Linux How to DUAL BOOT Windows 8 and Ubuntu 12.04 (64-bit)

Also why you have chosen Kubuntu over Ubuntu? Any specific reason? Kubuntu has been barred from any financial support from Canonical heck its not even the best KDE distro out there.

Because after downloading Ubuntu 12.4.2 iso from different sources about 5 times in total and unable to get past the boot menu (after making bootable pen drive, I get to the menu asking if I want to install Ubuntu or run via Pen Drive), I simply gave up.

Any solution to that guys?

Wubi though is a decent solution is not advisable at all.
You sure are ok with what you said? Cause it all seems haywire to me.

Inshort what you are saying is completely absurd. You cannot have a separate /etc partition (if you know what that means) , linux partition gets automounted (rofl) - ofcourse it will! How exactly it will boot if it doesn't ?

Also to mount other partition all you need is to edit fstab file in the /etc directory. Additionally I don't understand the fact that you recommended 100Gb for Ubuntu given you can use any partition for compiling, linking

I never listed Wubi as what he should be trying first, it is always a last resort if nothing else works.
About the automounting, I have stated the obvious, and it seems like some people don't like it when that's done.
And yes, you can automount partitions by editing the fstab file. About the 100gb thing, I just said that, make the partition size at least 100gb, nothing else, and i know that other partitions can be used for compiling, but convenience is a factor, and since he is starting fresh with the Linux setup anyway, why not have the repo too in the same partition for convenience, that's what I meant.

Anyway, it's better if you guide him, rather than me with my absurd replies.

Because after downloading Ubuntu 12.4.2 iso from different sources about 5 times in total and unable to get past the boot menu (after making bootable pen drive, I get to the menu asking if I want to install Ubuntu or run via Pen Drive), I simply gave up.

Any solution to that guys?

What version is that? 12.04? 12.10? Which method you use to make a bootable pendrive?

So you can work in the boot menu or just get stucked in it or after it?

I never listed Wubi as what he should be trying first, it is always a last resort if nothing else works.
About the automounting, I have stated the obvious, and it seems like some people don't like it when that's done.
And yes, you can automount partitions by editing the fstab file. About the 100gb thing, I just said that, make the partition size at least 100gb, nothing else, and i know that other partitions can be used for compiling, but convenience is a factor, and since he is starting fresh with the Linux setup anyway, why not have the repo too in the same partition for convenience, that's what I meant.

Anyway, it's better if you guide him, rather than me with my absurd replies.

What again for the automounting thing? Repo ? What repo you are talking about? All Ubuntu repo will reside inside the / no matter what. (/etc/apt to be precise)

Don't get pissed - we are all here to learn and make mistakes. Learn from it no need to get high and sad on an online forum.

What version is that? 12.04? 12.10? Which method you use to make a bootable pendrive?

What again for the automounting thing? Repo ? What repo you are talking about? All Ubuntu repo will reside inside the / no matter what. (/etc/apt to be precise)

Don't get pissed - we are all here to learn and make mistakes. Learn from it no need to get high and sad on an online forum.

Ah, found out the misunderstanding mate. You were talking about the Ubuntu repo, and I was talking about the android repo. Two totally different things, the android repo has to be manually and projects have to be fetched before building, the whole thing takes around 30gb itself.

No wonder you found my reply absurd and I found yours making no sense either, hehe :p
And forget about that auto mounting thing too, probably should have never mentioned it.

Compaddict, did you try making the bootable USB using the tool I posted in the previous page?
And as for downloading the Ubuntu iso, the best source is the Ubuntu site itself. Version 12.10 64-bit.

Universal USB Installer. I used it on the Kubuntu 12.4.2 image which worked. And I've downloaded the Ubuntu distro nearly 5 times (from 5 sources) and the same error.

The menu shows, with the different options. When I press ENTER on any (like Install Ubuntu) the laptop just BEEPS and nothing happens.

Disappointing :(

Universal USB Installer. I used it on the Kubuntu 12.4.2 image which worked. And I've downloaded the Ubuntu distro nearly 5 times (from 5 sources) and the same error.

The menu shows, with the different options. When I press ENTER on any (like Install Ubuntu) the laptop just BEEPS and nothing happens.

Disappointing :(
Please let us know the following:

1. which version of Ubuntu did you try to install (12.04 or 12.10)
2. Where did you download it from (links to sources, at least 1-2 of them)
3. Which version did you download: desktop version or alternate version
4. Have you tried a different USB creator tool, like unetbootin?

^^ Download 12.10 and ditch Kubuntu. If you want KDE try installing kubuntu-desktop package .

12.04 is LTS release and packages are not the bleeding edge instead they are fairly well tested. I'd say get 12.10.

I got it working. Next step is to set it up to compile CM9 from source. This task is tedious.

Anybody any working guides? (errors in some step of each and every guide I've tried)

Back