Linux Linux internals / troubleshooting

Hey all...
This is a follow-up / parallel conversation to the Linux DVDs thread and my post on boot errors in it.

Can any of you suggest a book about troubleshooting Linux issues? Something that details how the OS works, what the boot sequence/process is, how to gather data, what to look for, where to look... (this is quite vague, I know.)

There's a RedHat course on something like this (RH142)

Thanks

There is this book called Ubuntu Kung Fu. I learned a lot while reading that. It is specifically for Ubuntu though.

But I think you are looking for something more professional. The above mentioned book is a fun read for Ubuntu and Linux newbiws who want to learn some basic stuff and a few tips and tricks.

testsubjectalpha said:
Hey all...
This is a follow-up / parallel conversation to the Linux DVDs thread and my post on boot errors in it.

Can any of you suggest a book about troubleshooting Linux issues? Something that details how the OS works, what the boot sequence/process is, how to gather data, what to look for, where to look... (this is quite vague, I know.)

There's a RedHat course on something like this (RH142)

Thanks

Get Linux kernel code.
Look under arch/x86/kernel/boot/* on how does boot process works.
First file to look for is entry.S. It is At&T assembly, so you might want to have an overview of AT&T asm syntax.

If you need theory, grab any decent OS book and you are done.

HTH

Back