Laptops Is a backlit keyboard worth the extra money?

vrd

Adept
what do you guys think? I am thinking of getting a dell studio 15 (open to other suggestions in the same config and price range) and it has a option for upgrading to a back lit keyboard for an extra 1k, i think.

the arguments i have heard so far from couple of my friends are: when in dark environments, the light coming from the screen is enough for seeing the keys while one of my other friends is saying that i will have to tilt the screen a little bit for the light to properly fall on the keyboard which will be very uncomfortable.

to those of you who have used both types of keyboards, what do you suggest?

I haven't used a back lit keyboard but if its just 1k, i'd go for it :), can you adjust the light intensity ? Might be annoying if you watch movies in the laptop.

If your majority usage is during the night time or in the dark then the extra 1k is worth it.:)

The light coming from the screen is never adequate in lighting up the complete keyboard..atleast not in case of my desktop. especially when you turn down your brightness :p.

I would say get the back lit keyboard,you wont regret spending that extra 1k.

For 1k extra... I would say go for it... you'd be thanking yourself later for those late night browsing/working sessions. :)

yes the intensity is adjustable and will be using it during day time as well as night time.

one more thing i would like to know is that: does the back lit keyboard consume extensive amounts of battery when kept on?

Studio 15 user here and the back lit KB is defo recommended, the screen light will never be adequate since usually the screen is rather dimmed so that we save battery.This KB has 2 options 1 is dimmed and 2nd option is brighter.

Yes it will definitely use the battery but you can have it turned off when not needed.

I say no, never work in an underlit environment.

I can tell you the only time i would want a backit kybs is when the lights go out. But thats the exception not the rule.

Paying 1K Xtra is just great if you are getting brightness control along with it.
I've been using Logitech G15 for quite a some time as the keys are Black and only the characters glow there's not at all any problem. Just last year I got the "SUNBEAMTECH" with the whole thing transparent and to be honest, I use to put the light off, most of the times as there's no brightness control as such.:(

Samkong said:
Paying 1K Xtra is just great if you are getting brightness control along with it.
I've been using Logitech G15 for quite a some time as the keys are Black and only the characters glow there's not at all any problem. Just last year I got the "SUNBEAMTECH" with the whole thing transparent and to be honest, I use to put the light off, most of the times as there's no brightness control as such.:(

well afaik the brightness can be controlled.

this backlit kb is good! ( m typing on the very thing). you can adjust it..two modes, and third mode turns it off completely. the light goes off soon if you dont use the touchpad/kb.I use an external mosue and the light stays off. once i touch the touchpad, it comes on again. good for the money.

the screen light will never be enough( as exp on my previous laptop)..plus you'll be really uncomfortable if you try to adjust the screen to throw it' light on the kb instead of adjusting it to your vision.

Back