Car & Bike Hyundai i20 Audio upgrade .

hector19

| Crafted for Gaming |
Adept
Hello members , am in need of ur advice , suggestion
<

Enjoying all the glory of Hyundai i20 for over 3 months
<
, but the Audio did not please me much .

i have decided to change the Speakers only & add an Amp , retain the stock Head Unit.

My Budget is : 20k.

I have No idea bout the stock head unit , & its out puts, My local car decor asked me whether the stock HU features an output Line that is required for an Amp
<
. I don't know what he meant.

Please shed some light on this
<

What i have decided is :

1. Change all 4 Door speakers, with Infinity 2 way or 3 way speakers
<
or pleas suggest any best available option.

2. Install an Pioneer or JBL amp enough to rattle the car .

3. Big no to Sub woofer as Dad's against it
<

Help me choose the Right components , & possibly a good place in Bangalore for the Installation .

Thanks.

---- UPDATE -----

Crying as i Type .

Guys, i don't know what went wrong... or wat i did not Understand.

Spent 23k For Nothing.

Here's what happn'd :

Went to Auto Planet Koramangala , met Kumar (prop).

i told bout my Req & Budget & he told me we can work out more than what i was Expecting.

I asked him whether that spending 20k would be a reasonable upgrade over the Current ICE ( Stock ) . He said Hell-Yes .
<

instead what hapnn'd is the Sound Quality Dropped.

He installed :

Speakers : Front Infinity ( REF6030CS ) Door.

" : Back Infinity ( REF5032CF ) Door.

Head unit to RCA converters

Amp : JBL GT-X646. 4 Channel Amp.

After the installation , The Sound Quality was not so good, it is now worse than the STOCK speakers.

What happend after the new components is that the BASS is seriously lacking. All i hear the High Freq sound Treble & some what mid-range sound.

When i asked him as what went wrong, he's telling me that a Separate Sub should be installed, & swears by his business that the STOCK speakers can't give out any kinda BASS sounds.

& that the current installed speakers are only Mid range speakers & they don't give out any kinda BASS sounds
<

What went WRONG ?

From the model number it seems that you've got yourself components for the front. They are definitely a worthy upgrade over the stock but it will not fulfill your bass demands. In fact the bass as you have pointed out has decreased. Not sure about the back rear speakers but if it would have been 6 x 9 coaxials on the parcel tray I believe you would have gotten a better bass output. Anyway, I think you will now have to spend some more to install a sub to produce the rattling
<
sound. You already have an amp which makes the job easier. You can connect the front components to 2 channels and bridge the other 2 channels to power your sub. The rear speakers can run off the HU. I think a little more research before taking the plunge would have saved you from this predicament
<

The Rear Speakers are not the 6x9 speakers, those are also the same door speakers.

" Plus One woofer cones - This patent pending technology deliver a cone with more surface area than competing models of the same size. The result is increased bass output and higher efficiency " . ...... This is about the Rear Speakers. source : Infinity site.

So what can i do to gain Bass ?

Installing a Sub woofer is Impossible from my side. Dad won't allow.

Should i change the Rear speakers to a Decent Loud speaker ?

Did you check the HPF/LPF settings on the amplifier ?

Also the i20 stock HU doesn't have any pre outs so your installer must have used some kind of high to low converter which would also screw up things, if its not of good quality.

---- UPDATE -----

Crying as i Type .

Guys, i don't know what went wrong... or wat i did not Understand.

Spent 23k For Nothing.

Here's what happn'd :

Went to Auto Planet Koramangala , met Kumar (prop).

i told bout my Req & Budget & he told me we can work out more than what i was Expecting.

I asked him whether that spending 20k would be a reasonable upgrade over the Current ICE ( Stock ) . He said Hell-Yes .
<

instead what hapnn'd is the Sound Quality Dropped.

He installed :

Speakers : Front Infinity ( REF6030CS ) Door.

" : Back Infinity ( REF5032CF ) Door.

Head unit to RCA converters

Amp : JBL GT-X646. 4 Channel Amp.

After the installation , The Sound Quality was not so good, it is now worse than the STOCK speakers.

