Narayana Murthy says Indian youth should work 70 hours a week

Do you agree with his statement

• Yes

• No

• Don't give a shit

Results are only viewable after voting.
I wont name the organization .But its a medium MNC supporting global brands. During covid times one of the task assistant director /director had taken up was approving internet bills :| for employees .Come on same should have been delegated to line managers.

The goal of organizations like infosys should be how do they optimize their work in terms of time effort and process rather than counting hours.

i still support Mr Murthy and the notion that he carries that Infosys needs to be in services industry .it creates jobs and puts food on the table .But that doesn't mean that Infosys goes ahead and create some thing on its own apart from custom financial products.

Even if either of TCS ,Infy creates even a india specific cloud i`ll be very happy

How much do you guys wanna bet that those agreeing with Murthy are not working for any employers like Murthy, but are employers themselves, be it some small firm with 4-5 employees and think that they deserve more hard working (long working) employees for the peanuts they pay them?

I hope if I ever make the jump from an employee to employer myself, I don't display such shallow character and forget the ground reality. As a nation and as a society, our goal shouldn't be a stronger economy alone, but better lives for all our fellow countrymen and not just the elite few at the top. Trickle down economics has been proven to be a myth and they still swear by it.

I am all for productivity - but we also have a toxic work culture where number of hours matter more than the outcome / results.
It’s so deeply embedded that even trying to change it within my own team doesn’t yield results.

The problem starts when people who are willing to not while away time / work smartly during the day so that they can wrap up work on time get skipped for promos/ good ratings over people who can demonstrate they are ready to slog - regardless of results
Totally agree with this, 40 hours with 90% productivity against 70 hours with 50% productivity thing. Unfortunately this is what we all are grown up with and it needs to change .

Murthy needs to get that eye of his straightened out so that he can see reality a bit more clearly.

Most that agree with Murthy are founders themselves, who aim to make you work more for less pay, under the BS pretense of "Make India a superpower, and leap ahead of other countries by generations" What a load of crock. There are way more pressing issues at hand.

He should donate all his wealth to charities, or even burn it for all I care, and start earning it all back by working 70hrs/day if he actually believes in what he said.

The harder the bees work, the more honey the beekeeper gets.

Edit: in fact let's add an expiry date to all hoarded wealth. If you don't spend the money within say 5 years, it will expire just like prepaid mobile balance, and absorbed towards the country's budget.

Last edited:
70/7=10h work add couple of hours for break and extra time, so you work 12h daily. What is the use of this much money when you can't spend time with your loved once.
If we exclude Sunday and be generous to give a day for family then the calculations says 70/6=11.6h + 2 extra hours (total around 14h) so you should start working at 7 am and end the day at 9 pm. Lets include couple of hours for traffic so you will have zero time for social life and do even basic things.

P.S. This schedule is for robots not humans

IMG-20231030-WA0000.jpg

Such a nonsense from Murthy and his likes who endorse him.
  • If he's so concerned about India
    • The very first question Murthy need to answer is what has he done at Infosys to make lives of Indians better ?
    • Why there is such a disparity in rise of CEO vs Fresher salary at his own firm?
    • Does he believe that inflation impacts the rich only?
    • Or has he forgotten what struggle means; where people spend their entire life just to earn a decent bread , quality of healthcare and education and little bit of lifestyle if possible .
    • And why his own kids are settled abroad ? Why are they not here serving for the betterment of the nation they were born in?
    • Ironically His son who's Jr fellow at Harvard couldn't even keep his father's surname ( Murthy -> Murty )
It is easier to utter nonsense and expect others to follow than oneself. He's not a leader .. just a capitalist.

Work = 70 hours per week = 10 hours per day
Commute (now that even IT is asking employees to return to office) = 3 hours per day (average minimum)
Sleep = 7-8 hours per day
Other unproductive stuff to sustain life (food, toilet, etc.) = 1-2 hours per day

I say why even waste the remaining 2 hours per day?
Narayan Murthy is idiot: he should've recommended 85 hours per week.

What he has said is his opinion and its fine to agree to him or not.
However, I can clearly see that there are people, who are working "for others" and there are who are "working for themselves". The ones who are working "for others" are the most frustrated ones :)

What he has said is his opinion and its fine to agree to him or not.
However, I can clearly see that there are people, who are working "for others" and there are who are "working for themselves". The ones who are working "for others" are the most frustrated ones :)
We were expecting logic from him, like a sensible thing. But like his vision, it seems that his mind is also LLTT. Looking London (what an irony), talking Tokyo.

We were expecting logic from him, like a sensible thing. But like his vision, it seems that his mind is also LLTT. Looking London (what an irony), talking Tokyo.
My limited reading of what is said that if we need to excel, we need to put more productive hours to work.
Sorry, if I taken this as his logic, did he said something else ?

I am still finding out a reason to understand where he went wrong and why this thread is full of rattling !
Also, whether you are paid by employer or by clients directly, you need to "work for yourself" !
IMHO, you can thrash me for having this opinion :)

Last edited:
I am still finding out a reason to understand where he went wrong and why this thread is full of rattling !
Simple answer? Murthy is seen as wise and influential. Other "leaders" may use his "words of wisdom" as an excuse to increase work hours for the salaried folk and keep pay low. "Murthy said it, so it must be true."

Also, there is a difference between "productive hours at work" vs "more hours at work". People like Murthy seem to think more hours = more productivity. His own company is of the worst paying places to work in, relative to the sector. In terms of employee benefits and pay, Infosys is garbage.

Last edited:
Back