Car & Bike Need suggestions under 150/160 cc segment

tipu185

Kampooter Lover
Disciple
unable to decide a bike for me ;

for City Driving; NO Pulsar; i Love HERO HONDA but I LOVE Apache too !

so unable to decide between two - CBZ Xtreme New v/s TVS Apache RTR 160 Hyper Edge

Suggest me , or another better option within the budget .

Hero Honda CBZ extreme - solely because it will retain its value better. The TVS will depreciate like a sinking stone.

i personally dont like the design of the cbz extreme.. theres nothing extreme about the design or the specs.. i loved the old CBZ.. there was a CBZ era when it was the only sexy looking bike and the only bike in the 150cc segment until the pulsar came along..

you can go for the RTR but i personally find it a little small for me.. otherwise, the pickup and everything is good.. the engine is revvy and responsive.. i will rather recommend to look at yamaha.. if you are looking specifically in the 150 segment, the build quality and gearbox quality on the yamahas will be much better than any bajaj or hero motocorp.. or you can look at the karizma but that will be 220..

had a long ride on my suzuki gs150r today... i don't have any experience with any other bikes but taking it out on the highway is so satisfying.

ur height plz ?? .. and if u have to ride fr more than 10 kms/strech and are > 5'8" then apache will be pain in the back
234.gif
.. u can also go fr unicorn as cbz has borrowed the engine frm uni and also uni has monoshocks + bigger fuel tank and better stability.

the unicorn is a good bike ..but its like a very domesticated bike.. . very simple looks, smooth engine.. relaxed seating position.. and personally, due to the monoshocks, i dont find it as stable as the other bikes in the market.. infact, the monoshocks tend to cause a slight wobble when the bike goes in ditches or uneven roads..

i still advise to go for yamahas in the 150 segment..

if you can wait i heard new stunner full fairing will be coming soon however exact date i dono!! But i personally feel apache is a great bike except the vibration issues at 6k to 8k rpm..

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Let me make it simple -[/font]

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Pulsar135 - faster than the FZ/FZs/Stunner from 0-60 kmph[/font]

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Pulsar135 - Greater top speed than the FZ/FZs/Stunner (120~125kmph vs 105kmph for the fz)[/font]

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Pulsar135 - Better fuel economy compared to the FZ/FZs on par with the Stunner [/font]

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Pulsar135 - Cheaper than the the FZ/FZs/Stunner on road[/font]

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Pulsar135 - Cost of Spares/Maintenance is lower than the FZ/FZs/Stunner [/font]

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Pulsar135 - More fun/lower running costs compared to the the FZ/FZs/Stunner[/font]

Pulsar135 - Smoother power delivery/gear changes (yes surprising isn't it) than the stunner. the build quality is decent too.

These are not my words but the words of XBHP/Overdrive/Autocar/Bike India/Every knowledgeable biker

Check this out :-

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yfHUo_91wE[/media]

As an owner of this bike since Sept 2011, I can add a few points which won't be mentioned in the reviews:-
  • I cancelled the booking of the yamaha sz-r and got the pulsar and i never regretted it
  • I have routinely done 400-500km rides non stop on this bike in under 7-8 hours on highways and i have never had issues. i go on biking tours with a group almost twice a month
  • The ride is a bit hard even if you adjust the gas charged shock absorbers
  • There are vibrations if revved very high but then that is where the fun is - this is a bike which you ride not commute in. Although it will do the commuting bit just fine - I travel 40-50 kms a day on an average in traffic and have no complaints
  • The bike is easy to master and is forgiving. As a first time bike owner I can say I have learned quite a bit about handling bikes and this will set me up nicely for the upgrade to a bigger bike. If you want to upgrade to a bigger/higher displacement bike i.e 200-250 cc in the future this is a nice bike to learn about biking.
  • The brakes are good
  • Opt for MRF tyres over Eurogrip as this bike comes with both tyres. Infact avoid eurogrip tyres on any bike of any make.
  • Do not opt for engine oil from Bajaj. Get your own engine oil and ask them to change it front of you.(this goes for any bike). Opt for Motul mineral oils till the first 5000 KM and then shift to semi synthetic oils. Always maintain the same oil grade as mentioned in your bike manual i.e 20W40 or 20W50,etc
  • I love revving and thrashing the bike and even with my approach I routinely get 60 kmpl as the minimum mileage
  • Accident repairs are cheap for the Pulsar 135. You can go for a 100% insurance claim while buying the bike from the dealership. I had two massive accidents and was lucky to walk away alive although the damages to the bike was very minute compared to the scale of the accident. The cost of replacing the front brake and clutch levers cost me Rs.200 in all and an overall suspension check/correction and realignment of front shock absorbers and the headlight assembly cost me Rs.550. Changing the plastic panels on my headlight cost me Rs.250. I spent Rs.1000 in all as I didn't have the patience and energy to wait for the entire insurance process. The entire work was done in 2 days and now my bike is as good as new and runs even better.

