Is this a fake ram

Hi,

Built a normal usage pc, only used for browsing/ms office and nothing else, in lockdown. Ordered a red vengeance 8gb ram from md computers. Felt the pc becoming slow when multiple tabs are opened. So tried to check the mhz of the ram before reordering a new one of the same speed and all I am getting is this

On the invoice no serial number of the ram is mentioned. Even if I contact them now there's no way to tell that this ram was purchased from them. The ram has a serial number sticker and "looks" authentic. What should be done here? My city does not have a kaizen service center, if this is sent to them via post then will they return it if its not genuine?

@NikhilSingh25 @kvn95ss
Give me time will share photos of ram.
Processor is ryzen 1600 and mobo is asus b350prime. From where to check the speed and how to change it if possible?
Why isn't it displaying any serial number or the name of the manufacturer? The same model is displaying the same for others who have posted about this online.

Hi,

Built a normal usage pc, only used for browsing/ms office and nothing else, in lockdown. Ordered a red vengeance 8gb ram from md computers. Felt the pc becoming slow when multiple tabs are opened. So tried to check the mhz of the ram before reordering a new one of the same speed and all I am getting is this

On the invoice no serial number of the ram is mentioned. Even if I contact them now there's no way to tell that this ram was purchased from them. The ram has a serial number sticker and "looks" authentic. What should be done here? My city does not have a kaizen service center, if this is sent to them via post then will they return it if its not genuine?
a. 8gb on windows is rather low (!!) these days, the OS itself uses a fair bit of memory (worse on w11). You're using more than 70% memory, likely already using pagefile (or swap, or storage as memory)
b. 1200MHz is normal, DDR is double data rate, what manufactures claim as X MHz, is typically X MT/s (mega transfers per second), and X/2 MHz. I've seen windows task manager report both X and X/2, claiming MHz, probably due to incorrect SPD information on the RAM.

Your RAM is running at the correct speeds, 2400MT/s or 1200MHz, and no, it's not slower than DDR3, as the same applies for DDR3 and DDR5 (and any DDR).

Check if your bios lists an XMP with higher speeds, but 1st gen ryzen CPUs and mobos were notorious for bad ram compatibility, and would take a lot of effort to stabilize at even 3000MT/s.

@NikhilSingh25 @kvn95ss
Give me time will share photos of ram.
Processor is ryzen 1600 and mobo is asus b350prime. From where to check the speed and how to change it if possible?
Why isn't it displaying any serial number or the name of the manufacturer? The same model is displaying the same for others who have posted about this online.
go into bios by pressing delete on startup , and then you can look for either XMP profile/ AMD EXPO or ram overclocking/ ram frequency/ ram speed.

I guess you tried to overclock the RAM, and that didn't work out, so it might have defaulted to 1200MHz. @ze_cook might be right, but the RAM should be overclockable, at least by little. Try 2133MHz.

After saving these settings the pc took about a minute to start. Is this ok?
Yes, it "trained" the memory, or rather, calculated appropriate timings that are not part of the profile.

The task manager still says speed as 1200mhz. Why is that so?
Because that's what a "2400" ram runs at, 2400 mt/s = 1200 mhz, blame the manufacturers/software for the discrepancy, but it is indeed running at 2400 mt/s.
Here's an article that explains in detail https://www.cgdirector.com/mts-vs-mhz/
I guess you tried to overclock the RAM, and that didn't work out, so it might have defaulted to 1200MHz. @ze_cook might be right, but the RAM should be overclockable, at least by little. Try 2133MHz.
2133MHz, the actual MHz, is DDR4-4266, unachievable by OP's platform. DDR4-2133 (what you probably meant) is slower than what OP's system is running at (DDR4-2400).

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20240502_175534_Firefox.png
    SmartSelect_20240502_175534_Firefox.png
    205.1 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
I used to have a Ryzen 1700 on a ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero x370 board.

Even with GSkill FlareX 3200 MHz CL14 RAM it was a PITA to get it to run at rated speeds on the 1st gen Ryzen mobos with DOCP.

I am guessing OP is facing similar kind of issue where the RAM defaulted to its base speed.

