OC & Modding Moderate Overclock - Need Suggestions

thelord

Disciple
Hey everyone.

Overclocked my sytem for the first time. Moderate, nothing off the hook.

AMD A64 3000+ Venice, temp 54-55 C @ 1.8 GHz under load

ASUS A8N-E

TwinMOS 2*512 DDR400 RAM

ColorSit 450 W PSU :(

Overclock Profile

HTT - 250

CPU - 2250 @ 1.37v (250*9)

RAM - 204.5 @ 2.65v (2250/11 using 166 divider) [2.5-3-3-6 1T]

HT - 1000 (250*4)

The CPU did 12 hours Prime95, max temp 56-57.

Completed 3 hours memtest, no probs there too.

Now when I tried 2-3-3-6 1T timimgs for the RAM, it started giving errors with memtest. Any suggestions on how I can improve on the RAM.

Thanks

You can't do 2-3-3-6 in twinmos pal, its a very tight timing. try 2.5-3-3-8 and 2.5-4-4-8 see how much you can oush ur ram too... My twinmos does 228 @ 2.5-4-3-8.

Keep an eye on the CPU temp. Its on the higher side. Mine never cross 50 @load, 1.425 vcore when i had the stock cooler.

btw, Whats your processor steping?

I am assuming that u have normal value rams.

To acheive tight timings of 2-3-3-6 u need to spend more and get hold of some better rams then only u can do that sort of timings.

Eg.

Rams based on TCCD Chip [now hard to find] can do 2-2-2-5 @ 200Mhz

and they can be clocked to as high as 300Mhz.

varies from chip to chip used on ur ram.

Value rams can help you with timings as such.

from 200 to 220 approx u can do 2.5-3-3-7/8 Vdimm 2.7/2.8

from 220 to 240 approx u can do 2.5-4-4-8 Vdimm 2.8

[approx values also depends on luck if u ram can do that much]

Value ram chips having Hynix D43 or Twinmos M.Tec can help you with above timings.

Oh.. k
I was under the impression that 2-3-3-6 wud be possible at around 200-204
I will let memtest run overnight at 2.5-3-3-7 and see if there are any errors.

@Saiyan
I find the temps a bit of concern too. Thats the reason I dont wanna clock it over 2250 mhz. Whats strange is that even at stock 1.8, the procy burns at 54-55 when Prime95 is doing its stuff. At 2.25 its raised to 56. Idle temp is around 40 C though.

That is quite high. My opty(1.8 Ghz) used to give load temps of 44-45C on stock cooler. Paste used was AS5. Which one are u using?

Yes those temps are high, but they could be wrong as well. I used to get temps of 54 C at 2600 Mhz (1.675V) on a Socket 754 processor which heats up more that the Venice core you have.

Am not using any extra thermal paste.
Just the one that came with the procy heatsink.
Talked to my vendor & he said there may be warranty issues if one removes the stock paste & apply a custom one like Arctic Silver 5.

Another point, the temp stays at 52-53 under normal load conditions (like gaming, video encoding n all). Its with Prime95 only that the temp touches 56.

How are the ambient temps like? Any case 40C during idle is high unless the motherboard is reporting oc'ed values :)
And applying AS5 will not void any warranty as it is just like any another thermal paste ( not in performance though :D ).

Everything is under 40 @ idle conditions.

SpeedFan reports

Temp1 37-38 (Proc)

Temp2 36-37 (Mobo I guess)

Temp3 24-25 (case maybe)

HD0 38-39 (Hard disk)

Temp1 37-38 (No Idea abt this one)

So is the proc heating up a lot. I mean will it really damage the CPU running 55-56 under extreme load conditions.

And yea, which is the best place to look for AS5.

Computer stores here in Chandigarh aren't generally much aware of these type of thermal pastes.

Yep, 65C is the max threshold for these CPU's as specified by AMD. So your temps are pretty high.

