Video I want to split cable tv signal for my HTPC and normal TV

tech1978

Disciple
I want to split cable tv signal and provide them to tv as well as HTPC, I have used to regular cable and splitter normally we get in hardware/electric shop but after connection picture quality was very poor and distorted :mad:.

Has any one done it ? Can any one give how to do it, any links regarding components to be used ?
Do I need to use amplifier or signal booster ?

The splitter that you have tried with, is it an active splitter or a passive one? It is generally mentioned on the splitter. If its a passive splitter, then there will be a degradation in the quality. Try it with an active splitter.

Alternatively, you can invest in an amplifier and use it. It will ensure that you get perfect signal which will really add to your HTPC experience. Maximum cost of an amplifier for personal use will be about 600/- depending on where you buy it. I suggest that you get friendly with your cable operator's men and ask them to let you try their own amplifier at your place before getting your own amplifier.

Thx for reply I am not sure what is the type of my splitter. I will check and let you know. Meanwhile can you give me some links pointing to amplifier which I can buy as it will take some time for cable guy to come at my home and solve my problem.

These amplifiers are made by 100's of companies. So cannot give you a specific brand. Go to the local shop dealing in these and explain your need. He will give you the best suitable amplifier. With the amplifier, you will need RG6 cable of the appropriate lengths. Get it from him and also ask him to help you to connect the F-Type connectors to the cable and the baluns at the other end to connect to the tv-tuner and tv. Its best to install the amplifier at the spot where the cable enters your home if you can arrange for a power source for it. That way, you are sure that the signal you get is optimised. Generally, the amplifier will have 2 outputs. One is marked as Monitor. You can use this to connect to your television/tuner so that the other output, marked as Output can be connected to the other unit without having to use a splitter.

Get the primary tuning of the amplifier done at the shop. You may still need to tweak it a little depending on the signal levels at your home.

Best of luck.

i have 3 tv's at my place

and i simply cut the cable and joined all the 3 difff cables at a common point like a simple joint and taped it nicely

and it working nice for all tv's :p

MohitPreet said:
i have 3 tv's at my place
and i simply cut the cable and joined all the 3 difff cables at a common point like a simple joint and taped it nicely
and it working nice for all tv's :p

lucky man !! :hap2:. Not sure how it worked. I tried at very first place and failed so thought of doing all this splitter and stuff.

MohitPreet said:
we have been using this kind of connection since more than 2 years...
it works yaar..:p

May be signal strength is high and good quality. At my end I see lines, dots and dashes on many channel after joining three cables. May be noise is getting inserted into it.

MohitPreet said:
we have been using this kind of connection since more than 2 years...

it works yaar..

me too,,i have 2 tvs and one tv-tuner(pc),,,worked for me,,for more 5yrs now!!!

tech1978 said:
May be signal strength is high and good quality. At my end I see lines, dots and dashes on many channel after joining three cables. May be noise is getting inserted into it.

try calling ur cable operator

Back