CPU/Mobo Need info on parts for a i5 2500K based system

Hi, im looking to upgrade to a new config pretty soon. Currently im using Q6600 with an Asus P5QPL-AM, 4GB Ram & nVidia 9600GT 512mb.

I want to upgrade to a new i5 2500k Processor based system. Can someone please suggest me which motherboard to purchase with this processor & how much it should cost. My only prerequisite is that the motherboard should have at least 4 slots for RAM, so that I can pump in at least 8GB of RAM (more slots or a higher ram capacity would be acceptable as well).

Also, what would be a good GFX card to purchase in the region of 7-7.5K and would my current Cooler Master SMPS 460W be able to power it ? (in case I need a new SMPS can someone recommend me a new which one to purchase & at what price)
Thank You in advance for all your suggestions.

Whats your "total" budget for the processor, motherboard, graphic card and SMPS?

The PSU you've is from Cooler Master Extreme series IINM?! Those are El Cheapo PSUs and complete crap. I prefer to put them out of the equation. You need to get a new PSU in this case.

Intel Core i5 2500K @ 11K

MSI P67A-GD55/Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3R @ 9.6K

Sapphire HD6850 @ 8.5K

Corsair VX550W @ 4.6K

The Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3R motherboard has USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gbps support to deliver impeccable data transfer speeds and Gigabyte Ultra Durable(tm) 3 design with 2x Copper PCB. Though the MSI P67A-GD55 has a couple of good reviews too. Both of them has 4 slots for RAM.

For GFX, I'll recommend you to extend your budget by 1K and opt for 6850.

Also if you are opting for K series then I think you'll overclock it? Overclocking using the unlocked K series SNB chips are very easy. Get a decent cooler like the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus @ 1.9k and you are set.

XTechManiac said:
Whats your "total" budget for the processor, motherboard, graphic card and SMPS?

The PSU you've is from Cooler Master Extreme series IINM?! Those are El Cheapo PSUs and complete crap. I prefer to put them out of the equation. You need to get a new PSU in this case.

Intel Core i5 2500K @ 11K

MSI P67A-GD55/Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3R @ 9.6K

Sapphire HD6850 @ 8.5K

Corsair VX550W @ 4.6K

The Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3R motherboard has USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gbps support to deliver impeccable data transfer speeds and Gigabyte Ultra Durable(tm) 3 design with 2x Copper PCB. Though the MSI P67A-GD55 has a couple of good reviews too. Both of them has 4 slots for RAM.

For GFX, I'll recommend you to extend your budget by 1K and opt for 6850.

Also if you are opting for K series then I think you'll overclock it? Overclocking using the unlocked K series SNB chips are very easy. Get a decent cooler like the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus @ 1.9k and you are set.

Thanks for the reply, I am NOT going to overclock my processor (so a i5 2500 should be adequate the 'K' series would be unneeded overkill) . Also my complete budget for the Processor+Mobo+8GBRam+GFX Card is 30K. (I'm not totally crazy about USB3 or SLI etc, so if some money can be saved over the mobo I shall be pretty grateful). The machine BTW would be used as a Hackintosh to run FCP only (For gaming I have a PS3)

Please advise a breakdown

I might upgrade the SMPS later

well if your not into OC then why not go for H series than P . You will save some more bucks there . For PSU go for VX550 or SS which ever suits your budget .

deathgoddg said:
well if your not into OC then why not go for H series than P . You will save some more bucks there . For PSU go for VX550 or SS which ever suits your budget .
My words exactly. I have been looking at some H series motherboards from MSI, Gigabyte & Asus @ Newegg & I feel that they are reasonably sufficient for my needs.

Any idea if these are available & for how much ?

