Lappy in 30 - 40k range

teche

Adept
Im in the market for a good laptop. Have kept the budget between 30 - 40k & hovering on the following requirements:

- i3 or i5, 2nd or 3rd gen.
- 14 or 15' screen
- HDD 250 gb is enough
- Win OS
- Good Battery backup.

Brands - HP or Dell, Vaio too.

Please suggest me the best lappy...

Not too keen on Lenovo. Have used HP & Dell so far & its been a satisfactory experience. Can look towards Sony though.

Guys how's HP Envy range, any drawbacks?

What's the difference between i3 & i5 processors?

Which all quadcore laptops do we get?

Among the three brands you mentioned, lets have a look at pros and cons of the same as per my perspective.
a) Dell :- No doubt Dell is one of the most preferred brand when it comes to laptop. It stands a mile ahead of other brands in terms of quality, design. smooth running but there is one point which I don't like in Dell and that's the Sound quality. They have very low quality sound.
b) HP :- After Dell, HP is the most preferred brand by me and I think they are worth buying from every angle.
c) Vio :- i haven't experienced it till date so can't say on the same.

So as per me, the best part will be to go for Dell, If you can arrange an external sound system or else go for HP.
Toshiba are also known to be a good brand in laptop market.

Thanks for your helpful tips guys. Have been making rounds to the market checking out the models suggested. After seeing various laptops in flesh, I've kind off changed my requirements list. Now the basic requirements stand as:

i5 / 2nd-3rd gen/ Win 7/ 1gb dedicated graphics/ backlit keyboard/ good looks-light weight-slim.

Graphics can be 2 gb too & can compromise on looks-slim too.

Main standoff I guess is between HP & Sony.

Oopps forgotten to update budget, its now increased by 55k.

So which models from HP, Sony, Dell have backliot keyboards?

Another feature like fast startup is welcome.

- - - Updated - - -

Shortlisted some models:

SONY
SVT 11113FG
SVE 14113EN
SVS 13112EN
SVE 15116EN
SVE 14A115

DELL
INSPIRON 5520

HP
G6 2014TX
G6 2016TX
ENVY4 1046TX
ENVY4 1002TX
DV4 5008TX
DV4 5109TX
DV6 7012TX

Now suggest me the best...

Im making an addition, evaluating Macbooks too. Sincerely I don't know much about Macbooks(Pro-Air), would be great if someone could explain models & features...

@tech_bot, model no?

Last edited by a moderator:
@JuGGa, did you know of the Sony model previously or saw it from my choice stated above?
Dell - FHD??

@ivhere, 11" would be a shade smaller, could do with 13.3".

@tech_bot, checked it out, it shows backlighting on top row keys only. Atleast that's what I could gather from the small pics. If you've seen it in flesh, shed more light on this...

Is the same feature there on 14" model too?

Guys tell about Apple Macbooks too, I know almost nothing but could stretch for them if they are worth...

I guess OP wants to buy a "laptop", not a "chotu netbook" :bleh:

Still, its one of the rare models having backlit <50k.

- - - Updated - - -

@JuGGa, did you know of the Sony model previously or saw it from my choice stated above?
Dell - FHD??
@tech_bot, checked it out, it shows backlighting on top row keys only. Atleast that's what I could gather from the small pics. If you've seen it in flesh, shed more light on this...

Is the same feature there on 14" model too?

Guys tell about Apple Macbooks too, I know almost nothing but could stretch for them if they are worth...

I already knew it but why does it matters ?

FHD = Full HD = 1080p = 1920*1080 resolution

Backlit covers full keyboard, not just arrow keys.

MacBooks are good if you're ready to befriend Mac OS. Latest Mac Book Pro would cost around ~61k after student discount.

@JuGGa, so the 15R special is not FHD?

Ok so if its full keyboard lighting, I like this one.

Yes I could be friends with Mac OS, please tell me more about Pro & Air, etc. noobie sorry!

How much is the student discount? I could stretch if I like it...

@JuGGa, so the 15R special is not FHD?

Check the Dell site for latest options available in upgradation.

Yes I could be friends with Mac OS, please tell me more about Pro & Air, etc. noobie sorry! How much is the student discount? I could stretch if I like it..

Sorry since I haven't got hands on experience with any Mac but @red dragon may help you. No sure stats about student discount, but it is there.

You can go for SVE14A15FN : E Series : VAIOâ„¢ Laptop & Computer : Sony India, i have used it for some time as my friend bought it few days back, the laptop looks nice( also comes with free matching colour keyboard skin and bluetooth laser mouse), the screen is good and even the performance is good, you can get 3-5 per cent discount on MRP, also get the 3 yrs warranty for just 2.5k

I already suggested the same ;)

Back