How do you build your watch collection?

renegade

Staff member
Super Mod
Bought my first watch after 17 years, a Citizen AN3490-55A (lets not count the Titan Edge I got as a wedding gift even though I picked it myself).

CITIZEN-An3490-55A.jpg

My last watch was a Timex Ironman digital watch which I think I bought mostly for the Indiglo function. :p I still remember taking it off only when I would take a shower. Lasted a good 4 years through my school days till the buttons started acting up.

I have since always been on a look out for a watch which I would fall in love with at first sight and would also look good on my slimmer than normal wrists, but nothing caught my fancy ever until I saw this. It also changed my perception about my wrists and I realized these watches don't look too huge after all. I chose this watch coz of its brushed silver, white and blue color combo which I felt is perfect for a first watch as it would go well with all kinds of attire. It looks classy to me.
(it was also 14K cheaper than the other Citizen watch I really liked)

So moving beyond the prologue, now that I have tasted blood, I now have my scope set on a full dark metal watch. I think they exuberate attitude. I am again not looking to cross the 15K budget for this. Unfortunately the ones that I will get in this range and design are Diesel watches, something that you all aficionados will snicker at.

Maybe after that a Canvas strap Seiko which again I find really classy and old school.

But enough of me, how about you all? How do/did you go about building your watch collection. How do you decide which ones to buy next and how do you plan the budget and time of purchase. Do you keep aside some cash every month or is it an impulse purchase.

Last edited:
First rule of watch collecting - Your money, your wrist, wear what you like.

While I personally wouldn't bother with fashion brands they do have some nice looking watches in their catalogs. Some from Kenneth Cole, Fossil, and Guess are stunners. That Citizen is a Quartz Chrono that should last you a good while, and for your next purchase I would suggest something from Seiko, Orient, or Tissot if you can stretch your budget a bit. Thing is any of us could point you off in a hundred different directions, but that will all be about our choice. So think about the following.

What kind of watch you are looking for -
- Dependent on movement within (unless you are finicky about the workings within, stay away from this line of thought)
- Dependent on brand
- Dependent on complications desired (Chrono, Diver, Power reserve etc)
- Dependent on looks (very important)
- Dependent on budget (most important)

Next I suggest you casually browse through amazon.in and watchkart.com and look through their offerings. Then go to a mall where they have those fancy watch boutiques, and try on as many watches as you like. Get a feel of the size, weight, style, colors, straps, brands there and then make a decision on what to buy, and where to buy it from at the best discounted price.
Do not yet go to WUS boards as you will lose yourself in the quagmire of unbridled knowledge, and then nothing will be enough. True story.

What will really help is if you select out a few watches that interest you and then maybe other members here can chip in with their pearls of wisdom.

Within your budget if you dont mind used watches, do have a look and read abiut Seiko 6309 7040. Just got mine and absolutely love it.

Bought my first watch after 17 years, a Citizen AN3490-55A (lets not count the Titan Edge I got as a wedding gift even though I picked it myself).
Nice and welcome to the slippery slope. That is a nice watch.

But enough of me, how about you all? How do/did you go about building your watch collection. How do you decide which ones to buy next and how do you plan the budget and time of purchase. Do you keep aside some cash every month or is it an impulse purchase.

The way I do it:

1. Movement: It should be a mechanical or hand-winding. Nothing quartz. (Except G-shock)
2. Functions: Should not be a chronograph. I have way to many of them, from the Shoppers Stop+Quartz era of my life. Every watch sold there is a chronograph. I hate integrated dial chronographs, in fact.
3. Complications: Maximum a day+date window, or a 24H dial.
3.b. Dial: Least cluttered the better. I hate chapters with minute graduations. Alas, it is difficult these days to find watches with hour-only-chapter rings.
4. Class: Depends what I am targeting. Diver, dress, casual, vintage, or HMT. This is actually where the choice starts. For Diver class, I like 200M minimal, with a minute marked rotating bezel. And a screw-down crown. For dress, the watch should be minimal and simple. Honestly, "looks" are taken care of here.
5. Find the price of the watch at foreign shopping -usually- websites.
6. See delivery feasibility (customs / tax) to India.
7. Wait for a benevolent friend to come over. (Watches are way way overpriced in India, unless Titan, which has a really good line up).
8. Wear the watch. (after I adjust the bracelet).

I basically have a Google spreadsheet, which I update with watch name / link / approximate pricing. It is expanding quicker than it is contracting..! I am a member of watchuseek, so get a lot of ideas there. I save money then buy, at times it can be an impulse buy, if something I have been looking at, suddenly comes onto a good sale/deal.

There are simply way too many choices now in terms of buying watches. Once I bought a few watches I decided I would try to get one in each complication. But recently I've been sticking to vintage dress watches there are tons of vintage watches in ebay. Right now after buying a dozen watches I have started saving money for my last and final watch hopefully. A few things which this watch should satisfy is a good old brand (should have long history) or a new branch which has excellent reputation in Swiss watches. the next thing on the check list is an in-house movement. A watch with in-house movements are generally the costliest watches available. third is my budget I don't know how much I'm planning to spend on such a watch yet :) depends on the watch which satisfies the previous two condition. The decision to buy a watch in my case is mostly impulsive, that is expected if you keep researching on watches and have some money in your account.

@asingh need suggestions on affordable German watches within 10-15k bro is in Frankfurt for a month so will ask him to get one

I doubt you can get German watches in that range. Ask him to look around and see if any automatics are available. Maybe even the Seiko / Orient line.

I basically have a Google spreadsheet, which I update with watch name / link / approximate pricing. It is expanding quicker than it is contracting..! I am a member of watchuseek, so get a lot of ideas there. I save money then buy, at times it can be an impulse buy, if something I have been looking at, suddenly comes onto a good sale/deal.

Frankly that is the way to go with any hobby. I maintain multiple spreadsheets for my various hobbies.

Back