Laptops Hp Laptop Graphics card Issue

rakeshinx

Disciple
Hi there , My hp laptop graphics card ( nvidia ) as got some hardware issue and i am not getting any display on the laptop , although the laptop will start up but display will be all garbled up due to graphics card . I have tried to gett it replaced but they are asking 25k for repairing it which is as good a buying a new laptop.. is there any other possible way that the graphics card be repaired for the laptop or replaced with some standard graphics card.

If this is the dv series, this is a known issue. The problem is caused by a faulty nvidia graphics chip. In the US, HP is supposed to replace the motherboard and GFX card for free. Unfortunately we Indians have no such luck.

The chip can be repaired, but it all depends no how much damage it has caused. See, the ship basically overheats terribly over time and causes damage to the motherboard. Considering the repair cost I'm guessing that these service guys are planning to replace the motherboard too. I suggest to take it to another repair center and ask if they can replace the chip only. It's entirely possible albeit difficult. Read-up on the problem before you take it. That way they can't take you for a ride.

If they ask you to replace the motherboard, I'm afraid your're better of buying a new laptop.

thanks for the reply ... thats the dv series only .. i checked up with 2-3 people they are asking too much for the repair , anyways i have already got a new laptop from acer this time , and it does not heat as much as the hp ones even on high loads .. but still finding if the old one can be repaired for minimal cost for use at home ...

I am on the same boat as you are. I have spent close to 5K without much luck. It works for about a month and then back to square one.

True. All depends on your luck. Some people have managed to keep their laptops going for about a year after repair. Other conked off within a month. Like I said, better of giving up on it.

What an unfortunate coincidence.. My HP dv6516tx went kaput in the same way that you mentioned, just about 10 days ago. Ordered a dell today only, after seeing that most attempts at repairing the laptop were a futile exercise. Had half a mind trying to get it repaired, but now I've decided I won't.

^ Good that you didn't. That's the same model that I have. 5k down the drain trying to get it repaired :(. Served me for around 4 yrs. Now skeptical whether to get an HP again or not. Any known problem with the DM1Z? (Do not require a laptop anymore, a decent netbook should be good enough)

^^ Mine served me 4 years as well.. :p BTW, I have no idea about the DM1Z.. There is a review here at TE, IIRC.

Back