Storage Solutions I want to Buy a 1 Tb Internal HDD .. PLZ help ..

Sylar

Disciple
I want to KNow How can Be Hard drives Be Differentiated on the basis Of speed ,
Buffer ,Catche and RPM ..
PLZ Explain In Detail ..

I hav a Budget of 4 K .. plz suggest one in the price range..
Thanking you b4hand ...

here is a short explanation.

HDDs are classified on basis of:-
manufacturer(LOL, no need to xplain here)
Size(how much space its got)
Interface: SATA( SATA I-1.5Gbps, SATA II-3Gbps or SATA III-6Gbps) or PATA
Generally nowadays you will get the newer sata type drivers.
SATA II is the most common now, SATA i is out dated and SATA II has just been introduced. the newer the better and more higher speed.
Cache: this acts in gaming etc, when some files need to be accessed repeatedly. more the cache the better
Rotational speed: two variations 5400rpm and 7200rpm (rpm = rotations per minute)
in 5400rpm the read or write speed is slower but enery required is less, so you will find this in laptops. 7200 is high performance.
manufacturers often give sub names:-
here are a few.

Seagate:-
Barracuda:- gaming HDDs, high performance. gets really really hot(burnt my finder tip once)
no name:- everyday storage and use.

Western Digital:-
Black:- super high performance best HDDs in the world
Blue:- high performance and low heat.
Green:- good Performance, low heat, energy efficient. and so its still Eco Friendly.

de.das.dude said:
Barracuda:- gaming HDDs, high performance. gets really really hot(burnt my finder tip once)

Green:- good Performance, low heat, energy efficient. and so its still Eco Friendly.

Lolz........

de.das.dude said:

SATA II is the most common now, SATA i is out dated and SATA II has just been introduced. the newer the better and more higher speed.
Cache: this acts in gaming etc, when some files need to be accessed repeatedly. more the cache the better
Rotational speed: two variations 5400rpm and 7200rpm (rpm = rotations per minute)
in 5400rpm the read or write speed is slower but enery required is less, so you will find this in laptops. 7200 is high performance.
here are a few.

bang on seagate heat but wd not the best anymore!! read the wd service thread dude. seagate and wd have same failure rate!!

de.das.dude said:

here are a few.

Seems biased towards WD :p

Seagate 7200.12 series : High performance. beats WD blacks most of the time at lower temperature and power consumption. In fact it runs really cool, comparable to WD green.

Seagate 7200.11: acceptable performance for data dumbs and runs slightly hotter than 7200.12, dunno why

LP(Low Power) : Performs close to WD Black in sequential read/write and other performances too are good. Cheap and runs cool. High storage like 1.5~2TB

WD Black: High performance, good access time, but still falls short of 7200.12 in sequential read/writes by good margin. Runs hot and consume more power.

Blue: Good performance, but still lower than 7200.12 or LP.

Green: Low on performance, but still saves only avg of 1~1.5W compared to blacks.

there are two hot selling brands, seagate & western digital, which has good after sales service, except few setbacks occurred with some members, analysis based on people i know who own both the brands & no one faced problem with RMA.

it will also fit your budget

mrcool63 said:
bang on seagate heat but wd not the best anymore!! read the wd service thread dude. seagate and wd have same failure rate!!
not for me it aint. segates break down a lot faster. just be sure not to buy the "MADE IN CHINA ONES", they are original but china ones suck. same for any thing. never buy MADE IN CHINA. buy malasia or korea ones, there not bad.
oveall WD has better world standards than Seagate

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

dOm1naTOr said:
Seems biased towards WD :p

Seagate 7200.12 series : High performance. beats WD blacks most of the time at lower temperature and power consumption. In fact it runs really cool, comparable to WD green.
Seagate 7200.11: acceptable performance for data dumbs and runs slightly hotter than 7200.12, dunno why
LP(Low Power) : Performs close to WD Black in sequential read/write and other performances too are good. Cheap and runs cool. High storage like 1.5~2TB

