New Laptop - Help Me Decide - MacBook Pros vs. Sony Vaio

McAgnel said:
I don't play games at all.

I installed windows7 using bootcamp, is there something you want to test?

FIFA 10 PLEASE!

Oh, and heavy multitasking on Windows (1080p video, heavy Firefox usage, iTunes)?

:thanx:

^ will let you know in a day or two... got some projects at hand, will try to squeeze in time to do that.

FIFA10 demo would do right? :S

I was streaming 1080p on YT, it was stunning... absolutely no problems at all. But haven't tried 20-30 tabs open.. I keep 10 tabs open at max.

Keane 16 said:
FIFA 10 PLEASE!

Oh, and heavy multitasking on Windows (1080p video, heavy Firefox usage, iTunes)?

:thanx:

stop breaking your head over multitasking. These processors will handle them with ease.

for gaming performance, have you taken a look at notebookcheck? they have some of the best charts around.

stalker said:
stop breaking your head over multitasking. These processors will handle them with ease.
for gaming performance, have you taken a look at notebookcheck? they have some of the best charts around.
I have a computer powered by a P8400(2.26GHz) and 3gigs of Ram right now. The 13" MBP is powered by a P8600(2.4Ghz) and 4gigs of Ram. So obviously I'm asking about multi-tasking because my current machine isn't powerful enough for my liking.

McAgnel said:
^ will let you know in a day or two... got some projects at hand, will try to squeeze in time to do that.
FIFA10 demo would do right? :S

I was streaming 1080p on YT, it was stunning... absolutely no problems at all. But haven't tried 20-30 tabs open.. I keep 10 tabs open at max.
Yup, demo would work too.

I can stream 1080p on Youtube even on my current rig without any problem - it starts to stutter if I open up other tabs though.

Oh.. in that case, please ask someone on macrumors about your needs. Those guys play a lot of games on mac.

There isn't much regarding the spec.. and I'm pretty sure, the improvement in proc is very minimal for your liking. Go for the i5 then...

Keane 16 said:
I can stream 1080p on Youtube even on my current rig without any problem - it starts to stutter if I open up other tabs though.

Do you have the 10.3 beta of flash? It does hardware acceleration for HD (not sure of the exact version).

McAgnel said:
Oh.. in that case, please ask someone on macrumors about your needs. Those guys play a lot of games on mac.

There isn't much regarding the spec.. and I'm pretty sure, the improvement in proc is very minimal for your liking. Go for the i5 then...

Just so I'm clear - are you going to try the FIFA demo?

stalker said:
Do you have the 10.3 beta of flash? It does hardware acceleration for HD (not sure of the exact version).

Nope. Older version.

And I had another question. So if you dual boot OSX and Windows 7, how smooth is data accessing across the two OSs. I mean, if I work on some data using Windows 7 and then access it on OSX?

McAgnel said:
No.

Since you already have a machine very close to the specification of C2D, I guess we know what would be the obvious answer.
Well that had more to do with seeing how the 320M handles the game, not the processor.
Anyway, I'll post on macrumors.

Keane 16 said:
And I had another question. So if you dual boot OSX and Windows 7, how smooth is data accessing across the two OSs. I mean, if I work on some data using Windows 7 and then access it on OSX?

By default you can access the NTFS volumes in read only mode in OS X. So you can read/copy any data you have on a Windows NTFS volume. You can also mount the volumes with read/write using NTFS-3G. Check out google for guides.

For accessing Mac HFS volumes from Windows, there are commercial utilities available, but I myself use a freeware tool called HFS Explorer and it serves my purpose well although you don't have the ease of using Windows Exporer.

Finally decided to order the 15" 2010 MBP. $1699(Education Store)+taxes of my hard earned dollars in Mr. Jobs' pocket.

Better be worth it, superczar. ;)

Thanks for your help Styx, udayrulez, McAgnel, Lord Nemesis!

^ Nice... good luck with it.
Did you get apple care with it? you'll get a discount of 25% on the apple care me thinks if both are purchased on the same receipt.

Nah, I'll get Apple Care off Ebay when the warranty's close to expiring. Much cheaper on Ebay...

Btw, I'm still not a 100% sure about the 15". The 320M does seem to be a fairly solid video card, but overall it's a less powerful computer. But then again, more it's more portable and has better battery life.

Keane 16 said:
Nah, I'll get Apple Care off Ebay when the warranty's close to expiring. Much cheaper on Ebay...

Btw, I'm still not a 100% sure about the 15". The 320M does seem to be a fairly solid video card, but overall it's a less powerful computer. But then again, more it's more portable and has better battery life.
The Moral of the Story is

You made a good choice

Back