CPU/Mobo No beep from mobo, but everything's working fine ?

alcy

Disciple
Hello folks, I did my first ever build yesterday & I think I have got it right pretty much, but I can't hear any beep from my board on startup. All fans are running, RAM is detected fine, display is working good. Should I be concerned ?

Cpu- Core i7 920
Motherboard- MSI Pro-E
There is something more I need to ask, and that is, the headphone jack on the top panel of CM 690 gives output only in one earphone (left). I checked my connections again, and they were done according to the motherboard & cabinet specifications. Not a big problem, the rear panel ports are working fine, but it would be helpful if someone could help me with this.

Thanks.

Not all motherboards give a beep after successfully POSTing. Check your motherboard manual about beep codes. it depends on whether your bios is AMI or Award. Usually AMI does not beep whereas Award does.

As your motherboard comes with 8 channel audio and jack sensing, make sure you have selected the front output as Headphones in the Mixer software(usually comes up in the system tray after you install the driver).

unixguru said:
Not all motherboards give a beep after successfully POSTing. Check your motherboard manual about beep codes. it depends on whether your bios is AMI or Award. Usually AMI does not beep whereas Award does.

As your motherboard comes with 8 channel audio and jack sensing, make sure you have selected the front output as Headphones in the Mixer software(usually comes up in the system tray after you install the driver).

Oh well, I am on Karmic 64 bit & the sound preferences are a little convoluted.

Thanks for the help regarding beep codes.

still have u tried connecting the cabby speaker to the mobos front panel properly...and in amibios theres an option in bios to give SUCCESSIVE BOOT BEEP. You can try enabling the same.

^^There were two cables from cabinet: HD Audio & AC 97. I checked the pin diagrams for both & confirmed from the motherboard manual that I had to use Intel HD Audio. If you want me try something else, let me know. Thanks.

^^

You would have a JFP2 (4 pin) and an Azalia Spec (5 pin). Which is connected to the front panel of the cabinet...?

JFP1 is for the power / reset. If I remember, the top headphone wire connector for audio, will have 2 connectors (daisy changed), on for HD and one for Azalia Audio. Use the latter. It should fit onto the board. 5 pin.

^^thanks for replying, am not sure if I follow though. I couldn't be more dumb when I said JFP1 connected to top panel. Sh*t.

I have connected the HD Audio cable from the top panel to the audio port on the board. How do I proceed from here ?

Dont know much about MSI motherboard, but in ASUS mobo (which m using) there are two settings named AZALIA AUDIO and FP SELECT . The default settings are external codec+internal codec and HD audio respectively. For the FP SELECT i have changed it to AC 97 . You can try this in your mobo if these settings are identical to your mobo...

Ok...

Connect the AC'97 wire to the JAUD1 pin header on your motherboard. Do no use the HI-DEF Azalia one. JAUD1 should be to the far most left on your board..

^^ I am on linux 64 bit, and I just checked the messages log, there does seem to be a small error regarding the drivers.

Code:
hda_codec: Unknown model for ALC889, trying auto-probe from BIOS...

I'll see what can be done.

Back