Magazine Printing!!!Need Help

nadim_90210

Disciple
Hey guys,

I am planning to start a magazine in mumbai. I plan to distribute 10000 issues every month. The Problem lies in the printing segment. There are lots of printers available but what quote they offer me is very high. Per page they quoted 1 -1.25 rupees.

Now to my understanding these printers mid level printers who mostly print business cards/brochures/stationary etc. Thus they offered such a price.

If any of you guys know of any printing press that can get the job done like for around 0.50 paise, it will be wonderful.

Please let me know. Thanks

P.S: Free subscription for 3 months for all u guys if things work out right.

Look at the established magazines/books etc in the city..They generally have the name of the printers and the publishers..You can get some info from there..

What type of printing do you want done? Offset is the cheapest choice for bulk printing and its pretty cost effective. First, check the yellow pages for printers who do offset jobs.

Also keep in mind that glossy pages will be more expensive, have you figured in the paper cost?

Yep Printing costs also depends upon the type of Printing Required, Colors used, Paper quality etc. As per your info. that you plan to distribute 10000 issues every month. You can approach some reputed Publishing house and can ask them. I have no idea about Mumbai but Delhi has a huge market related to the same.

Well about the paper, i can say i plan to use a thick quality paper for inside & its going to be of various colour. I am trying to find out any printing press or publisher who print the magazine for lesser amount.

Everything for me depends on the printing cost.

As the magazine info is concerned, it is about Discounts & Offer's.

Few of the segments that the magazine will cover:

• Apparel

• Restaurants

• Electronics

• Consumer Durables

• Movie Tickets

• Accessories.

• Travel & Tourism

Pricing of the magazine: Will depend on the response. Initially the magazine will be distributed free for 3-6 months. Again depending upon the response, i plan to start the magazine in few other cities like Delhi, Banglore, Ahmedabad,etc.

Thick paper is usually meant for covers or at times special inserts in magazines. Thick paper would make the magazine bulky AND much more expensive to print. When you got the quotes, did they include paper charges? (I think not). Have you explained to the printer your exact requirement?

From what I have gleaned, you are unsure about how you want to proceed with the printing. I am not saying you require technical know-how, but you must have your basics clear.

If you can give us some technical details like

a) Size of the paper

b) Quality of the paper (there are various grades)

c) Quantity of pages per magazine

d) Folds (usually centrefold with staples for magazines). Binding/Gluing will be more expensive.

I am also not sure if you have the layouts ready. If you have given the design work to any firm, they will get back to you with layout/printing costs as well.

I suggest again, that you look at the yellow pages. If you need further help, I can get you quotes from local printers (But that isn't cost-effective, having printing done in another city).

I think most of the magazines which use good quality paper and colors have some people called advertisers to bear the cost, find them ;)

Back