Need a Phone - 35k

avi

Skilled
Nov 23, 2010
iPhone 4 vs HTC Desire HD (Need a Phone - 35k)

Hi all ! happy new year :hap2:

update : edited the tittle. Now I have to chose iPhone 4 or HTC Desire HD. I am ready to wait for one month [say till feb 1st week] for iPhone 4 to be released. So can anyone tell me

-Advantages of iPhone over Desire HD

-Disadvantages of same.

Thank you :)

--------

I need a phone and I am ready to spend upto 35K. I have shortlisted the phones

-Apple iPhone 4 - 16GB - I can get this around 35k. But as I will be not getting any warranty, I am kinda afraid. What you guys say ? 35K piece of gadget and no warranty :(

-Samsung Galaxy S - No, I didn't liked this. I didn't liked UI nor it's build quality. I could adjust with these things, but camera with no flash ? No. So out of my list.

-Desire HD - Don't know much about this. You guys have to say :) I heard it has terrible battery back up.

-Nexus S - I can get this around 26K. Though it's design is crap I can adjust with it, but again, warranty thing setting me back.

template filled :

1. Q: Budget?

A: upto 35-36K

2. Q: Preferred Form Factor(flip, bar, slider)?

A: Touch screen, no physical qwerty.

3. Q: Preferred display type?

A: SLCD, AMOLED, SAMOLED, IPS

4. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.

A: No LG / Motorola please

5. Q: Preferred input method (Touchscreen, QWERTY, etc.)?

A: Touchscreen

6. Q: Camera required or not? If required, please specify type like front camera/flash/etc.

A: Required a 3MP or better camera. Flash must.

7. Q: Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).

A: Android or iOS

8. Q: Preferred connectivity options? (3G, Wifi, Edge etc).

A: 3G, Wifi

So what you guys say ? Thank you :)

Neo-N

Skilled
Mar 26, 2010
Mumbai
swordfish said:
^ come on man, HD2 can boot android from SD card as well as from direct loader.. android runs smooth and flowlessly in large screen of HD2 because of its massive power.. it can boot ubuntu too.. soon WP7 too ;)
But I would rather get the Desire or Desire HD... The HD2 has lived it's life now... Time we looked at newer things.

:)

avi

Skilled
Nov 23, 2010
swordfish said:
^ come on man, HD2 can boot android from SD card as well as from direct loader.. android runs smooth and flowlessly in large screen of HD2 because of its massive power.. it can boot ubuntu too.. soon WP7 too ;)

no dude, it's not for me.

smnrock said:
for your usage definitely it will last more than a day

Oh, that's a good thing :)

iPhone 4 vs HTC Desire HD

update : edited the tittle. Now I have to chose iPhone 4 or HTC Desire HD. I am ready to wait for one month [say till feb 1st week] for iPhone 4 to be released. So can anyone tell me

-Disadvantages of same.

Quad Master

Skilled
Apr 17, 2005
Mumbai, IN
RS4 said:
Are you sure that iphone 4 will be released in Feb 1st week? any sources for this info?
every time i visited apple gallery in mumbai they told me next month for sure and it was supposed to be here in jan but if its not then this next month promises will go on ,

cant understand why not release it in india at the same time they release it in other markets.

If u want it buy it from anywhere else dont wait for apple to release , till official i4 India launch i5 might be out for the rest of the world.

rhlravi

Adept
Mar 12, 2010
avi said:
no dude, it's not for me.

Oh, that's a good thing :)

iPhone 4 vs HTC Desire HD

-Disadvantages of same.

I can state some points as far as i know.

Advantages of iphone 4 over DHD:

1.Better fit and finish, styling, apple branding.

2.Better screen (though smaller), the 640x960 res. LED-backlight IPS retina display is fantastic. It is not the same as the screen on the itouch 4, which i have, it is better than that. itouch 4's screen does not have LED backlight or IPS, just the same resolution and size retina display, due to obvious cost-cutting needs. So, blacks, viewing angles, sunlight legibility are improved on the iphone 4. I have tried the iphone 4 for a few minutes and its display just blew me away(that coming from a user who owns an AMOLED display samsung jet). So, screen is much better than that of DHD.

3.iOS updates: Updates are available as soon as they are out, unlike android updates, which are too frequent for the manufacturers to update on their entire android lineup, leaving most users(especially samsung, moto, and ericsson) guessing whether their phones will get the OS update or not, and if yes, when they will get it. It is the case for HTC too, with phones like legend getting 2.2 update only after 2.3 was out, a whole 7 months after 2.2 was out. with the iphone 4, you will surely get updates as soon as they arrive, without any issues for at least the next 3-4 years.

