Netbook purchase time....

techie_007

Skilled
So as usual I am out of date on which is the best netbook out there currently.
Budget isnt much of a problem, can spring upto 20k.

Usage: the usual - movies/pictures/web access/ MS office etc.

So what does everyone buy nowadays? :)

well i got my dell mini 1012 this saturday (within 5 working days of orderign it through dell experience center in chroma pune) - the top end sku for around 26k - for 3 year CC program that costs 5.5k plug a couple of other accessries. You can skip that but I would say go for the top end sku - 2 gb ram by default, 1336x768(HD) screen and yes a Broadcomm Crystel Accelerator Card (not available in lower end skus and not even mentioned on the dell india website) - 720p and 1080p rips play flawlessly. Battery backup around 7-8 hours with mp3 playback through headphones and continious web surfing though wifi.

well you can take the middle sku for 18 odd and try taking a 1-2 year CC program. I have a 15 month infact running aroudn the house chucking things around. I had to go for the 3 years CC program which shot up the cost. 1 year CC is good enough. So everythign around 20k with maybe price for a backpack and a netbook stand.

Sorry for kinda hijacking the thread here. But I had a similar query as I plan to buy a netbook too. Dell Inspiron Mini or HP Mini 210 ? Which one would be better or are both kinda same in performance, Battery backup and after sales service?

Samsung has few netbooks within that price range. Do browse through the models. I have been using their cheapest offering N128 since last December and haven't faced any issues as yet. :)

pom99 said:
Sorry for kinda hijacking the thread here. But I had a similar query as I plan to buy a netbook too. Dell Inspiron Mini or HP Mini 210 ? Which one would be better or are both kinda same in performance, Battery backup and after sales service?
both the mini 210 and dell mini 1012 are good buys - a couple of observations:

1. the top end of both cost around 20k (2 GB RAM - 320 GB HDD for Dell, 250 GB for HP)
2. Touchpads for both suck - maybe HP is slightly better (IMHO better to use an external mouse when not in move)
3. Battery for both (provided both are 6 cells) lasts >8hrs with normal usage like surfing via wlan, music etc. Note HP often bundles a 3 cell battery so please check for specs
4. Dell has a broadcomm accelerator card for the top end sku (1336x768 HD) screen- not mentioned in the website but is there. I got one this saturday nad it plays 720p and 1080p smoothly - too bad that they dropped the HDMI port in this one. The HP IMHO does not come with either the HD screen or the broadcomm accelerator card (you can check going to device manager in syntem control panel and check under sound and multimedia for HP at any shop. the dell itop end sku is not available at most places but you can take my word for it - have the invoice to show it and was surprised by it and then checked the specs in the device manager when an unknown device called broadcomm was billed)
5. HP has a instant startup OS which Dell lacks - it can help for instant email, msgnr, music etc - though I woudl say the Dell mini takes arond 30-40 seconds for bootup which is decent - from then onwards it has substantial punch to drive normal usage.
6. You can try to underclock the HP which is unavailable in the Dell through the Bios - can squeeze some more mins from the battery but for me 7-8 hours is good enough.

I waited for 2-3 months doing my reseacrh and finally booked the top end sku from Dell with 3 yr CC program (necessary with an infact running around) - bonus was the broadcomm accelerator card that Dell packed along.

I got a Dell Mini 1012 as well. But its the middle range wala.. Was hasty in deciding the laptop. Have learnt my lesson and will look around before stooping in.

@Starky: Do join up in our meets... we are seriously running outta members :bleh:

Guys!

I have one vote here for the Lenovo S10-3!

Why?

- Brilliant keyboard. Easily the best I've tried on a netbook yet. The HP Mini, Samsung N, Acer One et al do not even come close to the feel and size of the keyboard.

- Nice design and great build quality. Especially the palmrests. This thing feels expensive and better built than any of the competitors. Big difference: it does NOT feel plasticky.

- Good battery life. Same as other 6-cellers.

- Rs.17.5-18k for 1GB RAM, 250GB HDD, Win 7 Starter, LED-backlit 10.1" screen and a sleeve.

The Dell 1012 seems to be the only better option due to its 1366x768 screen, everything else am doubtful - especially the build quality. The Lenovo feels wayyy better than any others I've tried - even the ridiculously priced Sony Vaio W series.

Cheers!

