N96, N85 & N79 - Major FW update v20 out!

Dunno how this has not been posted on TE yet. But for the N96, N85 & N79 owners, this is huge!! After nearly 5 months of waiting, the next iteration of FP2 is out. No more buggy & half baked OS. V20 is out, bringing not just bug fixes and improvements, but also new features!
I have updated my N85 by changing the product code to EURO1.
2.jpg

Observations :
15.jpg

* Turning Controls for Sensor : Silence Calls or Snooze the Alarm just by flipping the phone over! This feature was first introduced with 5800, but now has been added to all the three phones. Works like a charm :hap2:
16.jpg

3.jpg

* Active Standby Email Plugin - Finally Nokia realised that N series user's aren't dumb, and need some productive features too! You can set any email account in the default messaging client or the Nokia Messaging/Email client to be displayed on the active standby. There's also an option to just display the new mail counter, not the message details. Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo! or any Pop3/IMAP account, it can be anything!
* All the "Download crap" bookmark folders from the [COLOR=#00c800 !important][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][COLOR=#00c800 !important][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]browser[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR] have been deleted.

* The download apps bookmark from the App. Manager has been deleted.

* After updating, the special [COLOR=#00c800 !important][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][COLOR=#00c800 !important][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]icons[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR] for Music & Utilities folders were lost. Reset brought them back.

* The Download! app has been updated. No idea why.

* Dictionary has been added. Great for travellers, as it is primarily a two language dictionary.
* Phone number along with Contact's name - On incoming calls, the phone number of the caller is also displayed along with the name of the contact.
* Share Online 4 : SO has been updated to v4. For some strange reason, they decided to use the fugly E71/66 icons in this app! You can remove the active standby plugin for SO from it's settings now.
* Video Center's icon has also been changed.
* The keypad is now lighted even if the phone is put on charging.
For the N96, the update is even more important. Adds Audio Themes, Slide Handling etc.
Links :
N96 : Nokia N96 firmware updated to v20.050
Nokia N96 gets a Firmware update to v20.050 | ZOMG its Cj
Changes/Improvements/New features/Bugs noticed from v12.043 to v20.050
New Features
  • Email:
    • Nokia Email client and Mail for Exchange (MfE) preloaded (User will install and configure email clients with the help of Settings Wizard)
    • Settings Wizard 5.0: offers improvements for Nokia Email and MfE setup
    • Active Standby Email Plug-in: showing new email messages on Active Standby screen
  • Look & Feel:
    • Support for Audio Themes: configurable sounds for various events e.g. opening/closing slide, battery low etc
    • Setting to allow a slideshow to be used as wallpaper
    • Slide handling: Setting to allow user to configure effect opening/closing the slide has on a call and keylock
  • Others:
    • WiFi Protected Setup is now supported, allowing simplified setup of WLAN security with a supported WLAN access point
    • Support of IAD (Independent Application Delivery): Allows certain applications to be updated independently over the air.
Improvements
  • Correction for occasional CMLA (Content Management License Administrator) certificate corruption. (These certificates are needed for e.g. Mobile TV and N-Gage license purchases)
  • Energy management:
    • Shorter lights/screen timeout when lockswitch activated. Backlight dims as soon as keylock is enabled
    • Media Keys surrounding the rocker key lit only if a media application is open
    • Right Softkey changed from “Hide” to “Exit” for Music Player for EM savings
  • Photos/Camera/Imaging:
    • A number of improvements made to the Camera image quality
    • The device SW version information is now stored in the image MetaData
    • Default recording quality for video is changed from ‘TV normal’ to TV high’
    • Noise reduction of recorded videos
  • Media/DRM:
    • New version of Music player: Performance and “Comes With Music”-related improvements
    • FlashLite update for improved YouTube compatibility – improvements in rendering of Flash Video
    • General Media player &streaming related usability & performance improvements
    • OMA DRM v2 content can use device clock if no secure clock (i.e. NITZ) is available
  • Browser:
    • Empty bookmark folders removed from Browser bookmarks (i.e. the “Download…” folders)
    • Link to Ovi.mobi is included in Browser bookmarks
  • Others:
    • Vibra enabled when charging
    • When gaming in landscape mode, stereo audio will be played through correct speakers
    • Updated Themes
    • Slide triggered keyguard activation: When closing the slide, pressing any key within 2 seconds will result in keylock not being activated
    • Several error corrections based on Care and operator feedback
    • Several application baseline updates
N85 & N79 -
Nokia N79 and Nokia N85 firmware upgraded to v20.175
Changelog for N79 : N85 e N79: disponibile il nuovo firmware 20.175 : Spaziocellulare News Magazine
Bugs fixed:
  • Cannot display sim contact on U-Sim (1000 contact sim card) when switch another UI language
  • Dialing 110 customer care phone redirect the call to be an EMERGENCY CALL
  • Music plays in speaker when receive sms under silent mode
  • Smartone foneTV video not restore after end MT call
  • Audio is improperly routed from headset to speaker when receiving a SMS message
  • Phone hang during accessing Nokia Maps application in SW 11.049
  • Cant access sim card contacts
  • Can’t input Chinese character “丁” by stroke input
  • Themes: Audio Themes, when select Nokia - “Several sound files Missing” appears
New Features:
  • Bookmarks updated to remove Download link folders
  • MTP configuration to enable Social Cinema support
  • TARM in 3.2 based devices
  • Email plug-in functionality
  • 7-bit encoding of Turkish characters in SMS
  • TP Wizard to check availability of Nokia email service
  • Media player default settings changes
  • 2 New vanilla CTRs, called: EGYPT NO-GPS (releases MEA datapackage)
  • 2 new codes : SYRIA NO-GPS (releases MEA datapackage)
  • Memory card ID change for Indonesia CTR’s. was MC001 and changed to –> MC002
  • Update Bookmarks for China PRC Vanilla Core SW
  • Files on Ovi Widget
  • S60 3.2 based devices - Making Gimlet visible in Settings Wizard selection
  • Turn “PnP Mobile Services” On
  • S&S Application updates
  • MPX player not accessible when USB cable connected
SW improvements and corrections:
  • Active Idle
    • Search & WLAN information difficult to read in Active Idle.
    • Active Idle screen becomes blank in landscape mode.
    • Default Active Idle shortcuts configured.
    • Active Idle going dead after quickly accepting and rejecting an incoming video call.
    • White boxes shown on the screen while doing orientation change quickly in idle mode.
  • Application Manager
    • The sis file which is installed to MoviNand or SD card cannot be seen in application manager.
    • Wrong Feature Manager flag used for seamless link functionality.
    • Flashlite sis installation is not successful in the first attempt.
  • Application Update
    • Unable to upgrade graphic icons in Media Player / Media Settings via sis file.
    • Unable to upgrade ROM based UI application by installing new version to memory card.
    • Application Update self-update never completes.
    • Upgrade of BrowserAudioVideoPlugin.rsc via sw installation is not possible.
    • Upgrade of Connection Manager via sw installation is not possible.
  • Audio Performance
    • Tunings improvements for IHF audio.
    • Keypad tones cannot be tuned for IHF.
  • Auto-Rotate
    • UI Accelerator toolkit (Hitchcock/Alfred) stub file missing.
    • Locking keys and then opening camera reveal confuses orientation sensor.
    • Disable orientation in alarm ringing, incoming call and semi active state.
    • Panic after orientation change.
  • Bluetooth
    • Bluetooth headset disconnects when Wireless Keyboard is disconnected from the phone automatically.
    • Phone panics when changing views in Bluetooth menu while choosing the last connected device from paired view.
The changelog for n85 has not been released yet.

