Is Amity gud for B.F.A (Animation)

kingkaran

Disciple
hi guys ,

I m thinking of taking admission in amity school of fine arts .... first of all i fine arts is the only carrier wat i think will suit me as i m gud at Drawing n sketching ... I m also applying for College of arts in which according to few friends n teacher getting admission is almost impossible wid my 12th standard marks (53% :( ) n the have 60%(aptitute test) + 40%(12th marks) wich i knw r nt gud frm any angle i don,t know how academic qualifications r given that much weightage in such creative field :mad: ... so option r very little in delhi only college of arts is the one goverment college in delhi to provide B.F.A in visual communication/Animation .... plz tell me if amity is gud for it or not ( as i had given entrance n they picked me in non-sponsred category/cheaper one :) ) as its matter of most important 4 years of my life ......:(

A few people I know are doing Animation courses from Amity, they seem to be pretty satisfied but I have no idea how your career will shape up, they are forum members too, will ask them to check out the thread....

education for animation in canada is too costly. i was planning to go but the expenses were too much.me too searching for other options.btw i want to do in game design and not film.

^ game designs sounds interesting ......plz do tell me if u reach any conclusion...:)

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

thebanik said:
A few people I know are doing Animation courses from Amity, they seem to be pretty satisfied but I have no idea how your career will shape up, they are forum members too, will ask them to check out the thread....
Thnx sir .... that would be gr8 help..

btw i hav a cousin in canada .... is it benificial in anyway for my course ?

Im doing the same course....

First thing you need to know is that... BFA pertains to Basic training in the filed of Fine Arts , so dont expect any sort of advanced curriculum...of the likes of the diplomas offered by MAC/Area/Picasso etc etc....

Now the advantage here at amity is that... you get a proper 4 Year Degree which is very useful if you plan to go for a PG in the same field abroad (MFA and the likes)

and the department is improving day by day... My 3rd Year will be starting from Monday... and when i look at the works of the immediate junior batch, i seriously feel that the teachers have stepped up their game. Specially compared to what and how we were taught. Those people are doing 5 times more work than we did!

If you want more info let me know. I can answer your queries over the phone.... (PM me for Z no.)

As for DCA , the Animation course there was recently started, so the faculty feedback is pretty shady. Only thing useful is the Degree! (DU ftw~)

at OP, from where you've passed you schooling!? What was the school's name?
Do you have some of your friends also, who are taking admission there?

Ankur said:
at OP, from where you've passed you schooling!? What was the school's name?
Do you have some of your friends also, who are taking admission there?
I hav done my 10+2 from guru harikrishan public school(nanak piao) ..a part frm that i,ve also done a short term course from arena animation (6 months) from whr few frnds of mine r working at gud companies n r much of pro they suggested me to do fine arts ...

@ vikid .... Thnx alot sir...i got my breath back with ur comment co i was,nt able to see much of da options execpt amity in private college n last date to pay at amity is 12-july plz pm me ur phone no. so that i can u few questions ........

2 of my friends have enrolled for admission for the same course (BFA Animation), and another for BFA IT. Today it was the day for fees and registration I think.

@Ambar, the info you gave is useful. :)
Will ask my friends to get to you when they get there.

@kingkaran...being a 3d animator myself i can advise u to first do a BFA frm a GOOD institute ..and plz don fall into traps of institutes like MAAC, Arena and others :eek:hyeah:

if u really serious abt doing animation then do it frm outside in institutes like,

Academy of Art University: The Art School of Art Schools.

GOBELINS - Galerie - Cinéma d'animation

CalArts | California Institute of the Arts

in india then Welcome to National Institute of Design, India is ur place man, but its a little hard to get admission here :)

Animation is a art so learn the art first, then u wont have any prob in learning industry software tools if plan to get into 3d:)

best of luck and if u have any further questions then don hesitate to ask :D

@ Kingkaran YGPM :)

@Ankur

...sure bro! Would love to meet the new guys.... the last batch was pretty nerdy...freaking working all the time!! :E

Though ya first year is like that only....

Very seriously i think it is better to grab a BFA before going in for the B.Sc's and diplomas....

Very few instituted offer BFA degrees in India...

NID/DCA etc etc.... but they are freaking difficult to get into... (Heard NID is turning into the IIT for arts, plus their examinations are outrageous , having physics/chemistry and maths exams for an Arts course? Seriously? )

Hi,

I met a professor who taught at Amity. I'm not sure whether its 100% correct, but he said the owner only focuses quality on 1 course in engineering (some particular branch), rest all is just for collecting money.

Engineering is the worst course @ Amity.... PERIOD!

Amity is pretty well known ofr its Business School ... one of the top 5 in India (not sure if its private only)

And im here since the past 2 years... before i joined this place was so reluctant about the whole amity stuff....but the way ASFA has changed in the past 1 year...its actually pretty darn good!

Plus with a degree like BFA...you really dont have too many choices in India...

thank you guys ..2day i sat for apptitute test at dca ..... i had a word with helpline executive of amity they told me that if i submit fee (12july is last date for that) now i can back out later (as per ugc rules wid fine of Rs1000) n will get money back in late september... so wat i m thinking is y not pay for amity now if dca result came positive (which is very hard to come) i can still back out frm amity :) ?

@ vikid ... thnx sir .. 85% priority for amity now :)

@tiwari .... i found out nid is dam hard to get in n thr entrance is already happened & its out of budget to study in aboard ..:(

@kingKaran...i wont recommend Amity if u r serious abt animation :)

anyway, best of luck and please do a little more research and find a good Art college :)

Bro do keep holding on to DCA ....if someone you can pull through it'll be awesome!

But if you do get into DCA ....

EDIT : Can you please confirm if they really have a BFA (Animation) Course? Because i recently heard that they only have MFA (for Animation)

Animation education in india is by far not that matured, they can only teach you the basics.. ive been learning since 2004.. been to 3 institutions and i have a Bsc in animation as well. All im gonna tell you is, wherever you go its the same. if you are looking for Quality in education you should head outside the country. If canada is too expensive then head to singapore. But your teaching quality will suffer a bit. Understand that the exposure you get makes a lot of difference, to your skills and to your career. At the end of the day it all boils down to how hard you work and understand it.

If you are willing to risk it then head to these places:

1) Academy of art University - USA

2) Gobelins

3) Supinfocom - France

4) Vancouver Film School - Canada

5) CalArts - USA

6) Sheridan - Canada

7) Ringling School of Art. - USA

I'm heading to VFS next year. So make an informed decision if you are serious about your animation career.

If you require more info - you can contact me via Yahoo or Msn. Both the links are provided on my profile. Cheers!

@vikid waiting for dca,s entrance results... they hav bfa/mfa(visual communication)course

@SoMxNemesis vfs is so expensive can,t go over 10 lacs for now ... n vfs guys was offering 20 lacs per year course :no:

Back