WP Nokia Lumia 920 - Discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy crap! The damn thing played a bunch of .mp4/.wmv blu-ray rips absolutely butter smooth! :scared14:

Looks like I seriously underestimated the prowess of this device! Out of those files, one was a 12 GB rip.

But few more gripes - no stop watch or countdown timer application! What a bummer. :annoyed:

Holy crap! The damn thing played a bunch of .mp4/.wmv blu-ray rips absolutely butter smooth! :scared14:

Looks like I seriously underestimated the prowess of this device! Out of those files, one was a 12 GB rip.

But few more gripes - no stop watch or countdown timer application! What a bummer. :annoyed:

Snapdragon S4's hardware decode is pretty good, we saw that in Android devices too.

There are a few timer apps in the Store. The one I use is "StopWatch", does what you would expect a stopwatch/countdown app too. But, yes, there is definitely a few minor things missing in Windows Phone.

Now, all we need is the VLC app to come out and we are set. :D

Good stuff.

@Sub: what application do you use for opening .pdf?

Last edited by a moderator:
Now, all we need is the VLC app to come out and we are set. :D

Good stuff.

Sub: what application do you use for opening .pdf?

I've just used Microsoft's PDF Reader. It's very basic but so far I haven't needed anything else. Apparently, there used to be an Adobe Reader but Microsoft rushed this one when Adobe failed to release a WP8 version on time. So this is version 1.0 rush job and will get better with time surely, as the Reader app in Windows 8 is pretty good. There must be some third party apps though, haven't looked so far. Interestingly PDFs show up in Office, but direct to PDF Reader. Wish they would open in Word like in Office 2013.

I've just used Microsoft's PDF Reader. It's very basic but so far I haven't needed anything else. Apparently, there used to be an Adobe Reader but Microsoft rushed this one when Adobe failed to release a WP8 version on time. So this is version 1.0 rush job and will get better with time surely, as the Reader app in Windows 8 is pretty good. There must be some third party apps though, haven't looked so far. Interestingly PDFs show up in Office, but direct to PDF Reader. Wish they would open in Word like in Office 2013.

I really wish Adobe outs an application soon. I used Microsoft's PDF reader but there's no option to delete the .pdf from the device (or I am missing something!). Checked the folder structure after connecting to the PC. Nada.

Sub: Which other applications do you use on your WP 8 device? What of weather based app.? TWC?

The Lumia clock does it. I use it when I need to time an application run. Lumia Clock | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (????)

Several other third-party apps. would but that isn't the point.

This is a simple utility found on the cheapest of cellphones! Why miss it on this platform?!

Nokia Drive+ Beta issue: The method of calculating the route to a destination needs to be worked out better. For instance, point A to point B - the easiest way to get there and the shortest distance was 5 km. But the app. incorrectly showed a lengthier route which resulted in 9 km! A whole U-turn essentially touching the city and back to point B. This needs to be improved. But the recalculated route was shown quite quickly (and correctly) the moment we took the detour through the alternate route.

I really wish Adobe outs an application soon. I used Microsoft's PDF reader but there's no option to delete the .pdf from the device (or I am missing something!). Checked the folder structure after connecting to the PC. Nada.

Sub: Which other applications do you use on your WP 8 device? What of weather based app.? TWC?

That is pretty weird! Doesn't seem like an obvious way to delete the pdfs. By the way, Adobe recently released Reader for Windows 8/RT, which is surprisingly good compared to their Desktop readers. Hopefully Reader will be back on Windows Phone. In any case I expect Microsoft to update the PDF Reader app, it is obvious it is a beta app.

I find myself using the first party apps most of the time. Apart from that, I use Nextgen Reader a lot. There are many amazing weather apps on Windows Phone, Amazing Weather HD, AccuWeather, etc., but I chose Weather Flow. TWC is solid but there are better options. Other obvious ones are Skype and Whatsapp; GMaps for Google Maps, though I rarely use this. Unify is a surprisingly useful PC remote designed for Windows 8 PCs, other apps - MeTweets, 4th and Mayor, Freda, Baconit, Metrotube (must-have if you use Youtube often), Zomato, Runtastic, Translate, Battery Status and BBC News (I mostly just check the live tile, rarely actually opening it). Also, I have got some websites pinned.