I am in Firmware 10.xx now and i was wondering whether anyone else has this problem:

When i disconnect the phone from mass storage mode, and start music player, it syncs for new songs...but then the now playing screen doesn't come up no matter what i do. I just have to switch off and switch on the phone. Is this a bug?

gizmoholic said:
I am in Firmware 10.xx now and i was wondering whether anyone else has this problem:

When i disconnect the phone from mass storage mode, and start music player, it syncs for new songs...but then the now playing screen doesn't come up no matter what i do. I just have to switch off and switch on the phone. Is this a bug?
What the hell are you doing in Fw 10? Upgrade to FW20 today! Its simply superb. Havn't had a single restart ever since i upgraded to FW 20. Its like the whole system has been pepped up. Don't you have access to any WiFi hotspot? Or if you have a laptop, create an Ad-Hoc connection and update your phone over the air. The download would be under 10 MB.

So after whole six whole months there comes a stable firmware update for n85 :mad: .. Anyways i am very happy with my n82. Any improvements in camera ?

yogi7272 said:
So after whole six whole months there comes a stable firmware update for n85 :mad: .. Anyways i am very happy with my n82. Any improvements in camera ?

Not sure of the camera, but guess how long it takes me to get the GPS locks now? 1 Minute!!!
I don't know whether it is because of the new firmware or because of using Mobile Office for A-GPS, but in the same places where it would take me atleast 3-5 minutes previously on FW11 + Airtel Live!, i now get locks within a minute with FW20 + Mobile Office!

yogi7272 said:
I get it in about 10 seconds with the same airtel combo with n82:tongue:
Anyways enjoy ur n85 as long as it lasts ...:bleh:
I said within a minute because i also included indoor locations where i used to not even get a lock after 5 minutes previously. I used to use Airtel Live for A-GPS till recently, switched to mobile office just now. Huge huge improvement. On the roads & in open areas, the locks are instantaneous.
By the time Google Maps opens & i switch from Latitude to Maps view, the lock has already taken place. Wasn't aware that GPS is so quick :D
By the way, you don't have you N85 now?
Mine is going as strong as before, that too after hours & hours of N-Gage, 10K+ NGPs, nearly 5 hours + Wifi daily. Enjoying it :bleh:

Another point, havn't had a single restart since the update :bleh:

nope .. sold my n85.. it took them to over 40 days to get it repaired.. Back onto trusty n82.. lets see if n86 is any good? ;) mind u n85's only prob is its build quality ..otherewise that handset is a gem too..

* Phone number along with Contact's name - On incoming calls, the phone number of the caller is also displayed along with the name of the contact.

How the hell do you enable this?
I've updated my N85-1 to V20 and HARD formatted it, still no luck getting this to work?

rog1 said:

I've updated my N85-1 to V20 and HARD formatted it, still no luck getting this to work?
I don't think i did anything special or different to enable this. Wasn't even aware of this till the time I noticed it happen.
Just format the phone. Should be there. BTW, i flashed my phone with the EURO FW via NSU.

rog1 said:

Change the product code to euro 1 and then reflash. It has its advantages like camera sound off etc ..

Back