Need a new PC for Adobe CS5

otherneo

Disciple
Q: What is your budget?
100K ~ 125K

Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
NA

Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
NA

Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.

CPU - AMD 1090T

Motherboard - any compatible motherboard (MSI 890FX-GD70/GA-890FXA-UD5/ASUS M4A89GTD-PROUSB3 )

GPU - GTX470 / ATI ???

RAM - 2 * 4G 1600 CL6 - CL9

Monitor - Dell U2711
Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
No

Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
Delhi / Open to online purchase

Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
Yes

Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
Multimedia editing

Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
NA

Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
NA

Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
Q: Are you looking to overclock?
No

Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
Windows 7 64 bit
Ubuntu / Arch 64 bit
I am bit confused about the motherboard, and graphics card...

For the motherboard I preferred GA-890FXA-UD5, but it seems that it does not support DDR3 1600, not sure about the MSI quality...

Adobe recommends GTX470, would that work in SLI with the motherboard? will the performance be better if I use a ATI graphics card? Is the extra budget for Quadro/FirePro is justified here?

Thanks in advance...

Thanks for the update, I did not know that AMD Phenom x1100T is out. I am not thinking about Intel as AMD six cores are far more cheaper; I can get a AMD six core for the price of Intel four core.

Can you tell me any good motherboard to go with x1100T?

^^

Check out the ASUS M4A 890/880 based boards should land yourself with a good one for about ~ 9K

The Gigabyte 890GX series is good too with better RMA than ASUS :),for Graphic card no need for a Quaddro or FirePro better get the GTX 570 ~ around 18K coming end of this month or if you want to wait for the HD 6*** series from AMD you can wait for January to end :)

ATi is now AMD :hap2:

Are you an animation student? Just out of curiosity

Yes, I have started learning animation and want to get the machine which is good for me for another 2-3 years....

Initially I wanted GA-890FXA-UD5 with dual HD6870 graphics card (one now and another later)...

But it seems that Adobe is not AMD/ATI friendly... only supported cards are NVIDIA...

So help me get the configuration right...

Wont a Nvidia GTX570 suffice? Its even more powerful than the GTX480 :D A Oced GTX570 comes close to even the GTX580 performance :D And i expect Indian price to be ~ 20k.

DarkAngel said:
Wont a Nvidia GTX570 suffice? Its even more powerful than the GTX480 :D A Oced GTX570 comes close to even the GTX580 performance :D And i expect Indian price to be ~ 20k.
Yes... even i think that price wud b on higher side here in india... it is selling for 350 USD in USA... And here it will launch For 18K to 20K... :)

otherneo said:
Yes, I have started learning animation and want to get the machine which is good for me for another 2-3 years....

Initially I wanted GA-890FXA-UD5 with dual HD6870 graphics card (one now and another later)...
But it seems that Adobe is not AMD/ATI friendly... only supported cards are NVIDIA...

So help me get the configuration right...
THen wait for January my friend Sandy Bridge ( Core i7 ~ LGA 2011 socket ) is coming, but if you are fine with AMD get the AMD Phenom II 1090T B.E. + the Nvidia gtx 570 will do fine refer to DarkAngel for final configuration I am not always upto date with the prices :)

ALPHA17 said:
THen wait for January my friend Sandy Bridge ( Core i7 ~ LGA 2011 socket ) is coming, but if you are fine with AMD get the AMD Phenom II 1090T B.E. + the Nvidia gtx 570 will do fine refer to DarkAngel for final configuration I am not always upto date with the prices :)

I dont think LGA2011 is releasing in Jan. LGA2011 is coming only in Q3 2011. Only LGA1555 is released on Jan and the i3,15,17 processor for that socket.

DarkAngel said:
Actually Adobe has certified GTX470 and not GTX570/GTX480 :( (I don't know what is the specific reason). And that is the real spanner in the configuration..

If I ignore the adobe requirements, I would directly go for HD6870 from AMD/ATI... (only graphics card with OpenGL 4.0, rest are only OpenGL 3.2)

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

ALPHA17 said:
Actually I am not interested in Intel because of the higher price and lower number of cores in my budget...

Then it is fine if you go with HD 6870 in my views otherwise if you fell GTX 470 is also good enough go ahead

Any other suggestions ?

Tentatively I am looking at this configuration

AMD x1090T (x1100T is not available yet and only provide 100 MHz improvement over x1090T) Processor

Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD7 Motherboard

MSI HD 6970 (2GB DDR5) Graphics Card

Corsair 2*4G 1600 MHz RAM

Reconsider the motherboard the extra UD 7 ~ in Gigabytes hierarchy does not sum up much off an improvement as it only indicates number of overclock gimmicks they have bundled with the board also 2GB of V-RAM also make a very great difference get a reference 6970 design rest all fine :)

Go for Apple i-Mac, best for image/sound processing; Each and every Adobe-tool is available for Mac's, perhaps Mac suits pretty well with Adobe-tech.

