Need advice: Buying first AC

ravneet2

Disciple
Hi,
I want to buy an AC for my 12 ft by 9 ft room, whose height is 9 ft. The room is facing south, i.e the sun facing wall is the south one only, and it has glass windows of approx 20 square feet area. It is near the Dakshineswar area of Kolkata. The room gets extremely hot in the months of April-May and Oct-Nov. So i intend to use the AC in this period only, with minimal usage, if any, in the other months. The time of operation will be approximately 2 hours in the afternoon(say from around 2pm to 4pm) and 4 hours at night(say 11pm to 3am). The room will be equipped by 3 persons. Also, the room is on 2nd floor, with 2 more floors and a terrace above. This being my first ac purchase, i am totally confused. I have zeroed on the following options after much thought. But the working of both is totally different, and i seek your opinion as to which one will be better depending on the conditions and usage time mentioned above. Any suggestions apart from the following options is also welcome..

1. GODREJ GSC 12 FG 7 BLG 1 Ton Split AC- due to its low power consumption, regardless of the hours used.
2.Sharp AH-XP13NRV (1.1 Ton, Inverter)- because of the innovative smart technology, and environment friendly 410 gas.

Also, the after sales service and the life of the equipment matters a lot. So please suggest accordingly.

1. GODREJ GSC 12 FG 7 BLG 1 Ton Split AC- due to its low power consumption, regardless of the hours used.
2.Sharp AH-XP13NRV (1.1 Ton, Inverter)- because of the innovative smart technology, and environment friendly 410 gas.
What sort of price quotes are you getting for the two? A quick search for prices for the Godrej shows its about 30~32k. The price of the Sharp in Kolkata should be pretty close, so it makes sense to get the Sharp itself.

Godrej price is approx 32700 and sharp is 31500. but i have heard that Sharp 1.1 is not as good as 1.5 ton. Is it true? And someone told me that 1.5 should be better for me, if i go for an inverter AC, because it can adjust itself depending on the need. But I dont think a 1.5 ton, even if it is an inverter model, will work for me..my room is too small for it. Isn't it?

There are two 1.1 ton models, XP13NRV and XP13LV : http://www.techenclave.com/community/threads/sharp-ah-xp13lv-vs-ah-xp13nrv.148303/
The NRV is not as efficient as the LV or the 1.5, so thats probably why someone told you the 1.5 is better. Try looking around for the LV. In any case both these models will be more efficient than any non inverter like the Godrej model you listed. Plus the Godrej is more expensive, so its a no brainer. 1.5T will most likely be too much for a ~110 sq ft room and since a 1.5T cannot adjust itself below a certain threshold the 1.1 might end up being more efficient.

hi guys, was getting sharp 1.1 ton LV series for 35k + installation and godrej 1 ton (7 star technology) for 32.5k with free installation. I ordered sharp. but now m feeling that godrej was better. what should i do? change it, or let it be? which one will be better?
*Price is not a factor. need quality of product, good service and savings..[DOUBLEPOST=1378645977][/DOUBLEPOST]pls reply ASAP

Last edited:
The Sharp is better.

There's no 7 star, I think you meant 5 star. EER (Energy Efficiency Ratio) is used to rate ACs in the star system, but its not helpful in the case of inverter ACs. The Godrej's EER is 3.7, but it will always be 3.7. The Sharp LV Inverter has an EER of 3.63 (at full load), but at lower loads the EER can go as high as ~5. Since an A/C spends a lot of time at a lower load after the initial cooling period, the Sharp will end up being more efficient.

Another factor to consider is that Sharp imports their compressors from Malaysia or Thailand (I forget which), so the quality is generally higher. No clue on what compressor Godrej are using in theirs.

Last edited:
`once again thank you for the much needed opinion..i couldn't reply yesterday to your last post.. I made the full payment for Sharp XP13LV yesterday afternoon, and it has been delivered today. Will be installed tomorrow or the day after... will let u all know then..
Thank you once again..[DOUBLEPOST=1378805724][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh..i forgot to mention.. it costed me 34.5k, standard installation charges extra.. Also managed a good deal on another necessity which i brought along with the AC. Overall, very happy with it :happy:

Last edited:
I saw some ads about Godrej ACs saying they consume power like a hair drier, is that true? How much power do they consume? I have a Hitachi windows model, which consumes 1250 W per hour, and that's a 5 star model!

Hair dryers use anywhere from 1000W~2000W. So even your Hitachi consumes power like a Hair dryer :D

Godrej specs : http://www.godrejappliances.com/god...id=92&productid=2965&subcatid=0&subsubcatid=0
Power consumption is 912W. But the reason its low is because they've downrated it - which probably helped efficiency too. The Godrej's cooling capacity is ~3.3KW, so technically its a ~0.9 Ton AC. Your Hitachi's cooling capacity says its 4KW, which is ~1.1T.

Hair dryers use anywhere from 1000W~2000W. So even your Hitachi consumes power like a Hair dryer :D

Godrej specs : http://www.godrejappliances.com/god...id=92&productid=2965&subcatid=0&subsubcatid=0
Power consumption is 912W. But the reason its low is because they've downrated it - which probably helped efficiency too. The Godrej's cooling capacity is ~3.3KW, so technically its a ~0.9 Ton AC. Your Hitachi's cooling capacity says its 4KW, which is ~1.1T.
Thanks mate. Didn't know hair driers consume that much current :O I am happy now with mine.

Back