Camera New Camera - Suggestions required...HELP!!!

mav2000

Skilled
Ok...so now on the hunt for a new camera. Mainly to be used indoors and very rarely outside. Pics of the family, some outings and holidays and also the rig work and reviews that I do. These are what I have found till now:

Pana FZ40 -21k
Pana DMC G1 with kit lens - 23k
Cannon SX 30 IS - 24.5k
Nikon P100 - 19k
Cannon D1000 with kit lens - 21.5k

Basically I want good low light as well as great macro and a good working manual focus, which I dont have on my SX 200 right now. Most of the point and shoot and super zooms say manual focus, but I cant get it to work.

Since its for product photos also... u can take some very weird angle shots if u got a swivel LCD. i think.

so my vote goes to fz100.

OR perhaps a DSLR with macro lens. so u might look only body + kit lens options and get a good macro lens. but it will go over 30k. even if its 1000D.

not D1000. :)

mav2000 said:
Ok...so now on the hunt for a new camera. Mainly to be used indoors and very rarely outside. Pics of the family, some outings and holidays and also the rig work and reviews that I do. These are what I have found till now:

Pana FZ40 -21k

Pana DMC G1 with kit lens - 23k

Cannon SX 30 IS - 24.5k

Nikon P100 - 19k

Cannon D1000 with kit lens - 21.5k

Basically I want good low light as well as great macro and a good working manual focus, which I dont have on my SX 200 right now. Most of the point and shoot and super zooms say manual focus, but I cant get it to work.
If you want low light and good Macro then go for DSLR. But keep in mind that budget will exceed to 30 to 35k depending on Lens. Otherwise FZ40 or FZ100 is a Great all round camera :) i would also suggest you to go through "http://www.techenclave.com/general-portables/canon-d1000-vs-panasonic-fz35-177005.html#post1629005" which might help you in choosing camera.

--

Aj

Thanks will look into those. But does the FZ40 have manual focus. I like to take shots with the background blurred out and am not able to do so with a point and shoot till now at least.

mav2000 said:
Thanks will look into those. But does the FZ40 have manual focus. I like to take shots with the background blurred out and am not able to do so with a point and shoot till now at least.
well i have been able to take great portraits(with good DOF or background blur) with Portrait mode and in IA mode. as per the website you can control the focus manually. chk out DMC-FZ45/DMC-FZ40 | PRODUCTS | LUMIX | Digital Camera | Panasonic Global

this is the global website which gives complete info on FZ40. Also chk out FZ100 its more loaded :)DMC-FZ100 | PRODUCTS | LUMIX | Digital Camera | Panasonic Global

Well the price difference is minimal, so why the FZ100 and not the 40. Any extra features?From what I read, the 40 seems to be better and lighter

Well, I have a totally different point of view for this..

No doubt, DSLR is FTW in any of the case and requirement, but I am afraid if U really need it.

Though DSLR will give you excellent low light performance and manual focus, for decent closeup work U need a good lens with decent magnification. so make extra 10k (atleast) for the lens.

However, since only indoor general use and bit holidaying + rig shots are needed, I dont find DSLR as a must.

Nor do I understand why superzooms.. Do you really need a excellent zooming range???

For anything around ~25k, instead of superzooms I rather feel that advance compact camera will be better and they deliver much better low light performance and controls.

U cant hope for nice manual focus experience in anything below DSLR. Advance compacts do have better low light performance than superzoom. some give U f/2.8 also for shoot.

From my side, I think something like Canon G11 (or G12) / Canon S90 (or S95) are better deals..

Some option from Nikon and fujifilm (they bigger sensor stuff) are also there in competition.. However, I have less knowledge of those models..

^^ Well said ! :)

Superzooms have tiny sensors to accommodate those huge zoom range lenses.

Better P&S cameras have bigger sensors and work better for low light.

Dont worry about blurred backgrounds as in macro photography you will get very shallow DOF.

So as Ashvary says get a camera like the Canon G11 or G10.

mav2000 said:
Well the price difference is minimal, so why the FZ100 and not the 40. Any extra features?From what I read, the 40 seems to be better and lighter
FZ100 has below adv:

1. Full HD video

2. 3" free angle LCD, I think this means articulating.

3. 11fps full rez bursts for 15 frames

4. Hot shoe

5. 60fps high speed bursts at 3.5 megapixels

6. In camera video dividing

you can also chk out using below compare tool :)

Compare Product | LUMIX | Digital Camera | Panasonic Global

--

Aj

Thanks guys, will check out the S95 as well as the G11. ANything in the Lumix range for the same specs?