Plan to have a physical-look of that, find about the display provided with i-Mac's.......its absolutely the best display available in market.

Screen equipped with: IPS & LED tech. with 2580*1600 resolution......man take a look of this.

ALPHA17 said:
Reconsider the motherboard the extra UD 7 ~ in Gigabytes hierarchy does not sum up much off an improvement as it only indicates number of overclock gimmicks they have bundled with the board also 2GB of V-RAM also make a very great difference get a reference 6970 design rest all fine :)
Actually UD7 provides Four gen2 full length PCIe slots; two running at x16 and two running at x8. This will give me a lot of future upgradation potential. This is the only reason I am going for UD7. Let me know if I am missing something.

Hades. said:
BTW Intel Processors performs better in Adobe CS5 ;)

Check Out This Review: CPU Benchmark, Part 3: High-End Processors. Page 7 - X-bit labs
Thanks for the update, I might go with intel core i7-970...

mehta_april said:
Go for Apple i-Mac, best for image/sound processing; Each and every Adobe-tool is available for Mac's, perhaps Mac suits pretty well with Adobe-tech.

Plan to have a physical-look of that, find about the display provided with i-Mac's.......its absolutely the best display available in market.

Actually the real component here is the graphics card, and Apple Mac fail miserably there... The best they have got is "ATI Radeon HD 5770 with 1GB GDDR5" which is neither professional nor top of the line.

mehta_april said:
Screen equipped with: IPS & LED tech. with 2580*1600 resolution......man take a look of this.

Actually I am going for Dell U2711 which supports the same resolution, is IPS; but with a lot better color depth. Mac Monitors come with 16 million colors whereas Dell U2711 is coming with 2.06 Billion :O colors...

^^

Look for the rig I doubt you'll CrossFire\SLI cards as none of the actual Professional developement software use the dual card setup(s) full potential, unless you are going to spend something like 55K for a FIREPro VX 8800 or Quaddro 4000 or above the SLI or CrossFire benefits are negligble + the MAc sadlyhas a lot going for it if you are looking at it from a purely Pro-user term + MUZIK + HD movies, I'm using MAYA 2K11 on a 3 year old Mac ( Core2Duo + 2Gb RAM + ATi X1600 ) ~ and this setup a-part from render lag ends up doing all the rest tasks very easily ~ optimised software ( MAC OS ) + balanced hardware + you will not notice that much difference between the Dell monitor and the MAc ( Trust me )

All in all it is upto you how much you want the system to cost and what you want to do with it
Any PC can run Adobe CS 5 ~ 25K one with a decent graphics card or a 2.5 Lac monster MacPro or Alienware PC, in the end it is your choice how much you want to invest

I currently have a 50K rig running MAYA and CS 5 + all current games at moderate settings ~ AMD 965 B.E. + ATi HD 5770 + 4 GB RAM :)

@otherneo: Actually the real component here is the graphics card, and Apple Mac fail miserably there... The best they have got is "ATI Radeon HD 5770 with 1GB GDDR5" which is neither professional nor top of the line.

Dude...the graphic-card you have mentioned is amazingly-fast. For any of your use-cases while using Adobe-Suite, you would never need to look back for any change for that machine, I can say sure upto CS5-suite.

Moreover, If you know about best programmers working on Adobe-platform, you will come to know that majority of them are happily married with Mac's.

mehta_april said:
@otherneo: Actually the real component here is the graphics card, and Apple Mac fail miserably there... The best they have got is "ATI Radeon HD 5770 with 1GB GDDR5" which is neither professional nor top of the line.

Dude...the graphic-card you have mentioned is amazingly-fast. For any of your use-cases while using Adobe-Suite, you would never need to look back for any change for that machine, I can say sure upto CS5-suite.
Moreover, If you know about best programmers working on Adobe-platform, you will come to know that majority of them are happily married with Mac's.

Okay, about the HD 5770 being awesomely fast I have nothing to say :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :no:

+ the problem with the Mac is it does not include compatibility with Windows features you know you don't even have NTFS support on a default Mac you need to buy a special edition of MS Office + open source plug ins ( negligible ) sure using MAYA on Mac is a great Experience = NIRVANA but the point is not every one manages to juggle between a PC and a Mac as easily as you make it seem and Mac is mostly used by Image Editing professionals

So are a lot of research and discussion, I have almost finalized this configuration...

Intel Core i7-980X
Gigabyte GA X58A UD7
6*4GB RAM @ 1600 Mhz
Nvidia Quadro 5000
2*160GB SSD
4*1TB Sata3 HDD
Corsair 1000HX
CoolerMaster HAF X
Logitech MX 5500
Dell U2711
CPU Liquid Cooler

It is tad costlier than what I started but I think this is the best machine...

Any suggestions on the configuration now...

Back