Indian Stock Market and Mutual Funds

> I had quant small cap stopped it last month

I added few amounts during last market dip, any hints on why you stopped.
Is it because you reached the set target or any other hints, thanks.
there was no point in investing in 2 small cap fund so stopped quant one
Lol! It doesn't matter which bank though, it applies to all RMs.
its the hdfc bank rm but yeah all RM suck
How do I get some insider calls? Even in this bull market I've made significant loss. Really need to make the money back.
Also, which sector should be in focus right now or after election? Like solar energy? What else?
solar stocks are giving me good returns but i bought those before all this new scheme announced by govt, have invested in S&W SOLAR , ADANI GREEN, TATA POWER IS IN RED FOR MY PORTFOLIO.
Reliance, Adani, hold 5 years.
yup bought adani ones next is titan and reliance
Please do not fall for the herd mentality bias. You are better off first defining your investment objectives, then doing your own research and if that is not possible, consult a financial advisor. And no, please do not ever claim this as an investment objective -
View attachment 197179
Sorry but every now and then I see a stock market thread created and I cringe. It's another thing that the thread dies soon after.
will hope this thread doesnt die soon
good amount of diversification, when did you invest?
started SIP in thes last October only pretty late but better late than never
If you need to ask then you can't get it. Stop trading in the shares directly & start using SIP route in MFs. Direct trading in shares is only for full time pros whose only job is trading & which they learned by working in some trading/broking house. Stick to major blue chip companies shares if you still want to do some direct trading.
are you investing in MFs?

THE BIGGEST LOSS IN MY PORTFOLIO RN IS HDFC BANK [bought in dip] but still am 4k in loss hate this bank now

THE BIGGEST LOSS IN MY PORTFOLIO RN IS HDFC BANK [bought in dip] but still am 4k in loss hate this bank now
I am invested in two small cap funds with matching returns and less than 5% overlap, so yet again, it is misleading to invest just based on capatilization, if you don't know the underlying portfolio.

Also, direct trading is to be avoided if you are going into it emotionally, based on your comments.

Not directly but via NPS.
So where is your major chunk of investments and would you like to disclose your age?
Also, direct trading is to be avoided if you are going into it emotionally, based on your comments.
He is a customer of HDFC bank, nuff said and also thinks that such a big bank has more scope of long term healthy growth XD XD
Personally the best fund house right now is quant. Hands, feet and body down - they are the RenTech amongst all the AMCs of our country
There are always such exotic MFs available in mkt & during some periods they give good returns so many ppl invest in them just because of that but not for long term.
I'm pretty sure that you know all these ESG and Ethical funds are just a way to charge more ER for "actively" managed MFs better to buy a contra MF than these ones

Last edited:
@anmolbhard004
>there was no point in investing in 2 small cap fund so stopped quant one

That is good, note that quant have few different type of MFs, for eg., I invested in Quant quantamental fund and Quant momentum fund.
Was not interested in smallcap funds, I mistake I regret now.

That is good, note that quant have few different type of MFs, for eg., I invested in Quant quantamental fund and Quant momentum fund.
Was not interested in smallcap funds, I mistake I regret now.
I think quant quantamental is one of the only funds here which trades in derivates and not just equity but have you checked the overlap between those.
I when through the SID brochure but didn't find any notable difference in the investment strategies except one does derivatives and other one does not

Which stocks are you invested in that you are still in losses compared to last year?

Does one of those stocks start with the letter H ??? *Hehe*
No nothing with H. My biggest mistake was opening an account with some Angel one securities. I invested in 3 of their short term calls, Bank of India, NTPC and GSPL. I don't remember exactly but 157, 387 and 420 were their targets respectively in short term as far as I could recall. I bought them in around 150, 372, and 395. Gspl and BoI are 25% below my purchase. Lol. I called and asked the agent (who actually asked me open an account with Angel one in first place) whether I should sell them then and there or hold. He said no please carry on holding, you would make good profit in 2 to 3 weeks. So I retained the shares.

Presently I am completely broke (medical matters were ending me for past 2 years, and just recently it completely did). So stress and frustration got the better of me, and with the little 25 to 30k I had I poured in the market thinking I would ride along the bull market and make some gain. Aim was about 10%. But now this.

Last edited:
10k in hdfc bse index 50 mutual fund
10k in parag parikh flexi cap
5k in nippon india small cap
5k in motilal mid cap. 30K per month
Why so many?

A few things to think about:

A MF manager picks a portfolio for you. You have bought four portfolios from four different AMCs. There is prob a cook or a physician analogy waiting to be written.

HDFC index (large cap) + smallcap + midcap - How is this any different from a flexi? Do you believe you have the skills to decide allocations amongst these portfolios?

A MF is already a diversified product. Too much diversification => index like growth.

Ideally, you should have only one mutual fund. Every new addition takes you one step closer to the index.

Disclaimer: My MF money is split into two funds. I went from 6-7 (ICICI rm recommendation) to one index to two actively managed funds. I would have reduced it to one if I could decide between the two.

Last edited:
So where is your major chunk of investments and would you like to disclose your age?
In NPS mostly, 30+ & self employed.
Ideally, you should have only one mutual fund. Every new addition takes you one step closer to index.
That's not true, at least 3 MFs is what most financial experts suggest which basically are large cap (it follows the index very closely anyway) , medium/small cap (these have often beaten index/large cap by a significant amt in certain periods) & hybrid/debt MF.
HDFC index (large cap) + smallcap + midcap - How is this any different from a flexi? Do you believe you have the skills to decide allocations amongst these portfolios?
It is different from flexi/multi cap because as per new sebi rules a multi cap has to invest at least 25% each in large, mid and small caps meaning fund manager has no authority to decide allocation for at least 75% of the portfolio across categories/caps.

Last edited:
60K is going into the home loan
40K is going into Quant Small Cap Fund gains are good, easily give me more than 50K each year, after 12 months the money is removed and used to pre-pay my home loan.
5k each month is into an HDFC Life Click2Invest ULIP ( I know, I don't know what I was thinking when I bought it. The sum insured is only 6 lacs, but it has surpassed that as of now estimated to give me 10lacs + in 2026)
7.5K in Quant Tax Fund
2.5K Mirae Asset Emerging BlueChip Fund To offset the Loan EMI based on some videos I had watched back then. don't know the exact value and have not checked it at all, I think they were merged or rename into a different fund now, haven't tracked it in a while.
50K per year in NPS - only doing it for the additional tax savings benefit, I must say the returns are great here, but the lock-in is a killer.
12K in Index Funds under my kid's name each month expecting to give close to 1CR by the time he turns 18, He's currently 4 :)

One thing I wanted to ask, now that everything is taxed including Long Term gains from ELSS funds, is it even worth investing in one?

I am invested in two small cap funds with matching returns and less than 5% overlap, so yet again, it is misleading to invest just based on capatilization, if you don't know the underlying portfolio.

avoiding direct trading just investing for longterm now
Why so many?

A few things to think about:

A MF manager picks a portfolio for you. You have bought four portfolios from four different AMCs. There is prob a cook or a physician analogy waiting to be written.

A MF is already a diversified product. Too much diversification => index like growth.

Ideally, you should have only one mutual fund. Every new addition takes you one step closer to the index.

Disclaimer: My MF money is split into two funds. I went from 6-7 (ICICI rm recommendation) to one index to two actively managed funds. I would have reduced it to one if I could decide between the two.
those were also recommended by my friends :rolleyes::rolleyes:
In NPS mostly, 30+ & self employed.

That's not true, at least 3 MFs is what most financial experts suggest which basically are large cap (it follows the index very closely anyway) , medium/small cap (these have often beaten index/large cap by a significant amt in certain periods) & hybrid/debt MF.

It is different from flexi/multi cap because as per new sebi rules a multi cap has to invest at least 25% each in large, mid and small caps meaning fund manager has no authority to decide allocation for at least 75% of the portfolio across categories/caps.
yeah minimum 3 are required I assume I also have to narrow mine to 3

One thing I wanted to ask, now that everything is taxed including Long Term gains from ELSS funds, is it even worth investing in one?
Yes, selecting a good ELSS fund such as Quant will give you better returns compared to peers and you should expect 16-18% some people would say OMG and all but as you have exposure to Quant you'd know that's possible, I think you should sit with your CA and figure out whether Old Tax regime is actually better for you or not

Yes, selecting a good ELSS fund such as Quant will give you better returns compared to peers and you should expect 16-18% some people would say OMG and all but as you have exposure to Quant you'd know that's possible, I think you should sit with your CA and figure out whether Old Tax regime is actually better for you or not
I always use the Old Tax regime, it is better in every way at least for me.

I always use the Old Tax regime, it is better in every way at least for me.
Have you done cost benefit analysis? Also Principle repayment falls under 80C so need to overdo investments in 80C via ELSS
Supposing your total taxable income before claiming deductions in Old regime is 45L
Deduction claimed - 4.5L
Net taxable income - 40.5L
Tax to be paid - 10.275L
For new regime the tax to be paid is - 10.35L

What made you invest in that?
Lock-in period of 3 month and there performance is pretty good, 30% last year and around 19% in past 5 years so instead of keeping the money in bank I can simply invest and forget.
The reason for investment is the pathetic service by ICICI bank who are always pushing me to get this or that Bla Bla.... (I'll rather move my money to another place and earn more)
Direct trading in shares is a big no without thorough research (& the kind which takes hours everyday & doesn't incl watching youtube videos) so stick to MFs.
I would only invest on portfolio manager advice and planning to invest for around 3 years.

Back