4.App store is significantly larger than android's. Android may have a larger ratio of free to paid apps but apple's store has 2-3 times the apps as android's so that gets cancelled out.

Games are also significantly more than android's, which hasnt developed to that extent as a gaming platform. Games are top-quality from the top game manufacturers of the world like EA etc..

Apps and games are developed knowing the specific specs of apple products, most of the newer ones are iOS 4.x updated and retina display-optimized, unlike android phones which have procies ranging from 528mhz to dual core 1.2 ghz procies and varying gfx and accelerometer sensors.(ignoring older iphones)

5.Assumed better audio quality too.

6.Significantly better battery life.

7.The huge world of accessories.

Advantages of DHD over iphone:

1.Larger screen

2.Lower cost

3.Manufacturer's warranty, no unlocking or other worries

4.Sense UI is excellent

5.Terrific customizability, Custom ROMs(after root)

6.Maybe better camera, and no antenna issues

I guess i have covered most of the significant stuff(dont worry, i havent copy-pasted it from anywhere), and i hope i havent confused you :) .

satan194p

Adept
May 8, 2010
I would say that if you are a patient guy wait til jan end for iphone 4 to release since you have budget upto 35k.

Advantages of iphone 4

Ios 4 is much more mature and app store is considerably larger than android app store.

There is no match to build quality of iphone.

I also feel that optimization is really incredible according to hardware.

longevity of iphone is much more and also the resale value.

If you are a bit impatient get desire HD. Its also a really good phone and you won't regret.

avi

Skilled
Nov 23, 2010
RS4 said:
Are you sure that iphone 4 will be released in Feb 1st week? any sources for this info?

I am not sure, just my last threshold to wait for iPhone. but btw my sixth sense tells me it's gonna be here till mid feb :p
Quad Master said:
If u want it buy it from anywhere else dont wait for apple to release , till official i4 India launch i5 might be out for the rest of the world.

Yeah, that's the problem with it. But even if I buy Desire HD, I will be having a year old only, it was released in last year march I guess.

rhlravi said:
I can state some points as far as i know.

Advantages of iphone 4 over DHD:

Hey thanks a lot, very helpful reply :) It made wait for iPhone :)

@satan - yeah, I am a patient guy, but will iPhone 4 will be worth my waiting ?

@rampage - yeah ! but waiting for official release. it's hard to convince my parents :(

red dragon

Justiceforall
Skilled
Jan 30, 2010
Praha, Czechia
Iphone 4,eyes closed.I have not used it,but from my experience with 3gs and htc hd2,I am sure of at least one thing.HTC does not know how to make a phone with good s.q(desire has pathetic s.q even with a good iem,hd2 even worse and I doubt desire hd will be any better)

Just get a factory unlocked iphone 4,do not do anything stupid during jailbreak,you will be just fine.

avi

Skilled
Nov 23, 2010
You're right, but it's very hard to convince my parents :( they waht you gonna do if you get any out of box issues or later in a week or something...it's tough for me convince them :(

rhlravi

Adept
Mar 12, 2010
Dont take my comment in the wrong sense, but if i were you, with that budget, i would get a htc desire and an itouch(both), both excellent devices to experience two fantastic OSes.

After all, after putting in the approx 23k extra in the iphone all you get apart from the itouch is the better screen(itouch screen isnt that bad, its better than most LCDs out there today), phone facility and the better cam. Thats about it, everything else is the same as far as i know.

So, you could even consider that option, you can find the desire for around 23k and 8g itouch in ebay for 12-13k. It sounds weird, but i just felt like suggesting it.

avi

Skilled
Nov 23, 2010
rhlravi said:
Dont take my comment in the wrong sense, but if i were you, with that budget, i would get a htc desire and an itouch(both), both excellent devices to experience two fantastic OSes.

After all, after putting in the approx 23k extra in the iphone all you get apart from the itouch is the better screen(itouch screen isnt that bad, its better than most LCDs out there today), phone facility and the better cam. Thats about it, everything else is the same as far as i know.

So, you could even consider that option, you can find the desire for around 23k and 8g itouch in ebay for 12-13k. It sounds weird, but i just felt like suggesting it.

Actually it's kinda nice suggestion, but I have decided to not to invest 20k+ on Android unless it's Google Dev phone. So as no news of Nexus S in India, I am thinking to get a cheap Android handset (probably Samsung G3 or LG O1) and later I can buy iPhone 4. So I have decided to wait for it and buy a simple mobile for time being.