ur height plz ?? .. and if u have to ride fr more than 10 kms/strech and are > 5'8" then apache will be pain in the back
234.gif
.. u can also go fr unicorn as cbz has borrowed the engine frm uni and also uni has monoshocks + bigger fuel tank and better stability.

Do not go for Apache if you are > 5.7..... its gonna break ur back after a long ride!

if you can wait i heard new stunner full fairing will be coming soon however exact date i dono!! But i personally feel apache is a great bike except the vibration issues at 6k to 8k rpm..

I am 5.9 ,and ur comments have scared me
4df8c89b.gif

@sunny27 Seriously i never expected it to be that better .

does it give you the power and feel of riding a 150 ?

@aquaticbullet & @puneetritehere like u said , actually my friend (also TE member Sudarshan_SMD ) owns Unicorn and it 'wobbles' on rough road

is it worth waiting ?

@chiron ;we have a squareparts issue at Kolhapur ,buddy :-( and i have LML Freedom ,which is pain in the ***

I have no idea bout other UNIs but i rode mine till leh and she never dissapointed me ..

wobbling may be due to some prblm with the wheel but AFAIK monoshocks are most stable.

This is all my opinion and based on my experience.

I wud suggest to test drive each bike.

Also bajaj bikes are not tht reliable in long run. No doubt fr shrt term thery are VFM.

my personal recommendation.. loot at the Yamaha Fazer & FZ-S.. i am personally not a big fan of these bikes not because they are bad.. but because they are just 150 cc.. but you are specifically looking for that segment.. so it should be fine.. i have even observed that the paint quality parts quality on the yamahas is much better than bajaj and tvs..

pulsars and apache, both have heavy vibration problems after certain rpms.... even though the yamahas have similar power ratings and feel out of breath after certain rpms, they wont start causing ripples on your hand...

and as far as the difference between riding and commuting is concerned, its one thing that the bike gives a nice soothing feedback of the engine firing and another that the whole frame and handlebars of the bike start vibrating like hell and the engine feels as if the screws are gonna fly off any moment..

and please.. .dont buy the pulsar 135.. i dont know why people are such big fans of the pulsar 135 over here.. and i feel even more stupid when i see the company promoting it as a sports bike after already launching the pulsar 200 and 220...

infact, dont buy any bajaj.. i have ridden a pulsar for 9 yrs now.. and even though i am now quite emotionally attached to it, i still wouldnt buy a bajaj again..

^OP better decide between apache and fz both got plus and minus decide which ever suits your need do test ride...if you want raw power & top speed apache it is else you want smooth city riding nothing more than that then go with fz..infact am 6 ft+ and am using apache for 4yrs i don't feel any backpain issues..!! After 9k km in my bike started using full synthetic oil which made bit smoother than before..

Let me make it simple -

Pulsar135 - faster than the FZ/FZs/Stunner from 0-60 kmph

Pulsar135 - Greater top speed than the FZ/FZs/Stunner (120~125kmph vs 105kmph for the fz)

Pulsar135 - Better fuel economy compared to the FZ/FZs on par with the Stunner

Pulsar135 - Cheaper than the the FZ/FZs/Stunner on road

Pulsar135 - Cost of Spares/Maintenance is lower than the FZ/FZs/Stunner

Pulsar135 - More fun/lower running costs compared to the the FZ/FZs/Stunner

Pulsar135 - Smoother power delivery/gear changes (yes surprising isn't it) than the stunner. the build quality is decent too.

These are not my words but the words of XBHP/Overdrive/Autocar/Bike India/Every knowledgeable biker

facepalm.gif

@OP

Unicorn is good. But its too simple to be honest.

Apache would be good if you are short in height. Otherwise it may give you back pain on long ride. Otherwise Apache is powerful.

You can look in for the yamaha.

CBZ Extreme/HUnk would be gr8 as well.

Back