However the A64 is generally a cool running processor. So there could be a couple of reasons for the high temps:

1. misreporting by your board's sensors - in this case, you can only hope any updated BIOS'es fix it, however i've not heard of other A8N-E users reporting of erratic temps so guess this may not be the case.

2. improperly seated heatsink - simply remove and re-install the heatsink to make sure there's proper contact between the processor and heatsink (and apply a fresh coat of thermal paste as well)

3. bad case airflow - make sure your cabinet has good and sufficient case airflow, but its not essential that you need to have a 'wind tunnel' running through your cabinet. To know if your cabinet has improper airflow, simply open up the side panel and note if there is a drop in temps.

And finally, AS5 is a pretty good thermal paste but I do not recommend that you go running out to buy it, since it isnt going to miraculously drop temps by 10~20C. A 5C temp drop would be more realistic, and would in most likelihood not help your situation much.

Thanks for sharing the info bro..

I just checked out the reasons you pointed out.

1. Using the latest BIOS version, so I guess this is not the prob

2. Hmm, I recall that when my vendor was setting up the HS, for some reason it didn't fit in the first time. He lifted it just slightly and got it right the second time. Could this be the cause.

3. Opened the side cabinet, no change. Did Prim95 for a few minutes at stock 1.8 Ghz and temp is around 53-54. :|

So I guess, I'll have to re-seat the HS.

^ I forgot to mention this, but simply touch the heatsink with your finger and test if it *actually* feels hot like its 50C. If its not, its either misreporting or the HSF isnt in proper contact.

P.s: About the TwinMos RAM part, i'm surprised you even booted up at CAS 2 timings! Mine will refuse to even boot up with those timings. And yes, sadly they do not favour the tighter timings even at stock speeds.

Well guys. Applied AS5 to the proc today & am getting 43 C on max load.
Stock cooling, OC@2.25 ghz, all in a pre-historic cabinet. :D
Am sure the temps will fall further once the paste settles down.

I dont wanna hijack this thread....but i just wanna know how to control the cpu fan speed....currently my A64 2800+ is doin 41-43 @ idle

^^ Checkout if Speedfan supports your motherboard. Very handy utility. Else most motherboards do have option in the BIOS to run the fan at slow/full speeds based on CPU temperatures.

Well am going to get a new case soon.

Most probably the Antec SLK3000B. :)

Coming back to the OC profile, what do you guys suggest.

Higher clock for proc

OR

Running ram without a divider (means lower proc speed)

I have TwinMOS (value I guess), so don't want to stretch it beyond 235.

^ Definately the higher clock!

Everyone would tell you that as per A64's - clock speed is king. The A64 definately isnt a memory bandwidth hog and apart from synthetic benchmarks, it doesnt show much improvement in real-life apps if you have a higher memory speed.

So focus on CPU speeds primarily, and then worry about making the most of your memory next. Your TwinMos would most likely do 235Mhz @ 2.5-4-4-8.

BTW, why not try to push the Opty a bit more so as to pull up the memory speed with the mem divider?

I have my Venice 3000+ running @ 2430 now.

OC Profile

CPU Clock: 2430.7 MHz (original: 1800 MHz, overclock: 35%)

CPU Multiplier: 9.0x

CPU FSB: 270.1 MHz (original: 200 MHz, overclock: 35%)

Memory Bus: 221.0 MHz (2.5-3-3-8 1T @ 2.7 V)

DRAM:FSB Ratio: CPU/11

Max temperature under load - 48 C

Prime95 failed within an hour @ 1.39 vcore

I obviously need to up the vcore. Any guess on what could be the optimum minimum value. It'll save a lot of time if I get an aproximate idea. :)

Secondly, my 450W Cororsit PSU gives the following readings @ full load.

+3.3 V 3.33 V

+5 V 5.00 V

+12 V 12.10 V

+5 V Standby 5.00 V

VBAT Battery 3.12 V

Once in a minute, +12 V value changes to 12.16

+3.3 V value changes to 3.34, happens once or twice a minute.

Is this PSU capable of handling the current OC profile.

Back