For my usage, I am not really missing anything, though I look forward to some things. The general quality of most of these apps is excellent, in some cases maybe it is just adhering to Metro style and showing live tiles? Especially the little known third party apps - Weather Flow, Nextgen Reader, MeTweets (or Rowi), Metrotube etc - Android/iOS users would never have heard of these names - yet they are the best mobile apps of their type on any platform. Interestingly, these names will be familiar to Windows 8/RT users, there's definitely a parallel Windows centric developer community building up, focused on great design. My experience with apps in Windows Phone has turned out to be far superior to Android or iOS, really surprising because everything pointed towards being set up for disappointment. Obviously my usage is different, I am sure Instagram or Swype users will never leave Android, for example.

The only thing I miss from Android is the ability to schedule profiles. I don't mean a half-assed Do Not Disturb as in iOS, but proper profile scheduling. Again, this is a unique need and it takes a grand total of 10 seconds to set up things, but would like to see this included in an app or preferably natively in future versions.

Speaking of Drive+ Beta, looks like the beta is now available for all non-Nokia Windows Phone 8 devices. The beta is restricted to US, UK and Canada, but pretty sure the final Drive+ will be launched internationally for all WP8 devices. Also they will surely work out the calculation bugs for the final release. They should release Nokia Maps too, after all they released Here on iOS/Android. It seems bizarre that they wouldn't release a mapping app on Windows Phone!

PS: All of this should really go in a Windows Phone 8 thread. Maybe split and make a new one?

Yeah the Drive is in the Beta stage so these errors are not uncommon. I hope the final app. shall deliver.

PS: All of this should really go in a Windows Phone 8 thread. Maybe split and make a new one?

Go ahead and create one. :)

@Gannu I'd recommend wpcentral.com for all the news/update/apps related to WP8 :) Btw, there is already a WP7 thread, could you rename it to just Windows Phone Thread ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Gannu I'd recommend wpcentral.com for all the news/update/apps related to WP8 :) Btw, there is already a WP7 thread, could you rename it to just Windows Phone Thread ?

Been following it since last December! :p

I doubt if changing WP 7 to WP would make sense because WP 8 has a whole bunch of new features that separates it from its older brethren. A new thread IMO would be good. Besides, once WP 7.8 happens, the older thread would be frequented by the users with queries/findings/issues. Which might make it cluttered if the WP8 crowd pitches in as well.

I want to buy the NL 920, but the my price point for this device is around the 28k ish figure..

Would it make sense to order it from US (My folks are visiting in Apr 13) ? When will unlock codes be released ?

Because as it stands today, its available for 700$ which is at par (if not more) with the Indian pricing.

Available for 33199 from Indiatimes only for today after coupon FLASH2501

lumia 920, Buy Online at Indiatimes Shopping

vfPfnzR.jpg

Hey, you guys have any idea when the infamous 'others' storage issue might get fixed? I was thinking of picking a lumia, but two things are scaring me, first the 'other storage' bug, and second that it has no file manager or a good video player.

The storage area works fine for me. The point of having a file manager comes into picture when you want to browse files which do not have association. Since that is not supported by OS itself, there is no point in having it. If you have to see photos you can use the photo viewere, music - xbox music, documents - office. So the point of having a file manager is moot.

Has anyone here bought a 920 from the US and UNLOCKED it? I see some really good deals, but need confirmation about the unlock before taking the plunge. I read conflicting experiences regarding the unlock on wpcentral

Has anyone here bought a 920 from the US and UNLOCKED it? I see some really good deals, but need confirmation about the unlock before taking the plunge. I read conflicting experiences regarding the unlock on wpcentral

No unlock codes are available for the AT&T 920 yet. Had a chat with someone who works for AT&T and he told me they will be providing unlock codes very soon. Thats the only reason I have been holding out on buying this phone. I mean I can get one for just 20k and get it unlocked, so why waste the 35k now, especially when I am not certain I will stick with WP.

Well in my case I definitely will stick to this platform as Nokia hasn't been making anything else and I also like WP. I don't mind getting the phone now and using all its other features for a while as long as the unlock codes are made available by May - the most commonly mentioned time period when they would be available. I know guarantees for dates are hard to come by, so was checking if someone had any luck

Yeah, you are right. you are getting the AT&T NLs from anywhere between 220$ - 400$ which is a good deal. Add to that a 10$ unlock code and you are good to go. .

People on WPC are saying that the codes will be out in Apr/May :(

I don't mind getting the phone now and using all its other features for a while as long as the unlock codes are made available by May - the most commonly mentioned time period when they would be available. I know guarantees for dates are hard to come by, so was checking if someone had any luck

Wouldnt purchasing it in around May be a better idea itself?
You ll prolly get it even cheaper.. or am i missing something here ?

! 0 t A
U mean carrier locked and sim free pieces with that specified range of 220-400.. right ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back