Linux Me vs Linux: Preparing for Round 5

Haha

Great sense of humor there....

But seriously, reading some of the replies so far (and not just topic), it seems like folks on technology discussion boards seem be indoctrinated to some notions without any serious thought behind why (it wouldn't be indoctrination otherwise, would it ..:D )

Anyway I'll mark my exit, and all I'll say is that Linux (seemingly) seems great for pre-defined usage patterns (server/grandma PC etcc)

It's also great in the sense it's free (and you really can't

But when I need an everyday use OS that gives me a consistent user experience and a consistently intuitive interface and if the need arises, provides for consistently defined style of allowing complex stuff

I tried using the linux ubuntu desktop for a short while and felt it falls woefully short on that front

different ppl have different opinions....

The things i have written are based on my opinions and also based on how some people in my office have reacted to the latest version of Ubuntu.

oops, sorry, the reply above was meant for Zhopudey

For darkstar and montylee,

Actually those questions were meant to be rhetorical ...I know how to do all 3

I posed them to only point out the difficulties associated with seeming simple things

For #1,I know you can fairly easily use USB drives with Liux (although it not just complains, but at time absolutely disallows non-clean dismounted drives to be mounted, which is rather painful)

Q However, #1 was for adding an extra internal drive

for #2) Montylee said, " It's very simple in Ubuntu. The interface is similar to Mac. You have to specify the mount details like IP, domain name, user name and password. I have tested it in my office network. You can even install a network printer."

I hate to say it, but I'll have to disagree.. I sometimes end up using a Mac and even though I am still picking up the ropes, it's been a much more streamlined experience

Network drives actually show up on their own on a Mac, and frankly, I really wouldn't want to enter all those details everytime I restart my system...I mean it's ok one time, but every time ....

#3 - Alright there, I threw that in the mix just to annoy Linux lovers :)

sally1708 said:
I hate to say it, but I'll have to disagree.. I sometimes end up using a Mac and even though I am still picking up the ropes, it's been a much more streamlined experience

Network drives actually show up on their own on a Mac, and frankly, I really wouldn't want to enter all those details everytime I restart my system...I mean it's ok one time, but every time ....

#3 - Alright there, I threw that in the mix just to annoy Linux lovers :)

u don't have to give the details every time. You can save the details while mounting a network drive.

i do not agree dat linux isnt mainstream yet..

even games work on some distros now :)

im doing fine wid ubuntu 8.04 (mint5)..

ati drivers work, comiz works, wine works n cs-cz works fifa08 work,motogp works...thats all i have tried till now.

as for how to backup dloaded packages in ubuntu.... use APTonCD to do that...it will back up ur app cache folder... which on restore.. will give u exact apt cache... in this way u dnt need to dload them again... bt u still gotta install them..

other way around is Acronis True home image...

The processes becomes butter smooth if u have Vista on ur system..

1)IMP:- while installing linux... install the Bootloader on the root partition... n not the MasterBootRecord....(keep that hdd as ur primary hdd while installation)

2)ur pc wont boot to linux now...so go vista n install EasyBCD...add entry for ur linux wid partion to it..

3)Backup after u hav done all app installation u want in linux...

4) (assuming u have screwed up ur system already)

5) restore to whichever partition u want...

6) Modify EasyBCD Entries acording to partition change...

7) Repair Boot Loader from installation disk...

many GNU/Linux distros are already ready for desktop usage from 2002 onwards.

and I dont want to be into flamewar.but GNU/Linux Just works Superb for me.Window$ was history.(needless to say M$ window$ died for me 6.5 years ago :p ).

query abt backup is answered.

abt x server...

u can try initialising or reconfiguring it..

on Ubuntu.. try

$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

on openSuSE.. try

$ sax2 -r

Zhop, Once you finish updating and customising it, I suggest you take a disk backup, rather than going through the churns once again.

If i have learnt anything in the countless tries to break away from windows is that, sooner or later there is 1 program that you "HAVE" to use, that dosent emulate well/ or work on Linux. Thats where the bow breaks and you end up coming back shamelessly to Windows.

I think linux can perform expectionally well, where uses are predefinied and there are no variations outside its scope eg: a media center, a torrent download rig, a music or video streaming server, for all this you wont need windows, for eevrything else, gulp it up with go,ol Vista :p

Who's breaking away from windows? Not me! :eek:hyeah:

Guys, this is not a philosophical debate :p Linux guys, don't be so serious :no:

One tip: If you are going for ubuntu/debian stay as close to package manager as possible and avoid compiling packages unless absolutely necessary .. sticking to official packages makes upgrades very easy later on . I am running ubuntu 8.10 and must say it works flawlessly and everything works out of box for me .. ATI drivers in repository are also quite good now unlike gutsy . My current pass time is hackintosh though .. PITA to install but end product is worth it ;)

rapt0r said:
One tip: If you are going for ubuntu/debian stay as close to package manager as possible and avoid compiling packages unless absolutely necessary .. sticking to official packages makes upgrades very easy later on . I am running ubuntu 8.10 and must say it works flawlessly and everything works out of box for me .. ATI drivers in repository are also quite good now unlike gutsy . My current pass time is hackintosh though .. PITA to install but end product is worth it ;)

Ahhh I have to try that as well :)

[OT] Why am I always late to flame wars? [/OT]. All the best zhopudey, wish you have a great Linux user experience. Real men compile their own packages, realistic men usually set the install prefix to /opt and add it to their paths. ;-) What I don't get is why one must spell Microsoft(TM) Windows with dollar signs, is it the "in thing" now?

zhopudey said:
I'll be able to install it just fine. Have reinstalled linux probably more times than darkstar :eek:hyeah: Then I'll d/l the drivers, updates, and any extra s/w I need. Its after this stage that things start acting up. So, I would like to create a new iso with all these updates. If ubuntu borks up on me, I wouldn't have to waste bandwidth d/ling everything again. How do I do this?

Better yet, any idea if acronis true image bootable cd will let me create an image of the install?

Reconstructor

Back