CPU/Mobo Need Advice: PC Hardware problem

sgopalkn

Recruit
My computer won't boot, the CPU fan & the Cabinet fan runs for like two seconds and stops. Then when I press the power on button in the front of cabinet, it doesn't work.

After UPS power off for 30 secs & switch-on, the same thing happens again; the fans run for 2 secs and stops.

Also I tried to remove ATX12V 4-pin power connector on the board. and After switch on the fans run continuously.

The computer never starts up and boots. Can anyone help me with this.

Hi

The full configuration is

Intel Pentium D 925 Processor

Asus P5GC-TVM SE/S uATX Motherboard

Kingston DDR2 RAM 2 GB, 512 MB

On Board Graphics

SMPS - 300W

80 GB SATA HDD, 250 GB IDE HDD

20" Monitor

Cabinet, USB Keyboard & Mouse

@OP:

Can you manage a re-build of your computer on your own. Remove all the wires and the DIMMs, blow all the connectors and reseat everything back. Try this for starters. No need to remove the CPU assembly though.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try this and let you know. But do you think this could be a SMPS problem, because I searched through the net for similar issue. There are suggestions on a capacitor failure in the SMPS.

SMPS and RAM sticks are the usual suspects. But it could be anything. Your best bet of course would be to try what asing said and try checking part by part.

Do what asingh have suggested, if you want to clear your doubt as well just borrow your friends for a while an connect to your system.

Else rip off your system, cleam the ram connectors using eraser, blow air in your ram slots. Tighten the power and data cables. Next start your system with bare minimum- smps+mobo+cpu+1 ram.

Post your result

I removed all the parts and tried one by one. No use the fan just runs for 1 sec now. Also tried with minimum of - smps+mobo+cpu+1 ram again no improvement. Also I didn't mention earlier that I hear some noise from SMPS and also the SMPS fan doesn't run.

sgopalkn said:
I removed all the parts and tried one by one. No use the fan just runs for 1 sec now. Also tried with minimum of - smps+mobo+cpu+1 ram again no improvement. Also I didn't mention earlier that I hear some noise from SMPS and also the SMPS fan doesn't run.
so your psu is the culprit. What might have happened is that some of the psu's internal component might have blown as the psu fan was not working.

Get a new psu, and this time try to go some branded one like corsair/cm/seasonic instead of the generic ones.

I would still advice you to first try to start your pc by using someone else's psu... I am saying this coz even after buying a new psu and if you computer doesn't start then you would really regret the decision you made... By doing what i am suggesting you would be able to inspect that whether other components got conked off or not because of a bad psu. And if your computer starts by using someone elses psu then you would be rest assured that which component you need to buy ;)

Hades. said:
I would still advice you to first try to start your pc by using someone else's psu... I am saying this coz even after buying a new psu and if you computer doesn't start then you would really regret the decision you made... By doing what i am suggesting you would be able to inspect that whether other components got conked off or not because of a bad psu. And if your computer starts by using someone elses psu then you would be rest assured that which component you need to buy ;)
I think now, he will not regret. At least he will have a better PSU :p

Hi
Thanks for the advice guys. I finally sorted out the problem. A friend of mine had a Zebronics 450W psu in his old computer. I borrowed it and tested it in my pc, it worked good. So finally came to a conclusion that my PSU was the problem. Now temporarily running on same psu, as my friend has no use of his old computer. At the moment not willing to spend any extra money on the old pc parts, as I am planning for a bigger upgrade once the Intel Ivy bridge rolls out.

Back