Budget 15-20K Mi4 vs Oneplus One - tough choice!

(Current Nexus 5 user, fed up of its battery)
I'm basically looking for a hassle free experience with great battery life most of all! My ROM Flashing days are pretty much over, I want a consistent experience now.

I've used both phones for a few mins and here were my observations:
Oneplus One:
  • Seemed a bit too big. But everyone feels this way before upgrading screen sizes. Not sure though.
  • Screen seemed a bit faded out and dull as compared to my Nexus 5.
  • Hardware wise, it felt great but not better than the Mi4.
  • I've only used it with 4.4.4. How's the Lollipop experience on this? Specifically, hows the battery on a Lollipop rom??
Xiaomi Mi4
  • Felt *really* good in my hand. It's also a 5 incher so it felt more natural to me.
  • Looks a lot like an iPhone, but I don't mind that.
  • Software seemed slick, although the slow transitions were frustrating.
  • I think I'm gonna really miss stock lollipop. How is the software experience on this phone? Any chance of flashing plain old Lollipop?

Overall, which phone would you suggest? As you can see, I prefer the Mi4's hardware but the Oneplus One's software.

I can't spend 22k on the 64gb version, so it's 19k for 16GB Oneplus One vs 20k for 16GB Mi4.

How is the software experience on this phone? Any chance of flashing plain old Lollipop?

Overall, which phone would you suggest? As you can see, I prefer the Mi4's hardware but the Oneplus One's software.

I can't spend 22k on the 64gb version, so it's 19k for 16GB Oneplus One vs 20k for 16GB Mi4.

There is the Stock Android ROM 5.0.2 from ivan, though not totally perfect, but somewhat close near perfection.
You can read about it, if you choose to http://en.miui.com/thread-84332-1-1.html
Mi promised to release the source code in March/ April, but with the kind of sales they are doing now, that is far from reality!

Now the spending part, if you really liked the 1+, there were lot of offers running through e-vouchers/gift cards previously; now ATM nothing though; could have brought the pricing of a 64GB model close around 19k-20K depending upon the e-gift coupon/ gift card!

Memory isn't really a deal breaker for me. Although I wouldn't have been able to turn down the 64gig model for 20k :eek:. Sad to have missed out on so many offers.

My main few concerns are:

1. 1+1's screen - Is it actually a bit underwhelming or is it just me?
2. Miui - Will I regret jumping from stock nexus Android to a heavily skinned MIUI experience?
3. Battery - How's the battery life on 3G? I've heard some not-so-good things about mi4 on 3G...

"good 10 hrs battery life on moderate use, what i observed is if we are in 3G and constant internet browsing the battery might last with in 6-7 hrs . "

"Not getting enough out of it, although it is 3080 mAh. I was using mi3 and i can safely say after 8 days of use, Mi3 had a better battery. It doesn't last me the entire day. After checking battery stats screen is the biggest battery consumer. So no apparent bad app which is causing this. (Brightness is at 40% and on auto brightness)"

I have switched from nexus 5 to 1+1. I don't find the screen underwhelming. Battery life is good for me. Lasts whole day even after heavy usage. You get used to can size in a couple of days.

Yep of course there are a few such reviews, but by and large people seem to be happy with the battery. Still can't make up my mind though. Any owners want to chip in?
Most of the people who say "fine" are usually people who don't use the phone much. Well not as much as myself. I'm very critical especially when it comes to the battery and most phones which people praised disappointed me.
Also I'm sure that you already know but if you want to check battery reviews you should compare them from multiple reviews sites since these guys dont give that "complete" tests. also there are those handful of people who gave very reliable reviews on Flipkart and Amazon don't ignore them. For now its a proven fact that the 1+1 has a very good battery.
I love the 1+1 (I used it again just yesterday) but like yourself i prefer the smaller size of the mi4 5.0". I used the mi3 once. software/interface was a pita for me.
Also CM on 1+1. There will be a good number of custom ROMs in the future. Stability is a different case.

I'm in exactly the same situation right now. Can't decide between these two. OPO is definitely better than Mi4 but Mi4 is not too far behind. 5.5 will be too big for me so I might end up with Mi4.

I jumped from Redmi 1s to 1+, the screen size is something about getting used to. After a week or so, it feels normal. The sandstone back is something you wont find on any other phone, and it feels nice to hold it. The 5.5 inch screen helps when watching movies. Batter life lasts more than a day easily for me, that too on 3G. Camera software is average or rather it sucks, but there are people in the developer community working on it.

Currently is am using the CameraNext sofware for clicking pictures. Below are some of the clicks. P.S- Filters were used.
Used the Slow Shutter mode to catch the Lightning bolt.
17493_10152585572601923_6544859554643857962_n.jpg

10455290_10152591788911923_459252925443081784_n.jpg

I am using oneplusone 64gig model since november. On stock Kitkat, the battery was awesome. Lasted whole day easily with heavy use. I used to get 6to7 hours of SOT too. Then in december lollipop came. Have been on many roms, but the battery life has been average. It still last a full day but i am generally at 15 to 20 percent or less in the evening while reaching home at 7pm compared to 35 to 40 percent on stock kitkat.

Will be waiting for stock lollipop in march end to lookout for better battery stats.:)

Screen has been good both in terms of brightness and size. Only downside to me was my oneplus heats a lot while playing games. The cpu temps are in 70-75 degrees celcius range in some games.
Overall i will still recommend one plus one over mi4.

The battery in the Mi4 is very good and I am saying this after one month of use. The battery easily lasts me a day with heavy usage. This includes 3G always on. Mails are synched maybe 10 times in a day. 1-2 hours of gaming and 1 hour of web browsing and the battery still lasts till around 9-10pm.

Its an excellent phone and I much prefer the Miui interface compared to stock android. It really is a pleasure to use. Maybe I like it all the mroe as I am coming in after 4-5 years of Iphone usage.

Back