Ladakh Trip - Only J&K purchased connection permitted?

A friend of mine is traveling to Ladakh and is planning to buy an MTNL connection since she was told that BSNL has the best coverage there. But another friend from army who was once posted in Ladakh told that only SIM cards/connections purchased locally in J&K are permitted to be used in Ladakh.

Is it correct? Won't a SIM card purchased and activated in Delhi work in Ladakh? Or worse still, confiscated or something by the army?

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

bump...plz its urgent...anyone :huh:

There is no such issue.... No one will check the sim card.... rather than worries of simcard being confiscated... bigger issue is of cell phone range...
I was in ladakh last year and vodafone was having really poor connectivity....

The only thing that you need is a postpaid connection. Prepaid connection wont work in J&K or the North Eastern states.

So just make sure to take a postpaid connection along with you.

hotshot05 said:
The only thing that you need is a postpaid connection. Prepaid connection wont work in J&K or the North Eastern states.

So just make sure to take a postpaid connection along with you.
+1... only postpaid works there... I'd got airtel when i went for my trip to ladakh last year... worked pretty well everywhere throughput my journey, except for my home in mumbai :p

Due to security reasons Only Postpaid connections are permitted in J&K.
Any postpaid connection, bought from any part of India is allowed there, albeit Airtel and BSNL have better network coverage, even in case of Laddakh.
- peace

Take mtnl postpaid works awesome

No prepaid will work except from J and k

Dont buy there will waste lot of time in paperwork

and sim might get deactivated without reason if problem in documentation is there

Take post paid airtel and bsnl works fine

OP who told you army confiscates sim

just want to know for curiosity

Only BSNL/MTNL Post Paid Connections are allow there!!

Prepaid accounts of any other service provider will not work at all.

Leh has complete coverage of Mobile Services.. I am using Airtel, It works well over there....

But if you are planning to go to Pangon Lake, Nubra Valley or Khardun - La etc there will be no network coverage there.... ofcourse I went there 2 year ago... before 3 Idiots came up..... after which everyone wants to go there...

If he wants to have fun ask him to Ride a Bike there like I did... it will be worth the effort and will be a life time of adventure :)

Just back from a trip to Leh. I have a idea post-paid connection and was able to use my phone there. Both Idea and Vodafone have tie-up with Aircel and that is the network I was on during my entire stay there! But as hmasalia mentioned, there was no connectivity at ChyangLa Pass and Pangong Lake!

only post paid connections will work, I was on airtel roaming last year and it worked for me pretty well almost everywhere except in the mountains. bsnl has better coverage in remote mountains like north pullu etc...

as others said, chang la, khardung la, pangong and nubra etc...; nothing works. so tell family that they wont get call for 3-4 days.

Back