WD Black: High performance, good access time, but still falls short of 7200.12 in sequential read/writes by good margin. Runs hot and consume more power.
Blue: Good performance, but still lower than 7200.12 or LP.
Green: Low on performance, but still saves only avg of 1~1.5W compared to blacks.
no way man i own both seagate barracuda and WD green. i burnt my finger on the seagate barracuda, its chip gets that hot.
and i even did the WD review. see the above post for more info.
never judge a particular brand by using just one product or hoe everyone has "problems". i bought an asus mobo and its showing problems 2month into use . this doesnot mean asus is bad. sometimes manufacturing defects occur. and if the thing was made in china, there is a higher possibility of that.

and my bro uses seagate. his 500gb barracuda showed bad sectors just after 1yr.

here, this should solve your question Sylar, wrote it just for you.
http://www.techenclave.com/storage-solutions/hdd-choosing-guide-177519.html?highlight=

Check This comparison bro > Charts, benchmarks 2009 3.5[2371]=on&prod[2779]=on&prod[2777]=on&prod[2365]=on&prod[2363]=on

check trnsfer rate b/w 1TB 7200.12 and WD black. Also surface temp of of 7k.12 is second lowest and even the 1TB LP beats WD Black in most except for access time. SO the WD Black naming is just a gimmick. They are just selling it as premium with 5 yrs warranty. Its even ~10dB noisy than the other.

btw, u cant decide with 1~2 seagate failures. Every HDD brands fail. My friends WD black failed within a month.

i was looking for a WD black, just then two of my friend's Black failed taking whole data with it. I checked all reviews and was amazed with the 1TB 7200.12 and now im a happy customer for past 1 yr. Its the best performing HDD among my whole 6TB.

de.das.dude said:
not for me it aint. segates break down a lot faster. just be sure not to buy the "MADE IN CHINA ONES", they are original but china ones suck. same for any thing. never buy MADE IN CHINA. buy malasia or korea ones, there not bad.

oveall WD has better world standards than Seagate

no way man i own both seagate barracuda and WD green. i burnt my finger on the seagate barracuda, its chip gets that hot.

and i even did the WD review. see the above post for more info.

never judge a particular brand by using just one product or hoe everyone has "problems". i bought an asus mobo and its showing problems 2month into use . this doesnot mean asus is bad. sometimes manufacturing defects occur. and if the thing was made in china, there is a higher possibility of that.

and my bro uses seagate. his 500gb barracuda showed bad sectors just after 1yr.

here, this should solve your question Sylar, wrote it just for you.

http://www.techenclave.com/storage-solutions/hdd-choosing-guide-177519.html?highlight=

dOm1naTOr said:
Check This comparison bro > Charts, benchmarks 2009 3.5[2371]=on&prod[2779]=on&prod[2777]=on&prod[2365]=on&prod[2363]=on

check trnsfer rate b/w 1TB 7200.12 and WD black. Also surface temp of of 7k.12 is second lowest and even the 1TB LP beats WD Black in most except for access time. SO the WD Black naming is just a gimmick. They are just selling it as premium with 5 yrs warranty. Its even ~10dB noisy than the other.

btw, u cant decide with 1~2 seagate failures. Every HDD brands fail. My friends WD black failed within a month.

i was looking for a WD black, just then two of my friend's Black failed taking whole data with it. I checked all reviews and was amazed with the 1TB 7200.12 and now im a happy customer for past 1 yr. Its the best performing HDD among my whole 6TB.

Hm.. i Compared black and 7200.12.. Bt tell me plz which one will fit in my Budget

and I wont want myself changing Hdd.. f in case there is any fault in the drive..

Bt in speed WD beats Seagate.. but the temps ,seagate is better.. :S

Go for Seagate 7200.12 1TB. Service good in Punjab, cost only 2750, two high density platter of 500GB. Remember hard disks are prone to fail anytime, whatever brand. Always take backup on removable media like DVD's.

Back