Which is the better budget laptop CPU

• AMD A8 6410

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • Intel Pentium Quad Core

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ch@ts

Skilled
The Diwali sales are here, and Amazon's having a special in a couple of days. So, I'm thinking about buying a low end laptop with 4GB RAM.
For about Rs.20,000 I can get something powered by
a Celeron Dual Core / Quad Core Pentium (n3530)
or an AMD A4 6210 / AMD A6 6310 / AMD A8 6410

There are no benchmarks, or reviews of any of the processors, and the only performance comparison I could do was on passmark.
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=2290&cmp[]=2278&cmp[]=2307

The comparison showed the AMD's to be slightly better than the Pentium Quad Core. That seems a little hard to believe! Is it true?

I couldn't find any other benchmarks or comparisons.
Which CPU's the better performer? And if you don't have personal experience with any of the CPU's in the list, could you help me out with links to benchmarks.
I've already seen the platform benchmarks of the AMD Mullins/Beema platform, and that's not very enlightening.

@aman.pitbull Thanks!!
The scores for all the processors aren't there, but on the face of it, it seems the A6 and A8's perform better or about the same as a similarly clocked Pentium Quad Core. That is really surprising.

The Intel Bay trail platform is supposed to replace the Intel atom series and the target customer for AMD-A8 and Pentium N3530 (low cost, low power, based portable computing Netbooks & Tablets) are very different.

If you want more performance, according to your requirements, you should definitely go for an AMD A8 based laptop. The GFX will be better too.

Thanks.
I can't wait to get my hands on it.
I was planning on using Linux on it, but it seems that this model has some driver issues with it's wi-fi card.

yes lenovo uses Broadcom Wifi cards, which are not good with Linux, i have a Lenovo laptop, can only use Windows 7 on it, no linux support,

Damn.
I received the laptop a short while back, and the sellers shipped the wrong one. It's an AMD A6 instead of an A8.
I called Snapdeal, and they were very professional, and said that they would take care of it.
But their delivery is really slow. It took 10 days for the laptop to get delivered, and now I've got to wait for a complaint resolution, then a reverse pick-up, and then wait on the delivery again.
Crap!

Damn.
I received the laptop a short while back, and the sellers shipped the wrong one. It's an AMD A6 instead of an A8.
I called Snapdeal, and they were very professional, and said that they would take care of it.
But their delivery is really slow. It took 10 days for the laptop to get delivered, and now I've got to wait for a complaint resolution, then a reverse pick-up, and then wait on the delivery again.
Crap!

The reason why I don't buy from Snapdeal at all.
What's the update?

There's a first time for everything. If I knew they were going to take so long to deliver I wouldn't have ordered from there either.
The laptops been picked up, but now I have to wait till it reaches the seller before they begin processing the replacement/refund.

Finally got the laptop yesterday. It's very slim, and elegant looking. But it feels kind of delicate.
Battery life seems decent, about 4 hours while continually downloading and installing software. It runs pretty cool, and has been pretty quiet so far.
Am happy with my purchase so far.

The CPU seems to be fast enough. The main bottleneck is the HDD, but once I install an SSD it should be pretty zippy. I installed Far Cry 2 and got an average of 40fps in medium-high settings with dx10 in the bench mark. With the highest settings I get 24fps.
I get 4+ hrs of battery life while just surfing the net and doing some word processing.

The screens glossy and the brightness needs to be turned up all the way while using it outdoors. But it's been usable so far, on moderately sunny days.

The only thing thats given me problems so far are my Linux installations. The wi-fi and switchable graphic drivers have to be installed separately in all the distros I've tried so far. But apparently Ubuntu works well, but I hate Ubuntu.

Back