Storage Solutions Is my HDD alright?

nish_pinto

Voyager.Fpv
Adept
I did a HD Tune test on my samsung 160gb HDD. I got the following results. I just don't know what that problem means.

08-August-2011_18-33.png

P.S- I tried the other SATA cables, showing the same error again.

There's no need to worry about it, it is just that there had been CRC errors in the past... it may occur due to sudden shutdown of pc & many other factors..

Just keep a check whether is it increasing in the future... if so then either try different sata ports / cables.

If it fails too then its time for RMA.

You may try shifting to new sata data cable and re-run the test and check; though you need not worry about it afa there's isnt any r/w errors.

Actually this is my friend's HDD. He keeps getting BSOD quite frequently, his local technician said that his HDD is nearing its end. So, I thought I'll check it myself and found this error.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Tried a new SATA cable, still the same thing.

There's nothing to worry if that's the only error you're getting. It's usually due to faulty SATA cables or some errors during transferring. I don't think the value gets reset if you use a new cable. It's a count for the previous errors.

As for the BSODs, check if it's something he installed recently, any software or drivers. Run a memtest to check the RAM too.

nish_pinto said:

The CRC value will not reset even if you change the cable... Just make sure its not increasing after changing cable/port. If its stuck @ current value then you are good. If its start increasing again then its a problem.. Also check the Reallocated Sector Count. It should be withing range...

nish_pinto said:
Actually this is my friend's HDD. He keeps getting BSOD quite frequently, his local technician said that his HDD is nearing its end. So, I thought I'll check it myself and found this error.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Well this is confusing. Once you tried another cable are you still getting that "communication error" warning or not? If you are then try pluging it into another SATA port on the mobo.

The smart value are not really important. What you should be testing for is bad blocks or bad sectors. If you find those then the hard disk merits replacement. The way to test for bad sectors is to run chkdsk /r c:\ or whatever the drive letter is. You may have to reboot after you do that. Then look in the control panel> admin tools> event viewer for an entry by "win logon" for the results of the scan. Obviously only do this after the communication error business is sorted out by switch SATA ports.

Back