OC & Modding n00b OC questions.

Folks, I have run into a problem. I might have been acting misinformed all this while & I need your help.

It is regarding temperatures. Up till now I had been happily OCing, testing & checking the temps...but not the ones I probably should have.

The question is, which temperature is more relevant when OCing...is it the individual core temperatures or the CPU temperature ? At my current OC, CPU temp is around 60 degrees at full load while the individual cores have temperatures around 80 degrees ! And at idle, CPU temp is around 25 degrees while the core temperatures are around 38-40 degrees.

My concern: at full load, are the core temps really high, or are they fine ? (of course this question is relevant if it is the core temperatures that are of more importance ! )

alcy said:
Folks, I have run into a problem. I might have been acting misinformed all this while & I need your help.

It is regarding temperatures. Up till now I had been happily OCing, testing & checking the temps...but not the ones I probably should have.

The question is, which temperature is more relevant when OCing...is it the individual core temperatures or the CPU temperature ? At my current OC, CPU temp is around 60 degrees at full load while the individual cores have temperatures around 80 degrees ! And at idle, CPU temp is around 25 degrees while the core temperatures are around 38-40 degrees.

My concern: at full load, are the core temps really high, or are they fine ? (of course this question is relevant if it is the core temperatures that are of more importance ! )

What are you using to measure temperatures? I'd suggest using core temp and posting back.

Thanks for replying.

coretemp-isa-0000

Adapter: ISA adapter

Core 0: +44.0°C (high = +80.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)

coretemp-isa-0001

Core 1: +44.0°C (high = +80.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)

coretemp-isa-0002

Core 2: +44.0°C (high = +80.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)

coretemp-isa-0003

Core 3: +42.0°C (high = +80.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)

coretemp-isa-0004

Core 4: +44.0°C (high = +80.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)

coretemp-isa-0005

Core 5: +44.0°C (high = +80.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)

coretemp-isa-0006

Core 6: +44.0°C (high = +80.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)

coretemp-isa-0007

Core 7: +42.0°C (high = +80.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)

These are temps reported by lm_sensors s/w on my linux box.

To be 101 % sure, I have confirmed these on my Windows installation as well using CoreTemp 0.99.5

The threshold applies to the core temperatures. They are on the higher side, but you cant expect any lower from i7 920/Hyper 212+ at those speeds anyway.

Alcy:

What Damn is saying above is true. You could probably be reaching a limit. Just to be sure, run a RealTEMP run -- 'Sensor Check', and post the screen shot here. It picks the correct temperatures. Of course run it, with the OC mounted.

Try to keep temps under 70c if you are going to use the cpu to full capacity like rendering :) If you just going to use light loads than 75c is ok while stability testing. :)

Thanks for the replies folks.

UPDATE: I have decided to put my OC experiments on halt as of now. Its been exciting for sure, but the investment in the rig is a little too high for me to continue the work with the existing cooling solution I have. This thread has been really useful (thanks to everyone who replied), am keeping it for reference-when I'll need it. :)

Back