New Phone, S3 or GNexus?

SunnyBoi

Branch Manager
Staff member
Patron
So the trackball on my Nexus One kinda died (up and down do not work. I can boot into recovery but do nothing :mad: )

Thinking of getting a new phone.

From where I stay, galaxy nexus will cost me ~25K and Galaxy S3 will cost me ~39K. Looking to buy a long term phone, my current Nexus One has been with me since 11 Jan 2010!

S3 pros

Its newer!
4 cores!

S3 cons

costlier
samsung crap ( sorta forced me to sell my S2 )
there is the dual-core A15 and 2GB USA version. Which one to get?

GNexus pros

cheaper!
instant jellybean! yay!
Google phone so no samsung crap.

GNexus cons:

longetivity? will it last as long as my Nexus One did?
wont get any warranty since i have to buy the ones shipped from USA

Please help!

spending 25K on a phone with no warranty??? I am too looking for the nexus, but there is no way i am going to spend that much without seller warranty. hence the G nexus is out of the equation.\

EDIT : i thought your trackball died!!

IMO, there is no point in being paranoid about warranty. You anyways pay a premium for getting it in warranty. I have been using high-end smartphones since last 5 years (most of them without warranty). Worst case: If your phone goes bad, you can get it fixed by paying. And in any case you are paying less than you would if you bought a phone with warranty.

IMO, there is no point in being paranoid about warranty. You anyways pay a premium for getting it in warranty. I have been using high-end smartphones since last 5 years (most of them without warranty). Worst case: If your phone goes bad, you can get it fixed by paying. And in any case you are paying less than you would if you bought a phone with warranty.

I was indeed lucky. Another colleague ordered his N1 the next day after I ordered, then another ordered a month after. Both of their power buttons conked off in 4 months while its working on mine. However I never expected this phone to last 2.5 years, despite the trackball's functions dying, I can still use the phone.

I'm in the exact same dilemma.

Have you considered the Sony Xperia S or the HTC One X?

When will the next Nexus phone be released?

Nope, never considered them. Perhaps the fact that One X battery cannot be replaced drove me away from it.

So which one are you buying ?

SunnyBoi, i am thinking of getting the nexus prime tomorrow :p or should i get the Xperia S :p ? Jelly Bean is too tempting lol.

Most probably its a GNexus. Price difference is too much to chew at the moment, No point of buying a S3 with warranty here because it wont be good in India, I first thought I will miss the SD Card slot on GNexus, but then realized for the first 2 years I used the 4GB Card that came with the N1 on my phone, recently moved to a 16GB Card and still there is 10GB free space on it.

Nexus = No memory card slot, you are stuck @ 16GB
S3 = Memory card, but cheap plasticky design that makes it look cheap (Yeah, Samsung doesn't pay its designers enough to churn out good devices)

Have a Look at HTC One X once, if you get a chance hold it in your hand and play with it for a few minutes, you'll never even speak of Sammy again ;)
You may also want to look at HTC One V and S, even they are pretty good.

Even i am want to buy a new android phone. I have given up on my spica after 2 years. It is damn slow and battery has started to bulge. Don't know when it will explode.

Galaxy Nexus - Great dev support. Still decent hardware. Can manage with 16GB. Should probably run 2 new Android OS after JellyBean. But no warranty

Galaxy S3 - Good Dev Support. Expensive. Not sure if it is worth that much

HTC One X - No removable battery is my biggest worry. My Spica battery is going kaput after 2 yrs. Dont want the same to happen with a 30k phone

HTC One S - Not worth the money for a S3 chipset

Galaxy S2 - Is the dev support good for G version??

Stiil not sure which one to get

Lucky you guys. I am also looking for Galaxy Nexus but not finding any good deal online. I think 27k is too much considering Google has reduced prices of Galaxy Nexus.

in which area i can get it for 24.5k????

do anyone know where can i get nexus for 24-24.5k in chennai???/

I stay in Mumbai, Goregaon. A friend was very high about getting this nexus, so I gave this shop's number as the shopkeeper is a friend and can cover up if there's any fault (since it does not have warranty), the shopkeeper quoted 24.5k (Actually it is 25k) but the prospective buyer said "Dad is not allowing me to buy so expensive handset", this is how I know the price of that model, else I don't like it as it has locked memory of 16 Gigs

Even I am confused between Nexus and S3 ! Leaning towards Nexus because of bloatware and price differential. In Delhi Ghaffar, Nexus is for Rs 24K (Without warranty) and S3 is for Rs 36K (with warranty).

Was wondering whether the case and screen guard is available for Nexus easily in the market since the phone has not been launched in India.

Even I am confused between Nexus and S3 ! Leaning towards Nexus because of bloatware and price differential. In Delhi Ghaffar, Nexus is for Rs 24K (Without warranty) and S3 is for Rs 36K (with warranty).

Was wondering whether the case and screen guard is available for Nexus easily in the market since the phone has not been launched in India.

Yes it is search Ebay.in, does Nexus even come with a MANUFACTURER warranty here?

Back