What happend after the new components is that the BASS is seriously lacking. All i hear the High Freq sound Treble & some what mid-range sound.

When i asked him as what went wrong, he's telling me that a Separate Sub should be installed, & swears by his business that the STOCK speakers can't give out any kinda BASS sounds.

& that the current installed speakers are only Mid range speakers & they don't give out any kinda BASS sounds
<

What went WRONG ?

i'd say if the guy knew your requirements, then he is just playing smart with you to try and sell extra stuff. if you were not looking to buy subwoofers, then what you should've done in this budget that instead of racking your head in so much component, composite stuff, is bought excellent speakers from either pioneer, kenwood, jbl (biased towards bass), blaupunkt (again biased towards bass) and first tried them without an amp, and then if you wanted a more powerful sound, then go for the amps..

no offense, but you've been a bit hasty in spending your money without proper knowledge about stuff. you should've done some online reading too about what key points should have been given importance.

plus, are the rear speakers the same 4 inch speakers used in the front??? the 4 inch speakers are more like large tweeters and will be quite irritating to the ears if they are playing solo without any larger sized supporting speakers.

and plus, if you have a 20K budget just for speakers, you would have found excellent bass as well as midrange response speakers anyway.. you need not spend on subwoofers or those hardcore bass tubes, unless you are a total kind of bass freak and like to play your music with your car doors and boot open in those fast and the furious kind of street gatherings...

^ The Rear Speakers are 4inch Midrange/Tweeter ones.

Back Infinity ( REF5032CF ) .i Should have waited
<

Like u said, i don't Require an Heavy Bass or an Hardcore BASS FREAK .

So what option do i have now ? i Will try to Exchange the Speakers .

& @ sushant I will check with the Amp settings & post here
<

^ The Rear Speakers are 4inch Midrange/Tweeter ones.

Back Infinity ( REF5032CF ) .i Should have waited
<

Like u said, i don't Require an Heavy Bass or an Hardcore BASS FREAK .

So what option do i have now ? i Will try to Exchange the Speakers .

& @ sushant I will check with the Amp settings & post here
<

man.. no offense.. but that is just not intelligent.. why would you get 4 inch speakers for the rear of the car when theres ample space for bigger ones???

you had such an excellent budget for speakers.. not many people buy only speakers in this budget.. and you wasted it.... and rather, the shop owner just played cunning and chipkaod the speakers to you and now wants to push his other stuff to make you spend more.. ..

first rule, if you are not a hardcore enthusiast dont confuse yourself in going in so much depth about amps and component cables or RCA cables.. .its a step by step progress that takes time which will actually enable you to appreciate the small progresses in sound quality that you get from such expensive hardware.. eg.. an office clerk might be able to tell the difference between a Rs. 10 pen and a Rs. 100 pen.. but he wont be able to see any difference between a pen costing Rs. 4000 and Rs. 8000. to him both will be equally awesome and an utter waste of money at the same time..

same case is with us, you try to take a jump in the kind of hardware you buy, but you dont even have the perspective or point of view to be able to appreciate and justify what you've bought, what is the point of spending so much????

sorry .. but i mean no offense.. its just that i cant help advising when i see people making misinformed decisions or decisions take n without adequate research and learning.. Now heres my advice:

if the speakers can get replaced, well and good.. feel lucky.. be patient, do a lot of research for like atleast 15 to 20 days.. read up on articles online on what would be sensible point to spend money for .. .

forget about amps, component cables, or any other extra hardware except your stock car audio unit and speakers..just dont wander away from the most basic setup of audio player and speakers.. .trust me,, in a budget like this, you will get very very excellent speakers from pioneer, kenwood.. JBL and blaupunkt charge a premium on their brand names but i am not saying they are bad.. but brands like pioneer and kenwood will give you more bang for the buck.. keep sony out of question.. sony is an excellent brand in audio products.. but not car audio. .i dont know why, but sony car audio systems literally suck...

just open pioneer and kenwood's website, look at what options they have.. once you go the physical store with an idea of what you want to spend on, it will be difficult for stupid salesman or extra clever salesmen to push products down your pocket that you dont need or didnt intend to buy when you first entered the shop.. have a very clear perspective of your choice of buying..

when your dads not allowing subwoofers, its clear he doesnt want the extra boom boom in the car, and if that is not required, why waste money on amps????

