Storage Solutions IOMEGA External 1TB HDD Working Like Magnet

krishnandu

Skilled
Hello, I purchased a IOMEGA 1TB External HDD from UK (When my cousin went there), around 3-4 years ago. The HDD was working fine till 20th. But from 21st morning HDD was not getting detected, and I thought it might be some problem with the USB Cable. And due to office I didn't get much time and didn't bothered.

But now when I tried to change the USB, it didn't worked. And I noticed that HDD is behaving like Magnet. I don't know what it's attracting but the power is too much.

Then I detach the case, as it's out of warranty anyway, and there's a Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 Series HDD. I connected it without the case too, just thought might be some problem with the case, but the HDD is working like magnet. It's spinning like a magnet.

May be due to my bad english I can't explain, but the thing is, when I turn it on, a magnetic field gets generated, and it spins like a high power magnet.

Is it dead? Or anything I can do?

Mate, are you sure you found a seagate 7200.11 drive inside the IOMEGA casing ? Its a ready made IOMEGA drive, right ?. I never expected that IOMEGA would use seagate drives under the brand name of IOMEGA...

Mate, are you sure you found a seagate 7200.11 drive inside the IOMEGA casing ? Its a ready made IOMEGA drive, right ?. I never expected that IOMEGA would use seagate drives under the brand name of IOMEGA...

Yes. I have opened the casing to check if there's something wrong with the casing.

All hdd Manufacturers use Seagate drive they do not Manufacturer there own drive they just give there name

All hdd Manufacturers use Seagate drive they do not Manufacturer there own drive they just give there name

You know what, i had bought a Hitachi Neso external HDD (not true external because it had a normal laptop HDD inside, more of an enclosure with laptop hdd) 4 years back and when i opened the case, i found a WD HDD inside.

right, iomega hard drives , where did you get that idea from? :D

they use manufacturers, who make the internal HDD's inside the casing, not necessarily Seagate

You know what, i had bought a Hitachi Neso external HDD (not true external because it had a normal laptop HDD inside, more of an enclosure with laptop hdd) 4 years back and when i opened the case, i found a WD HDD inside.

thats my point.

HDD internal manufacturers would be Seagate, Hitachi, Samsung, WD

so external HDD's from Verbatim, Iomega, Lacie, and others would use one of the above...

Back