GIGABYTE GA-H67MA

MSI P67A-C43

MSI PH67S-C43

ASUS P8H61-M LE/CSM

Simple logic, if you are going for a non-K series processor then there is no use of spending extra bucks on a P67 board. Gigabyte H67MA-UD2H makes up a decent motherboard. Also, I'll "strongly" suggest you to buy PSU if you don't want other components of your PC to go kaput. PSU is one component where you should gladly put in a little more money and be in peace. Also you can grab HD5770, but still I'll recommend you to go for HD6850 if your budget allows. The below suggestion makes up a decent balanced config all together.

Components Description Price (INR)

Processor Core i5 2500 9500

Motherboard Gigabyte H67MA-UD2H 7500

RAM Corsair XMS 1333 MHz 2*4GB single stick 5200

GPU Sapphire HD6850 9500

PSU Corsair VX550 4500

Total ~36000

If you are building this rig which is not for gaming then i think HD6850 would be overkill IMO even HD5770 would be overkill can you tell us the purpose of the rig that you are building?

Processor Intel Core i5 2500 10300

Motherboard Gigabyte H67MA-UD2H-B3 7500

RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz CL9 2x2GB 2500

GPU MSI HD5770 1GB 6800

PSU Corsair CX400 2450

Total 29550

XTechManiac said:
Simple logic, if you are going for a non-K series processor then there is no use of spending extra bucks on a P67 board. Gigabyte H67MA-UD2H makes up a decent motherboard. Also, I'll "strongly" suggest you to buy PSU if you don't want other components of your PC to go kaput. PSU is one component where you should gladly put in a little more money and be in peace. Also you can grab HD5770, but still I'll recommend you to go for HD6850 if your budget allows. The below suggestion makes up a decent balanced config all together.

Components Description Price (INR)

Processor Core i5 2500 9500

Motherboard Gigabyte H67MA-UD2H 7500

RAM Corsair XMS 1333 MHz 2*4GB single stick 5200

GPU Sapphire HD6850 8500

PSU Corsair VX550 4500

Total ~35000

Thanks a lot bro, much appreciated

Hades. said:
If you are building this rig which is not for gaming then i think HD6850 would be overkill IMO even HD5770 would be overkill can you tell us the purpose of the rig that you are building?

Processor Intel Core i5 2500 10300

Motherboard Gigabyte H67MA-UD2H-B3 7500

RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz CL9 2x2GB 2500

GPU MSI HD5770 1GB 6800

PSU Corsair CX400 2450

Total 29550

Thanks, I shall be using the machine as a hackintosh for exclusive use with FCP. Im currently looking at a definite purchase of 8GB RAM. Also, im looking at HD6770 1GB (how much would that cost)

Kindly explain how does a Corsair CX400 provide a better power output than a Cooler Master 460W because if its necessary I shall change it as well.

Thanks you fellas, you have been a great help :)

Zero Cool said:
Kindly explain how does a Corsair CX400 provide a better power output than a Cooler Master 460W because if its necessary I shall change it as well.

This maybe a bit heavy to digest for you, but here it goes:-

BIKeINSTEIN said:
Corsair VX450 vs CM extreme power 600 (some key differences):

(1) Rated at 50 degrees C vs rated at 25 degrees C

(2) Active PFC (0.99) vs passive PFC (no PFC in most models sold in India)

(3) 80%+ efficiency guranteed vs 65-70% roughly.

(4) Hi-Qual Jap caps vs not so Jap caps

(5) Double ball bearing fan vs sleeve bearing fan most prolly

(6) 5 yr warranty vs 2/3 yr warranty (heard that low end CM psu like Extreme power series have only 2yr warranty now. )

(7) Seasonic vs Seventeam budget/value range.

Corsair VX550 may cost more initially to you but it'll save you the headache in the long run. A cheap PSU like CM Extreme 460W can fail spectacularly taking your entire computer with it. Also the ampere rate on +12 volt rail is low for CM Extreme 460 IINM.

A good read: Don't Be Surprised When Your Cheap PSU Blows Up

Also corrected price of HD6850. :ashamed:

Back