MTNL Packet Loss problem and ISPs in Mulund

My MTNL broadband connection has been giving lot of problems recently. Registering complaint on 198 doesn't help much. I'm unable to do online gaming or download from file sharing sites due to packet loss issues. This is in Mulund(West). So, I need help on the following 2 things:
1) Does anyone have any pointers on the cause of this packet loss issue and is there someone in MTNL I can escalate this to?
2) In case the above option doesn't work, what other good ISPs are available in Mulund(West)?

Thanks In Advance.

hi,

i would suggest you these...

1. change your DNS from whatever DNS you have to 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2

2. Turn on windows firewall and or use a another firewall.

3. Reboot the router and see if that makes a change.

If none of these above work, please login to the router and post for us the line stats so we can help you any further. Further adding, i would appreciate if you could post a screen shot of the packet losses on pings. Is it happening on the gateway ? or is it happening while you ping yahoo.com or some other ip.

hi,

i would suggest you these...

1. change your DNS from whatever DNS you have to 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2

2. Turn on windows firewall and or use a another firewall.

3. Reboot the router and see if that makes a change.

If none of these above work, please login to the router and post for us the line stats so we can help you any further. Further adding, i would appreciate if you could post a screen shot of the packet losses on pings. Is it happening on the gateway ? or is it happening while you ping yahoo.com or some other ip.
Thanks for your detailed reply. I don't think it's a DNS or firewall issue because these haven't changed. I don't know which router settings do you refer to as line stats. Would you please elaborate? Unfortunately, I won't be able to give you these stats until the next time I visit Mumbai - I go there once in 2/3 weeks. Let me elaborate about the packet loss issue. When I play the online game Team Fortress 2(TF2), I frequently get a connection lost message which sometimes resolves itself within 30 seconds or disconnects from the server if connection could not be regained within 30 seconds. So, if I do a ping -t <IP address of TF2 server>, I can see ping response from the server for some packets and "Request timed out" message for some packets. The percentage of packets lost varies from 10% to 35%.

Back