List Of Recommended Direct Seller/Websites (Better than amazon/flipkart)

rockyo27

Adept
May 24, 2020
I purchased an used GPU from this guy Rohith (https://aprorigs.com/). Even though their website only lists pre-built PCs but on enquiring via call he does have new/old parts available in shop. The price was very competitive for the card which has around 1yr warranty remaining.
He volunteered to show card's benchmarks and game tests. The shipping was done on same day of payment via DTDC Air, so no issues in that, plus DOA assurance.
Which card was it and what price?

kalph09

Adept
Dec 10, 2020
Bangalore
For those who are into film photography. Check panachrome project.

Couple of alternatives

https://filmfotostore.com/ (this shop helps me with film development)

Reactions: rsaeon

Mr.J

Skilled
Oct 26, 2010
Mumbai

Photography store, they sell Peak Design products as well.

rsaeon

Patron
Jul 8, 2019
What if it doesn't pass?

Warranty claim or return for exchange with seller. I haven't needed to do that though with any of the external drives I purchased for internal use. The full test takes a long time and cannot be interrupted but it's generally accepted that if a drive passes, then it's likely to live a long life and die only of natural causes, if it's used/placed in a safe/static enviroment (nas/desktop).

I've had bare drives die when hand carried on a motorcycle from the store to home, so i've always preferred the external drive approach.

Last edited:
Reactions: nitin_g3

rsaeon

Patron
Jul 8, 2019
The reviews for detec.in or Detech Devices Private Limited are overwhelmingly negative: either on Facebook, or Google, or anywhere else. But I found that out after placing an order. So here's what I learned:

It would appear they're from "Old India" where you'd place an order and they would either send it out if it's in stock, or would spend weeks/months trying to procure it for you.

Other characteristics of such "Old India" sellers (my terminology) is that:

1. They will list out-of-stock items as available so their online inventory is not "live" or accurate
  2. They will contact you exactly once if there's an issue with availability
  3. They won't update or reply if they don't have positive news/updates
  4. The concept of a refund is based on myth and legend

And honestly, I understand, the excuses/reasons I've made up in my head as being acceptable for each of those points are:

1. Search engine ranking favours in-stock inventory and this seller does have high ranking. Also a live inventory is not easy to keep track of when you also have a physical store and different platforms for billing of either one
  2. Their order volume is pretty large and they appear to be understaffed — about 4000 to 5000 orders per month with a staff of maybe half a dozen people
  3. Customer service becomes a challenge and a strain on mental health when the customer initiates contact vs you reaching out to the customer
  4. BIlling/Cashflow/Taxation makes refunds complicated

Timeline:

I placed an order for a used item and paid in full through their payment processor, CCAvenue.

Three days later I missed a call from an unknown number, I tried calling back a few minutes later but there was no pickup.

Then I spent five weeks following up with twice-weekly messages on Whatsapp, or calls, or a mix of both. And even an email.

Then I saw that CCAvenue had terms stating they would initiate a refund for any product not received in 15 days, so I emailed them about detec.in being unresponsive. That was on a Sunday.

On Monday, i got a call from Detec with someone being very apologetic saying they were trying to procure the product this entire time and offered an alternative instead. They didn't actually apologize though. But what they offered, at no extra cost, was something that was priced higher, but also something I had no interest in.

I countered with another alternative, which they accepted and shipped out on Tuesday. My counter was ultimately something that was valued less than what I paid for, but what I really wanted vs something I could've resold (which is what they were offering).

What I would have done differently is very simple and what I normally do with every new seller but somehow forgot in this instance: Ask for product photos over Whatsapp before placing the order (that way I'd have confirmation that they have the item in stock)

I don't think many people would have the patience or understanding needed to deal with sellers like this so I'd say this seller is not recommended for most people.

Last edited: