India is now the world’s slave capital

Its very likely that the moneylenders will fleece farmers by charging interest rates that are higher than the banks.
Banks won't lend because these people are bad risks to begin with. Forget these people the banks won't even lend to govt. Thats why we have all these world bank loans that come with easier terms but stipulate better governance. You notice that word on manifestos sinc the last decade.

Money-lending shouldn't exist, especially in a country like India in today's world.
Then banking will have to become a lot more widespread than it is currently. Its an ongoing project. Zero balance accounts were announced recently with this objective in mind.

Indira took over the banks in the 70s because they refused to move into smaller towns, not worth their while. Today 70% of the country is rural its very expensive to operate a branch model in villages, how to solve it ? Half the country do not use banks.

Micro-financing was another model that had lots of promise but there was just too much opposition.

Another innovation was using your mobile to transfer money, vodafone started this in kenya, it was called m-pesa back in 2006. Could we do it in India ? No, said the RBI (!)

Pretty casual attitude if i must say. Just because the downtrodden are good at surviving doesn't mean that they have to.
people get into debt whether we like it or not. I had the same attitude towards those that lost homes in the US too btw.

So manage your debt.

Last edited:
I am always saddened to see manual laborers being treated like 3rd class citizens and being offered miniscule compensation in india. but every damn business has to engage cheap labour. I dont understand how the business owners sleep at night knowing that one of their employees might be struggling to warm himself in the cold

I am yet to see an enslaved person! (Excluding the beggars). Don't know how much validity that article holds!

All right, How exactly did you verify that somebody that you came across is not a slave? Did you talk to those people and studied their life, collected statistics from NGOs and Govt. or did any of the things that this organization has done in each country to collect those figures or maybe you expecting them to be in laden in chains for you to be able to visually identify?

Nobody came to you and declared that they are enslaved, so you are assuming that this survey is bogus...

In our country, slavery is potentially everywhere around you. Slaves are often used by construction companies as labourers. Lets say that a construction contractor needs 50 people.

Some slave broker brings in people and he collects a fixed amount. The cost would be much less than the typical labourer rates. The people he brings in will not get any money, only food. Any attempt to escape will result in dire consequences for both them and their families as they are controlled by Gooda's.

So, if you see a labourer on the street. How do you know just by looking whether they are slaves or working for wages out of free will?

I think the government response table is interesting: Netherlands (ranked 1st) has legalised prostitution and Amsterdam being famous for "sex tourism". On the other hand, Sweden has a strange rule , prostitution is legal but its illegal for a man to pay for it.

FYI, I have read that slave usage by construction contractors is quite high in Hyderabad and Bangalore. They are also used by many Govt. Contractor's. They are apparently brought in from Northern states. There was even some episode on Crime Patrol or some other crime show related to this. These incidents are also often reported in Times of India website.

The reason why India will never change and will always remain a piss-hole of a country that it is, is because people here refuse to accept the bitter truths of the state of our country even the signs are right before their face. Our people are so self-deluded about their self-proclaimed superiority and perfection that they think they are at the pinnacle of civilization and everything that they have is perfect and that everybody else is just jealous.

This is why reports of widespread exploitation, caste and gender discrimination, and everything that is wrong in this country is ticked as being overrated or bogus. Even when its visible, instead of trying to accept the truth and finding ways to correct it, people just try to justify the wrong either by claiming that it is actually right or by claiming that since some other country has it, its perfectly fine to have it in our country.

That is why we always have people trying to openly justify discrimination, slavery, honour killings, domestic violence, rapes and other crimes. Our country is perfect, our culture and traditions are perfect (even if we discard the good bits about it and stick to the barbaric practices that don't even make sense 500 years ago).

When a handful reformers in India and the British Raj were trying to abolish the the practice of sati, people protested in the name of preserving our 'great' culture and tradition. Even RSS fought for this in the early 20th century. It is our tradition, so it has to be perfect. So, people think there is no need to change something that is already perfect.

Daily wages for an unskilled construction worker in Kerala ranges from Rs. 400 to 600 and skilled ones from Rs. 600 to Rs. 900. I don't know for sure but I am guessing that the wages in most bigger cities are about the same.

All right, How exactly did you verify that somebody that you came across is not a slave? Did you talk to those people and studied their life, collected statistics from NGOs and Govt.

Yeah, I talk with them very frequently, cause they are my business colleagues! LOL.

Why would I 'guess' about other people whom I don't know anyway?

Back