Components can give a bit of bass. My front components can give very decent amount of bass.

Try setting it up on the amp. Generally works.

Did you push bass all the way up in the HU?

One possibility is that the OEM head unit is messing up the sounds. If you go back try asking the dealer to connect another headunit with proper preouts to the amp and see if the sound is any better. This is just to rule out the HU from being the culprit. Then you can take a call from there whether to change the HU or speakers

One possibility is that the OEM head unit is messing up the sounds. If you go back try asking the dealer to connect another headunit with proper preouts to the amp and see if the sound is any better. This is just to rule out the HU from being the culprit. Then you can take a call from there whether to change the HU or speakers

True that. Most OEM HUs are crap. Cruze is exception though.

I changed to Pioneer AVH-4490BT. Brilliant improvement I must say, not just in the components output but in bass too. Its much more tighter now.

The speakers he's given you are good. I've listened to Infinitys (I think the same Reference series you have) and definitely did not find them lacking in bass.

Either the installer has goofed up with the install, or there is another weak link in your setup, or you're used to boomy bass.

Check the crossovers for your front speakers. They have a 0db/+3db setting for the tweeters. Ensure its at 0db, so the tweeters dont overpower the woofers.

Cross-check the amp settings as Vasishta said.

Cross-check your HU settings.

Find a more reliable installer.

REF6030 is a 6.5" component speaker.

REF5032 is a 5.25" coax speaker.

I'm assuming he gave you the 5.25" in the rear door since perhaps thats the max size the i20 accommodates in the rear.

P.s.: Someone on t-bhp has mentioned that Kumar indulges in plenty of marketing speak. So be cautious. While the drivers on these speakers are classified as "mid-woofers".. they still go as low as 50Hz, which should be enough for decent bass.

P.s.2: Components do not lack bass or produce less bass. That is a myth propagated by people who are used to boomy bass.

what you should've done in this budget that instead of racking your head in so much component, composite stuff, is bought excellent speakers from either pioneer, kenwood, jbl (biased towards bass)

Infinity is a sister company of JBL. If he finds these bright, its going to be worse with the JBL.

Infinity is a sister company of JBL. If he finds these bright, its going to be worse with the JBL.

Oh.. i didnt know that.... thanks..
<

but i think hes just finding his current speakers bright because hes only put 4 inch speakers even in the rear.. those speakers do not have a properly oscillating diaphragm that can create good bass.. maybe if with the same brand, he tries putting bigger speakers he might be happy with his sound quality.

Maybe you can get in touch with Satya from EVO for tuning your audio system, he did a great job installing and tuning mine!

There's no 4" speaker :

Thanks all for the much needed inputs
<

Will sort everything out & update here soon .

What i will do is : Check with the HeadUnit .

& GUYS, if the problem is with the HU , wat option do i have ?

should i have to change the HU with after market ones ? if thats the case then won't that mess the steering mounted controls & other parts ?

What will i be compromising if i have to change the HU ?

Yeah if you go in for an aftermarket HU you will lose the steering controls. You have a couple of options though. One is to look at a DSP that supports line level inputs like the Audison bit Ten which can improve sound quality vastly. Other option is to get an aftermarket HU like Pioneer. Pioneer also have some interface that allows the steering controls to function with a Pioneer HU for 4k - You can have a look at this thread where someone has installed this interface - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/102817-200-days-living-dream-my-i20-diesel-asta.html.

First step though is to ask your dealer to connect up some aftermarket HU to see if it does have any impact on the sound before doing any of the above

I am not much of an audio guy, but I would urge you to drop in at Evo in Indiranagar. I got ICE for wife's beat first and was happy with it that i kind of revamped in my Baleno. Another friend from office also got ICE done on his Swift and Sunnyboi on his car and both are pretty happy & satisfied with the work.

Best part is Sathya (owner) is a nice chap, understands your requirement and budget and gives you 2-3 options within your budget - doesn't try to fleece you!
<

Let me know if you need his number.

Back