I would suggest looking up the RAM model on the manufacturer website and set the frequency and timings as per the manufacturer specs.

e.g. say the RAM spec says as follows-

1714653436298.png

You will have to set the following as per your screenshot
Memory Frequency- 3200 MHz
DRAM Voltage 1.35

The SPD latency spec of 15-15-15-36 will need to be set as follow-
DRAM CAS# Latency-15
Trcdrd-15
Trcdwr-15
RA Pre time-15
RAS Act Time- 36

You will have to tweak the timings and especially DRAM voltage a bit based on system stability as the PC might not boot and you will need to do a BIOS reset in that case. :p

Judging by your posts I am guessing you are new to this and if you are not gaming/doing intensive tasks where you need to squeeze max performance out of the system then leave it be.

I never did that my friend.
Try 2133MHz.
Please eli5 this
what is the actual speed of your ram 2133mhz or 2400mhz check on the sticker.
And what version of bios do you have for mobo?
Bhai as per the ss from from dos commands
its CMK8GX4M1A2400C16
How to check the bios version?
Yes, it "trained" the memory, or rather, calculated appropriate timings that are not part of the profile.

Because that's what a "2400" ram runs at, 2400 mt/s = 1200 mhz, blame the manufacturers/software for the discrepancy, but it is indeed running at 2400 mt/s.
Here's an article that explains in detail https://www.cgdirector.com/mts-vs-mhz/

2133MHz, the actual MHz, is DDR4-4266, unachievable by OP's platform. DDR4-2133 (what you probably meant) is slower than what OP's system is running at (DDR4-2400).

Bro can you please explain the last line like eli5? And check this dos screenshot, only the part number says that its from crosair but there's no serial number

Even with GSkill FlareX 3200 MHz CL14 RAM it was a PITA to get it to run at rated speeds on the 1st gen Ryzen mobos with DOCP.

I am guessing OP is facing similar kind of issue where the RAM defaulted to its base speed.

I would suggest looking up the RAM model on the manufacturer website and set the frequency and timings as per the manufacturer specs.

e.g. say the RAM spec says as follows-

View attachment 195932

You will have to set the following as per your screenshot
Memory Frequency- 3200 MHz
DRAM Voltage 1.35

The SPD latency spec of 15-15-15-36 will need to be set as follow-
DRAM CAS# Latency-15
Trcdrd-15
Trcdwr-15
RA Pre time-15
RAS Act Time- 36

You will have to tweak the timings and especially DRAM voltage a bit based on system stability as the PC might not boot and you will need to do a BIOS reset in that case. :p

Judging by your posts I am guessing you are new to this and if you are not gaming/doing intensive tasks where you need to squeeze max performance out of the system then leave it be.
What's PITA?
In layman language, why has the RAM defaulted to it's base speed?

I changed the DOCP settings in bios as mentioned by members here
Before

After

But I am not seeing any increase in speed or something. Why is that so?

And most importantly, check this dos screenshot, only the part number says that its from crosair but there's no serial number Also check other screenshots in the main post. Is this a fake ram as Crucial and serial number isn't mentioned anywhere?

Last edited:
First things first, ram is always sold in terms of MT/s which is again typically converted to MHz which is actually twice the real frequency of the ram so 3200 ram is actually 3200MT/s which is actually 1600MHz ram.

Now the next most important thing, corsair vengeance ram is one of the most notorious ram to achieve any speed over the base frequency (the lowest/safest ram frequency which the ram guarantees to support & which is set as its default). You must be very lucky to achieve more than 2400MT/s (which is 1200MHz) on a typical 3200 MT/s vengeance ram (which is actually 1600MHz) when using old ryzen processor & mobo.

My ryzen 1200 pc on B350 mobo running gskill ripjaws V 3200 ram at exactly 3200 MT/s aka 1600MHz.

Ram is not sold anywhere in India with serial no. mentioned on invoice as far as I know.

Try checking with HWInfo. Upon launching, the very top window should tell you what speed the RAM is running at. For example in my case:

HWinfo.jpg

You can see that Clock speed is shown at 1800Mhz which means my RAM is running at 3600MT/s.

So if your ram is running at 2400MT/s then the clock speed section will show 1200Mhz.

Some more info on the whole MT/s and Mhz debacle:

Back