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

The G11 seems to be a lot more expensive and the s95 is not available. What abt the Pana DMC G1?

The s90 seems to be the ticket.....does it have a good macro mode and low light mode. I like the ring idea around the lens.

Hey,

Just in case you are also considering the Canon G11/12 and are ok with that size and weight for a camera, I highly recommend the Olympus EPL-1, it cost 25K, has the best image quality for any camera under 30K (DSLRs included). Gives HD movie recording, full manual controls along with full auto controls as well. Once you buy the S90, you might grow out of it soon. The Olympus EPL-1 for 25K will last you a lot longer.

Here is the link to purchase it off ebay thru jjmehta for 25K with 2 yrs olmypus warranty and you can use the interest free EMI option too :)

eBay India: Olympus PEN EPL-1 Digital SLR with 14-42mm Lens (item 190471831168 end time 01-Dec-2010 09:30:00 IST)

The above recommendation stands true only if you are looking at megazoom/ultrazoom or the Canon G11 sized cameras. If you are looking for compact cameras, the Canon S95 is your best bet, its the most compact camera that gives you image quality that is equal to the Canon G12.

Hope this helps.

Wasp said:
Hey,

Just in case you are also considering the Canon G11/12 and are ok with that size and weight for a camera, I highly recommend the Olympus EPL-1, it cost 25K, has the best image quality for any camera under 30K (DSLRs included). Gives HD movie recording, full manual controls along with full auto controls as well. Once you buy the S90, you might grow out of it soon. The Olympus EPL-1 for 25K will last you a lot longer.

Here is the link to purchase it off ebay thru jjmehta for 25K with 2 yrs olmypus warranty and you can use the interest free EMI option too :)

eBay India: Olympus PEN EPL-1 Digital SLR with 14-42mm Lens (item 190471831168 end time 01-Dec-2010 09:30:00 IST)

The above recommendation stands true only if you are looking at megazoom/ultrazoom or the Canon G11 sized cameras. If you are looking for compact cameras, the Canon S95 is your best bet, its the most compact camera that gives you image quality that is equal to the Canon G12.

Hope this helps.
Agreed, EPL-1 is better option... But what about the lenses??? They doesnt come for free.. :p

BTW, I guess Canon S90 is available in India...

The default lens included with the EPL-1 is one of the sharpest kit lens i have come across. And it comes bundled with the cam.

If you were to buy the fixed lens cam like a G12 or S90, you'd stay with the lens and so is the case with the EPL-1, you get a default lens.

But, with the EPL-1 you have an option of upgrading to zoom lens, which you don't with the Canon S90 or the G12. And, besides the lens part, the image quality of the EPL-1 is in a different league altogether. I am currently getting a shootout done in my lab between the G12 and the EPL-1, and results speak for themselves.

Currently for anyone looking at low-light photography or a long term camera purchase with an intention of getting into photography as a hobby should consider the EPL-1 at its given price point of 25K with 2 yrs warranty.

I had a chance of picking up the Sony Alpha NEX3 at heathrow airport in london for as low as 24K. But i decided against it because you don't get international warranty.

Also, s90 won't give you HD movie recording. The S95 has it.

In case you want to shy away from Olympus as a brand (though most of olympus is actually panasonic), you can consider the Sony HX5, its got good sensor+lens combo, gives you 10x zoom and can match the Canon S95.

Canons S95 is the best option for a ultra-compact camera, at its price point of close to 30K in India. In the USA, at almost 350$, the S95 is a very tempting offering in any case. Sadly, you can't get the cam for 15K in India.

Here are links to comparing image quality of Canon S95 Vs Olympus EPL-1, i frankly feel a little odd to compare these two cams, they aren't supposed to be compared, but just to help you decide. The shots are taken by default cam configs (default lens for oly EPL-1)

1) ISO 400 test

Olympus sample image in full resolution (warning, these are full res images, will take long to load on slow connections)

Vs

Canon S95 sample image in full resolution (warning, these are full res images, will take long to load on slow connections)

2) ISO 800 test

Olympus sample image in full resolution (warning, these are full res images, will take long to load on slow connections)

Vs

Canon S95 sample image in full resolution (warning, these are full res images, will take long to load on slow connections)

3) ISO 1600 test

Vs

Do note, if you are looking for maximum features and zoom, the S95 or the Olympus EPL-1 are not for you. Get the Panasonic FZ35 for about 17K and you will be happy with the zoom, HD recording and fast performance. The EPL-1 is only for people wanting much higher image quality and true low-light shooting capabilities at the cost of optical zoom.

Hope this helps.

All senior camera experts, please jump in and correct me if needed.

Back