Wolfbane

Disciple
Hi guys,
need to make a choice between 4 models
1. Netgear WGR614
2. Netgear WGT624
3. D-Link DI-524
4. Linksys WRT54GL

Can also consider a Linksys WRT160N but its a little above my budget.
My main usage would be to connect my desktop and laptop to the router.
Desktop as a download rig while laptop as surfing.

I connect thru a cable net system which is a dial-up based on dynamic IP generation. Cud this be an issue?

The reason i have to choose between these 4 is coz i got a gift certificate from india times which has more or less these models.

Your suggestions are welcome..thanks

Netgears one's are decent but dont have that good range + dont support modding with custom firmware . Better get the DLink/Linksys

Edrill said:
Get the Linksys WRT54GL and flash it with Tomato firmware.

+1 Go get it.

Dont worry about it being old, the G spec hasnt got no revisions since. Also the Tomato is a fairly potent fimmware to boot.

Its one solid fugly looking monster with a stumptuos 8MB of Flash.

^^ what added feature(s) this custom firmware offer ?? I mean how do we benefit by flashing the router with these custom firmware ?

If you think thats an older technology, go for Linksys WRT54G2. Again a G based router but a newer model if thats what you are looking out for.

Go for the Linksys. I have been using a WAG200G (similar specs as WRT54G) for over 2 years and its a sexy unit. Setup and running is a breeze.

Edrill said:
Get the Linksys WRT54GL and flash it with Tomato firmware.

raksrules said:
^^ what added feature(s) this custom firmware offer ?? I mean how do we benefit by flashing the router with these custom firmware ?
Can anyone provide a link? What does this do over and above the latest Linksys firmware?

Back