Is Apple iPod Touch worth a buy ?

If you want the best touch screen experience on a PMP go with Ipod Touch and personally I like it. Else Cowon D2 is other strong contender. Both produce good quality sound. But Cowon I think is compatible with more audio/video formats.

I have an iPod Touch and loving it. If you want super smooth touch UI (best out there) and excellent WiFi plus browser capability then go for it. The disadvantage as noted above is Apple's restrictions with their iTunes and playback formats requiring me to convert lots of videos before playing. Of course you can try "jailbreak" to make it a bit easier.

If actual media playing is more important to you than smooth UI/browsing then check out alternatives like Cowon S9 or D2.

Amaresh said:
Not sure about the brand he was referring to, but you can a lot of options at MP4 Nation Online MP4 Player Store

Yes i am referring to MP4nation. The reliability of this site is quite good. Some have delayed shipments just like in my case. There are many ingenic cc1600 chips 1.6 ghz capable of playing 720p movies in tv out mode. screen resolution is 800x480. You can have a look of my 16 gig player here.

http://www.techenclave.com/show-off/video-on-the-go-teaser-127751.html

If you want a player just for audio and video then get the D2 or the likes, but if you want something which you could game on plus have a lot of other productive apps then nothing beats the touch.

Which seems to be a better alternative out of PSP and Ipod Touch 2G ?

- Pricewise
- Gameplaywise
- Music/Videowise
- Applications wise (Not the basic apps like Calendar and Notes etc)

Also i suppose Gameplay might be suffering in case of Itouch as its a touch screen ?

And is it true that there is hight chance that Games for Ipod Touch 3G will not work with Ipod Touch 2G as in there are expected to be compatibility issues and one is suppose to pay for upgrade ?

Apple gadgets are never hasslefree :S

Also a stupid doubt.. current prices of Itouch are ~11.5k whereas for Iphone 3GS its 31k.. Why such a huge difference when Itouch + Phone features + GPS == Iphone ??

log 1 = 0 said:
Which seems to be a better alternative out of PSP and Ipod Touch 2G ?
IMO it has to be the iTouch

- Pricewise : iTouch
- Gameplaywise : PSP
- Music/Videowise : iTouch
- Applications wise (Not the basic apps like Calendar and Notes etc) : iTouch all the way

log 1 = 0 said:
Also i suppose Gameplay might be suffering in case of Itouch as its a touch screen ?
Yeah the on screen controls do take some time to get used to, the physical buttons on the PSP will always be better.

log 1 = 0 said:
And is it true that there is hight chance that Games for Ipod Touch 3G will not work with Ipod Touch 2G as in there are expected to be compatibility issues and one is suppose to pay for upgrade ?
They will be compatable atleast for the next 8-12 months afaik.

The update can be installed for free if you know how to.

log 1 = 0 said:
Also a stupid doubt.. current prices of Itouch are ~11.5k whereas for Iphone 3GS its 31k.. Why such a huge difference when Itouch + Phone features + GPS == Iphone ??
You forgot the cam, but seriously even I don't know.

Are MP4 nation products (especially the little known brand PMPs) shipped from China ?

Because in that case i can expect less lead time for delivery

An iPod Touch is more of a PDA than a PMP. Its strength is in running apps. The Audio and Video quality is mediocre from what I have seen of of it. If you want an all-in-one device which can be used for web browsing and running apps/games with passable audio/video quality then iPod Touch sure is your choice. However if your emphasis is on video and audio, iPod Touch is not a good choice. Its a lousy video player with the non-standard screen resolution which results in loss of screen area while playing wide screen content and added to that, the screen itself is a meager 3.5" which may be too big on a phone, but too small for a PMP tailored for video.

If your emphasis is mainly on audio playback and you want a compact player, then COWON D2 should be your choice.

If you want a PMP that's to be used mainly for video, then don't consider any device with anything less than a 4" screen. COWON O2, Archos 5 are good choices here. If you are Ok with it, then even brands like nationite offer good video capabilities at a bargain price. Proper video oriented PMP's mentioned here also allow you to just dump your dvd rips on the player and play them without having have to specially transcode them for the player.

If you want a device which is good for video and games and does not cost too much, then PSP is your choice. It has a decent 4.3" 16:9 display for video playback and games, but do note that its a lousy audio player.

Probably ipod touch is not for me, audio quality is important but one thing for sure is that at 11-13k that will be too much for the touch. I better search the local chinese market for MP4 player for less than 4k

If u are looking for quality then there is no fruit sweeter than 'APPLE'.The i touch doesn't have a radio, right.It doesn't have many other things but thats the idea.it isn't a jack of all and master of none instead it makes u fall in love with it while operating cos what it can do.......... it does it really well.in my view go for it.u may not like it at the time of purchase but u will gradually fall in live with it.that what it gets out of u.TRUE LOVE.:)

today i downloaded the guided tour of touch which was really cool.

But i have many things to buy and probably i would push this purchase (touch i mean) as of now.

@raks :- I hope I am not hijacking your thread..

In follow up to my thread on last page, My preference is Gaming > Video > Variety of Apps > Audio..

So going by the discussion, I assume PSP is the better option for me ? Or are there any better alternative..

There were lots of favourable comments for Cowon D2. I don't think its for Games, is it ?

No probs buddy....you may ask your question. Mine is almost over now... Guys help log 1 = 0 with his issues

BTW u have written "Variety of apps" and i suppose here is where touch takes the cake, i mean with a jail broken itouch you can install ALL the apps for hmmm...free.

log 1 = 0 said:
@raks :- I hope I am not hijacking your thread..

In follow up to my thread on last page, My preference is Gaming > Video > Variety of Apps > Audio..

So going by the discussion, I assume PSP is the better option for me ? Or are there any better alternative..

There were lots of favourable comments for Cowon D2. I don't think its for Games, is it ?

COWON D2 is best player for audio with its audio quality and battery life. The battery life is an astounding 52 hours for audio. It does not do games nor is it good for video with its small screen. This is the reason why I gifted my sister the COWON D2 while I got myself a PSP. My sister's needs were purely audio oriented while mine were Video and games.

HECTOR said:
If u are looking for quality then there is no fruit sweeter than 'APPLE'.The i touch doesn't have a radio, right.It doesn't have many other things but thats the idea.it isn't a jack of all and master of none instead it makes u fall in love with it while operating cos what it can do.......... it does it really well.in my view go for it.u may not like it at the time of purchase but u will gradually fall in live with it.that what it gets out of u.TRUE LOVE.:)

I disagree... Touch is marketed as a PMP, but neither its audio or video capabilities are impressive. It has a responsive touch screen, can run apps and games and good for browsing. Those are its strengths, not audio and video playback. It may be great at some things, but its not great at what a PMP is intended for.

I come here with a heavy heart, Dude! the iPod Touch will be the bestest thing in your life but keep more than an good eye on her, for if she decides to break off you'd be found in the nearest depression ward. :(

Jokes apart this thing rocked my life while it lasted. I never JB'd my touch but had awesome fun via the App store. Tried a helluva lot of free app's and had oodles of fun. Never really got to JB mine actually, in fact I had decided to JB it the day It got stolen.

Audio was quite satisfactory for me, not much of an audiophile so it rocked my socks. Some quality headphones will surely help you out though.

I am sure you will have tons of fun, go get one now. :)

Back