My latest acquisition, an ICY BOX

RiO

Skilled
With 4 computers at home, I had to find a better way to manage my music and data, instead of keeping my main rig turned on all the time. After a day's research, ordered the Icy Box IB-NAS4220-B along with two Seagate 500GB 7200.11 32MB hard drives. Apart from it's good looks and build, here are some of its features:

· Numer of users and groups not limited

· Supports two 3,5" SATA HDD of any size

· Gigabit Ethernet network

· 2x USB client interface for printer, HDDs, USB Sticks

· One Touch Backup

· RAID0, 1, Span (NRAID), JBOD

· 7 Server in one: Samba Server, NFS Server, FTP Server, DHCP Server, UPnP-AV, ITunes Support, Print server

· Quiet case - temperature controlled fan

· Low power consumption

Set it up as a basic file server and download box a few days ago, but one of these days will add FTP and Twonky media services.

Congratulations !! Nice Combo, looks great ........
Even i was thinking of buying a NAS Drive last year for temp purpose, but ended up using low end rig for the same.

greenhorn said:
damage, and does it have anything over the D link DNS 323 ?

£98 for the Icy Box + drives + shipping. Both boxes have the same features but the Icy Box cost me £75 lesser, and it matches the 23MBps-read and 15MBps-write speeds of the DLink.

Keane 16 said:
Complete n00b here; What exactly is it? Like a wireless hard disk you can access? :S

It's basically network storage with a fancy interface to manage users, sharing, media - hooking it up to a wireless router makes it accessible over your wireless network, which is what I've done. In addition to that, it acts as a download box due to the integrated bit torrent service/app.

Ordered and canceled those DDR3 sticks because centralized storage became a higher priority, plus I put down a good bit for a new guitar and an amplifier is next :)

Jackson DK2M Pro Series (see avatar :p), and need to order a Line 6 Spider III 30W amp for practice/recording - comes fitted with a Custom Celestion 12" speaker.

Here's my internet connection, always in the 10-12Mbps range but nothing to download - watching "Guitar World" on Joost most of the time :D

RiO said:
£98 for the Icy Box + drives + shipping. Both boxes have the same features but the Icy Box cost me £75 lesser, and it matches the 23MBps-read and 15MBps-write speeds of the DLink.

It's basically network storage with a fancy interface to manage users, sharing, media - hooking it up to a wireless router makes it accessible over your wireless network, which is what I've done. In addition to that, it acts as a download box due to the integrated bit torrent service/app.

woah, it runs bittorent ??

suddenly feel an urge to ping KMD and order one of these.... must resist :mad:

Yup, it does... ran a 4GB test download a couple days ago, works great - super silent with very low power consumption and you can limit BTorrent download/upload speeds so your other work is unaffected.

I was looking for something similar as I have run out of SATA ports on my P5W :p + I want to run a bit torrent client without the keeping my rig switched on all the time.

Is this available in the US, are there any other similar options that are not too costly.

This particular Icy Box model isn't available at popular US stores, the single bay NAS device is available on the egg but I'm not sure about their performance and features. Your best bet in the US is D-Link if you can find a good deal.

Well, the D-Link site doesn't explicitly indicate whether it supports BTorrent or not, but the Raidsonic site didn't indicate that either - it was a pleasant surprise when I was configuring it :)

RiO said:

Niiice. What exactly do you use it for though? Multiple rigs?

Ank1t said:
:O Sweet stuff man.. What happ to your other Jackson then?

The JS30 is with me too, it's more for Metal though while the DK2M will be used for Blues, Jazz and Rock ;)

Keane 16 said:
Niiice. What exactly do you use it for though? Multiple rigs?

Primarily for centralized storage that won't depend on whether my PC's are up and running - but it will also serve as a backup repository of my entire music/movie/picture collection, web/ftp server, download box and maybe more.

wow ..total drool mall ..

by da way like keane me too a total n00b when it comes to these NAS sever..

what i wanted to ask is

1) ..what is it connected to ?..

like is it connected to u r main internet router which is wireless ??..and then using the router its connected to all ur other rigs ??

2)so the download continues even if all the machines are switched off ?

i mean how do u start da downloads ? store the torrent file in the sever ??i mean whats da display ? does the NAS server have a display screen..

or u first need to start da download and then turn off ur pc ??

err sorry i know too many questions...but all these came to ma mind and i got confused..shorry :p

Back