Storage Solutions Is IDE faster than SATA ?

MBKAHBR

Disciple
Hi friends,
I am surprised to see that when i enable sata mode in BIOS setup the HDD write speed is hardly 200-250 MB Per min while restoring PC from GHOST image, but i disable SATA the speed is 700-900 MB per min. Does any1 have this experience?? Same i have observed in DVD /RW, Moserbaer IDE is much faster while burning than Samsung SATA DVD writer.
Is there any settings suggested which can give me performance with sata mode enabled.

Hi friends,
I am surprised to see that when i enable sata mode in BIOS setup the HDD write speed is hardly 200-250 MB Per min while restoring PC from GHOST image, but i disable SATA the speed is 700-900 MB per min. Does any1 have this experience?? Same i have observed in DVD /RW Moserbaer, IDE is much faster while burning thab Samsung SATA DVD writer.
Is there any settings suggested which can give me performance with sata mode enabled.

When on sata mode, you cannot enable IDE mode as both use different type of connectors for data and power.

Do you have more than 1 HDD?

You must have switched to RAID mode

That seems to be the only case.

Simple answer to your question. NO
IDE is much much slower than SATA. If you want to the exact speed limitations, i suggest you wiki them.

H@cKer said:
IDE
Bandwidth 16 MB/s originally
later 33, 66, 100 and 133 MB/s

SATA
Bandwidth 1.5 Gbit/s, 3.0 Gbit/s, 6.0 Gbit/s

I hope u got ur answer

Umm you should use the same units when comparing, so divided by 8 we get

SATA
Bandwidth 187 MB/s, 375 MB/s, 750MB/s

Note that with SATA 1 u would normally see little under 150MB/s so comapred with IDE UDMA-6 or 133MB/s the difference would be only slightly noticeable.

SATA-2 of 300MB/s is not as fast as one would expect in real life. I seem to recall there were HDTune screen grabs posted here some time back. Sustained speeds is what we want rather than burst.

So the answer to whether SATA is faster than IDE, yes but only by a little.

IDE-6 still kicks external drives via USB-2 (400Mb/s or 50MB/s) and even firewire (800Mb/s or 100MB/s) for transfer speed.

eSATA for external drives on the other hand will be better.

about the high speed on norton ghost...

this mayb because the drive image ghosting softwares create are compressed...(more that 50% compression for most of the OS drives)

he might be reffering to the speed of data being restored rather than speed of data being transferred from dvd to hdd.

as for the topic.

speed are ide<sata<sata2

ultimabasher said:
When on sata mode, you cannot enable IDE mode as both use different type of connectors for data and power.

Do you have more than 1 HDD?

You must have switched to RAID mode

That seems to be the only case.

yes i have 2 HDDs on my system

No. i haven't switched to RAID

I cann't install WinXP from installation CD with sata mode enabled as setup doesn't find any HDD unless i use slipstreamed XP cd with added sata drivers

MBKAHBR said:
yes i have 2 HDDs on my system

No. i haven't switched to RAID

I cann't install WinXP from installation CD with sata mode enabled as setup doesn't find any HDD unless i use slipstreamed XP cd with added sata drivers

Why dont you offer it the drivers during setup via Floppy disk (which i doubt you would be having ;)) or a pen drive. Not sure if the pen drive method would work, have not installed XP in such a long time now .

NAMASTE G

This is due to the reason that ghost uses HDD much more efficently in IDE mode rather than Accessing it in SATA ( AHCI ) mode ....... AHCI support is not in DOS , nor officially by XP

but with Windows v6 its support is there , the Sata ( AHCI ) operational mode just lets u to use the SATA features such as NCQ , hot swapping ( ma favourite )

There is a considerable performance that one cud see when using Windows v6 , hdd operations r far more smoother ( i had seen considerable performance in VMware Workstation )

But still AHCI compatability is Less

if u wanna Switch to AHCI , nd want some cloning softs , go with Acronis..... (u got me) ... i think it supports the AHCI Sata operational mode ( no performance loss i had seen )

or otherwise , just enable the IDE mode when cloning and when completed switch back to SATA mode ( AHCI )

myself now using RAID mode ... ahci at secondary system

Even i heard it first time that sata uses less cpu then ide :-/ .. Unless you are running ide in pio mode, both should use almost same amount of processing with dma .

Back