OC & Modding i7 920 running even hotter with new cooler

gseven

Disciple
i got new cooler master hyper 212 plus for my i7 920. according to reviews it should set its temp. to below 30 on idle but its usually stays above 40. I hv tried resetting 3 times. still no improvement.

my mobo - x58-ud3r

firstly the reviews are all a result of 25 deg c where as the temps here are arnd 10 deg more so this is normal

as far as ur hyper 212 is giving higher temps than the stock cooler means the mounting is not done properly or check the layer of tim and see if it is ok

sometimes the TIM has a burn in time associated with it

1. what are the ambient temps?

2. as suggested by moksh4u2, what were the idle temps on the stock cooler?

3. What thermal compound are you using?

4. idle temps below 30 can be achieved only if ur ambient temperature is around 18-20 degrees.

5. no matter what ever cooler u use, it cant lower the temps below the ambient temp.

6. are the idle temps monitored with Air Conditioner on or off?

7. check whether CPU is running at stock speeds, and cpu voltage is set to auto.

i am sure u have the answer for ur high temp issue in one of the above points.

cheers

Vrishi

You might wanna rephrase your topic title. You make it sound like the temperatures have gone further up from switching to a Hyper 212+ from the stock cooler.

Anyway, Hyper 212+ isn't really among the top of the line coolers. Its decent and does the job but it isn't something that would show you difference in idle temps.(atleast not anymore than 5 degrees) Run a few stress tests and you'll notice that its a lot cooler than before.

Its summer time dude, the temps are bound to be high. Ambient temps play a key role when it comes to the overall temps of the processor.

gseven said:
i got new cooler master hyper 212 plus for my i7 920. according to reviews it should set its temp. to below 30 on idle but its usually stays above 40. I hv tried resetting 3 times. still no improvement.

my mobo - x58-ud3r

Post a RealTEMP run here, running with Prime95 -- 2x worker threads.

as some of the members have posted.i thinks it not much as its summer tiime.also it depends on the surrounding environment where you have kept it.

i use a small table fan & blow air directly on the open cabinet keeps my processor under 35 on idle & 42 on high load. works like a charm & you don't need to spend money on fancy coolers, the fan comes for like 300bucks. my room temp is around 38.

well i dont know what is TIN
m confused..i use my ac almost all the time at 26

m using the paste which came bundled with 212

gseven said:
well i dont know what is TIN
m confused..i use my ac almost all the time at 26

m using the paste which came bundled with 212

if you don't know what is TIM than perhaps you never applied it? thermal grease is needed for efficient transfer of heat, it comes in syringe.

You may land up spending more on power as compared to a price of Cooler. But at the end of the day, it is another cooler!

aasimenator said:
i use a small table fan & blow air directly on the open cabinet keeps my processor under 35 on idle & 42 on high load. works like a charm & you don't need to spend money on fancy coolers, the fan comes for like 300bucks. my room temp is around 38.

While applying TIM care should be taken such that dust like tiny sand granules shouldn't fall b/w the junction. I suggest rotating the heatsink while it is seated on the processor with little pressure before bolting it to the mobo. By doing so you remove the excess TIM and also you can feel the it scrubbing if there are any sand particles.

Try undervolting the processor.

Back