Payne

letmein said:
Should one buy from electronic chains like Croma, E-zone etc. or opt for regular laptop dealers?
Regular laptop dealers is better I guess as places like Croma, E-zone etc charge a lot more than for what you would get outside.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

starky said:
both the mini 210 and dell mini 1012 are good buys - a couple of observations:

1. the top end of both cost around 20k (2 GB RAM - 320 GB HDD for Dell, 250 GB for HP)

2. Touchpads for both suck - maybe HP is slightly better (IMHO better to use an external mouse when not in move)

3. Battery for both (provided both are 6 cells) lasts >8hrs with normal usage like surfing via wlan, music etc. Note HP often bundles a 3 cell battery so please check for specs

4. Dell has a broadcomm accelerator card for the top end sku (1336x768 HD) screen- not mentioned in the website but is there. I got one this saturday nad it plays 720p and 1080p smoothly - too bad that they dropped the HDMI port in this one. The HP IMHO does not come with either the HD screen or the broadcomm accelerator card (you can check going to device manager in syntem control panel and check under sound and multimedia for HP at any shop. the dell itop end sku is not available at most places but you can take my word for it - have the invoice to show it and was surprised by it and then checked the specs in the device manager when an unknown device called broadcomm was billed)

5. HP has a instant startup OS which Dell lacks - it can help for instant email, msgnr, music etc - though I woudl say the Dell mini takes arond 30-40 seconds for bootup which is decent - from then onwards it has substantial punch to drive normal usage.

6. You can try to underclock the HP which is unavailable in the Dell through the Bios - can squeeze some more mins from the battery but for me 7-8 hours is good enough.

I waited for 2-3 months doing my reseacrh and finally booked the top end sku from Dell with 3 yr CC program (necessary with an infact running around) - bonus was the broadcomm accelerator card that Dell packed along.
Thanks Starky.

djmykey said:
I got a Dell Mini 1012 as well. But its the middle range wala.. Was hasty in deciding the laptop. Have learnt my lesson and will look around before stooping in.

@Starky: Do join up in our meets... we are seriously running outta members :bleh:
well what will a balding fat 28 year old middle aged family man do in the meets ???:bleh:

Anyway surely we can catch up - I am still a newbie in TE forum so godd to catch up with like minded people.

BTW my brother bought a leneovo s10-3 a month back so had a chance to play around with it for a few days (in kolkata) - looks great, ram can be upgraded easily unlike Dell and others, isolated keys look and felt good, touchpad is finicky like all - I would not vouch for Leneovo warranty too much. Though audio quality is good along with 6-8 hour of battery backup. Is a looker honestly and has multi-touch.

I know a good deal when I see one - so after playing aroudn with all in Chroma (they had the patience to witness me playing aroudn with the Samsung 128, Dell mini 10, HP 210, Leneovo S10-3 in Vijay Sales with a usb with MPC HC and 720p & 1080p rips from Secretmyth) every weekend for 5 weeks before I fired a purchase from Dell.

Biggest part was 720p could be played decently on the Leneovo, HP and Dell ineven in the lower specced models, 1080 staggered in all - though I went for the top end Dell I never knew it would have the broadcom acclerator card which came as an addon. Plays 1080p rips with 20% CPU usage. Too bad they left the HDMi port out in this model.

Broadcom, Nvidia bring full HD playback to Pine Trail - TechSpot News

I would saw the Dell is the jack of all trades and with the Dell CC program for 1-2-3 years its hard to beat.

Emil said:
Would the warranty even cover that kind of damage?
That's another reason why Dell laptops sell more than anything else in the market. Pay 7~8k upfront and you receive the complete cover policy for your laptop for 3 years. :D

thirumalkumaran said:
the current dell mini page doesn't show up... (dell.co.in)

Is there a model/Config change expected..
well a atom 1.8 Ghz was doing the rounds (from performance figures not much change since a Sony netbook was seen last week at Chroma sporting the new proccy).

Then again I blasted a mail to Dell India and Dell USA saying that the India website does not have updated figures on specs, skus - highlighting my case for the top end sku which was not shown to be carryign a Broadcomm accelerator card (neither the sales or techincal team had any clues) - but when i received the shipment and checked the device manager there it was, plus it was also marked on the invoice. Maybe they are updatign the site :hap2::bleh:

starky said:
well what will a balding fat 28 year old middle aged family man do in the meets ???:bleh:

Anyway surely we can catch up - I am still a newbie in TE forum so godd to catch up with like minded people.

Its not that we are all Shahrukh Khan's u know :bleh:

techie_007 said:
@djmykey: You bought another netbook?

Haan Acer conked off when I opened it.. refuses to charge from the charger. Otherwise it works fine.

Back