is not close to its end of its life cycle. The device was launched last year end.

Lumia 928 is for Verizon IIRC. Rumours suggest Lumia 950/EOS will be announced during Nokia World and will be available in last quarter, similar to 920 announcement and availability.

Yes, that's pretty much it, my guess is there will be variants such as 928. But the basic internals - screen, processor etc. (EOS/Pureview will have a different camera of course) - will remain unchanged till Windows Phone Blue ships later in the year, probably October, which is when we will see the next-gen devices.

Is this going to be a world phone like most recent Verizon launches? That would make this very interesting indeed.

What about the following problems encountered in Windows Phone 8:
(sorry I couldn't find appropriate thread for this)

1. http://www.ijsmblog.com/2013/02/stil...rosoft-on.html
Talks about the storage space running out because of some mysterious behind the scene stuff which MS refuses to acknowledge and act upon.

2. Can not sync with Outlook by connecting to PC via USB cable!!!
I simply don't have words to express my frustration/anger/disappointment/sadness.

3. No file manager in the phone.
So then what is the point of plug-n-play USB support for drag'n'drop file transfer?

1. http://www.ijsmblog.com/2013/02/stil...rosoft-on.html
Talks about the storage space running out because of some mysterious behind the scene stuff which MS refuses to acknowledge and act upon.

Didn't notice this until I read this. Not sure about this, hasn't been a problem so far as even without this I have 21GB free

2. Can not sync with Outlook by connecting to PC via USB cable!!!

What exactly does this mean? Connecting to Exchange accounts isn't an issue and it blends really well there, but I assume this isn't what you are looking for.

3. No file manager in the phone.
So then what is the point of plug-n-play USB support for drag'n'drop file transfer?

What could be a possible usage for this? For videos, music, images and docs, I open them directly from within the respective app.

1. Didn't notice this until I read this. Not sure about this, hasn't been a problem so far as even without this I have 21GB free

2. What exactly does this mean? Connecting to Exchange accounts isn't an issue and it blends really well there, but I assume this isn't what you are looking for.

3. What could be a possible usage for this? For videos, music, images and docs, I open them directly from within the respective app.
1. This is a problem which lesser Lumia's will face because of low inherent storage, but still it is an issue.
2. People use Outlook not just for emails but also for calender/appointments/meetings. Especially in office environment. Most office outlook exchange servers authorize only BB services. Nevertheless, if you have a phone (like Android, or even my poor Sony ericson k810) - I can connect my phone to PC, and sync the outlook calender with my phone calender. For some reasons MS decided that this is not a "good way" and dropped this basic elimentary feature.
Same goes for Office contacts, to-do lists, etc
3. Why not? There is a possibility of me transferring the pdf file in a folder marked as "Temp" during the file transfer. How will I fetch this file now?

First off, Windows Phone is not designed as a secondary device you have to keep connecting to your PC at every step. It is an independent computing device of its own. Yes, we are not completely there yet, but the idea is simple - everything is connected together by the cloud, not by USB cables. The cloud is at the center, not your PC; the PC is just another device in the same class as your phone. Of course, it is not just Windows; Apple, Google, everyone is embracing this ideal.

To that effect, everything syncs via Exchange ActiveSync. Calendars, contacts, e-mails, everything. Outlook is just one client, Windows Phone is another, etc. Why on earth would you want to connect USB cables to copy contacts or calendar?!? That is so 2005 and a giant pain!

Same goes for PDF, you just add it to Skydrive and it syncs automatically across all your devices. Of course, for large files like music or videos, you can connect and copy paste in your PC's file manager, that option is always there; the apps will index the newly copied files. But even for that, with Xbox Music and Xbox Video (not to mention other such services, esp Nokia Music) everything is moving to the cloud. India is behind as usual, but we will get there.

As for that cache issue, it only applies for the low end phones, but even then the phone automatically clears up cache once the phone runs low on space. The only thing missing is a manual trigger, which Joe Belfiore on Twitter has confirmed is coming in the next update (GDR2?). But even now there are apps like Shrink Storage which can trick the phone into clearing the cache. Basically, a non-issue.

1. This is a problem which lesser Lumia's will face because of low inherent storage, but still it is an issue.
Agree.

2. People use Outlook not just for emails but also for calender/appointments/meetings. Especially in office environment. Most office outlook exchange servers authorize only BB services. Nevertheless, if you have a phone (like Android, or even my poor Sony ericson k810) - I can connect my phone to PC, and sync the outlook calender with my phone calender. For some reasons MS decided that this is not a "good way" and dropped this basic elimentary feature.
Same goes for Office contacts, to-do lists, etc
If I get this right, you are talking about a feature that allows Outlook to sync with your phone when connected to the PC. I wasn't aware such a thing was possible (on any platform).

However, talking in terms of Exchange server integration, it works very well indeed. I am connected to my company's exchange server, and it syncs mails, calendar - including appointments, and tasks, allows me to flag messages just like I do in Outlook, and also reply and schedule meetings involving conference rooms. Of course all this without having to connect to the PC. What you are referring to probably helps if your phone doesn't have an internet connection, or cannot connect to the Exchange server through the internet - in both these cases I feel the Outlook copy on the phone would go out of sync rendering the whole purpose useless.

3. Why not? There is a possibility of me transferring the pdf file in a folder marked as "Temp" during the file transfer. How will I fetch this file now?

How I do it is, I open Office on the phone, select the document (pdf) and it opens in its default app (Reader in my case).

I think I did make it clear that a lot of company's exchange servers DO NOT allow anything except Balckberrys.
Yes corporate sector is still in 2005.

Dropping USB support in WP8 (or was it 7.5?) doesn't make ANY sense. When there already is a way to transfer file over USB.
Not everyone wants to use Cloud. If Cloud is the answer for everything, then why even give a USB connector?

About the file manager - the way it's working on WP8 - works. BUT doesn't offer any control.
What would you feel if the same happens on your PC?

About the file manager - the way it's working on WP8 - works. BUT doesn't offer any control.
What would you feel if the same happens on your PC?

I still don't get this part. So far you said you wanted to locate a particular file. Locate and do what? Edit? Delete? Upload? What kind of functionality of a file manager are you looking for here? What control in particular?

I won't compare a phone with a PC. That's baseless. My PC can't make phone calls nor can it fit into my pocket

Has anyone got the 1308 update with fixes for the 'other' storage and some inage and display related enhancements?

@Sub, @Gannu do you guys use BoardExpress considering the search is broken and I am not able to look up TE. I have been using Foroplex which is decent but would like if there is something better

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there any search replacement app as such on the 920? I really miss the system-wide search functionality.. And, no, I haven't received the 1308 update yet. My phone is still on 1249 and claims to be "up to date".

Thanks to Sub & Agantuk, I guess Windows Phone isn't really a bad deal.
Yesteday I tried using the Outlook hotmail connector, and did manage to get all the Work Outlook calender copied to my Hotmail calender.
I guess the phone will download the data from Hotmail calender and display on phone.
?
If that happens the issue about outlook sync in mostly done with.
Surprisingly, the Outlook contacts are not getting copied to Hotmail contacts ...

And I guess I can live with File manager shortcomings ... Lumia 520 <10K looks like a better deal than most other Androids technical spec wise.

Update: Firmware 1308 is now rolling out in India. Just installed it on my phone. The new storage check feature is there but surprisingly, I can't seem the find the new colour temperature calibration tool shown in videos online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back