Lifehacker takes a look at CHDK

hatter

Skilled
If you're using a consumer grade point-and-shoot Canon digital camera, you've got hardware in hand that can support advanced features way beyond what shipped in the box. With the help of a free, open source project called CHDK, you can get features like RAW shooting mode, live RGB histograms, motion-detection, time-lapse, and even games on your existing camera. Let's transform your point-and-shoot into a super camera just by adding a little special sauce to its firmware.

For photography noobs (and I am not even that :ashamed: ) the article is quite informative... at least for me it is

Camera Hacks: Turn Your Point-and-Shoot into a Super-Camera

Im using the CHDK firmware on my recently purchased Powershot 720IS.

It's AWESOME!

It has a live histogram and RAW support that the stock firmware doesn't have.

I think ill write a guide to how to put CHDK on your camera soon.

err can someone tell me what exactly are RAW images ? i guess it is something without any post processing by the camera ?

are they different from normal jpeg files..i mean do they have a different extension as well ?

Basically its a direct data dump from the sensor without the jpeg compression effects associated with the RAW-JPEG conversion on the camera.

A RAW Image is not even an image file, its just a collection of 0101. The data is read by the RAW Converter and processed on the computer rather than camera which allows the photographer much greater control on how he wishes to develop the picture.

seems to be good. but if i am not mistaken this can be used only on cannon cameras, correct? this cannot be downloaded on a nikon or sony for enhancements.

rosa franklin said:
seems to be good. but if i am not mistaken this can be used only on cannon cameras, correct? this cannot be downloaded on a nikon or sony for enhancements.

yes seems so... on a side note I am planning to get a digi cam. In fact planning it for last one month :ashamed: But this time guys I am serious and the two that I have shortlisted are PowerShot 570IS and PowerShot 590IS.

Not much difference between them except Rs 600 in price, red-eye reduction on 590IS, only 1GB bundled on 590IS, 8MP on 590IS and 7.1MP on 570IS. Also 570IS is supported by CHDK but 590IS is not though it is probably because the 590IS is quite a new model and the CHDK support may come soon.

I am getting 570IS+2Gb card for Rs 8900 and 590IS+1GB card for Rs 9,600. Both will come with proper bills etc. Which one should I get?

IIRC every P&S from canon (especially the A series) has the red-eye problem (which can be corrected on-camera itself though)

Kumar said:
see this

Canon 570IS vs. 710IS - Digital Camera Forums and Discussion

EDIT 1: Bare in mind that the 720IS is more advanced than 710 (the most important difference being the DigicII on the 710 and DigicIII on the 720)

EDIT 2: Also, someone mentioned that his friend got the 720IS w/o bill for ~9k.

@kumar: thanks for the link.

Don't plan to go grey route. In any case, 570IS, 590IS and 720IS are not available at Gaffar Market in Delhi. "We only sell good brands like sony here" is what i was told when I scouted the market a couple of days ago :mad:

This is gonna be my first digi cam so not looking for a very powerful cam. Just want a good decent cam that should also allow me to experiment a little and enable me to take my first step into the arena of "prosumer" photography.

I set my eyes on 570IS :eek:hyeah:

Don't plan to go grey route. In any case, 570IS, 590IS and 720IS are not available at Gaffar Market in Delhi. "We only sell good brands like sony here" is what i was told when I scouted the market a couple of days ago

you kidding...right?

Coz the gray markets in chennai are typically swamped with Canon stuff with a dash of Sony and bits of Fuji/Panny thrown in

superczar said:
you kidding...right?
Coz the gray markets in chennai are typically swamped with Canon stuff with a dash of Sony and bits of Fuji/Panny thrown in

Nope, I am not kidding. These models are not available in Gaffar market... though if you know someone, they may arrange for it. But I ain't know anyone out there :(

Back