How do i get in a phone from Australia over mail?

L33TWiZaRd

Disciple
Hey Folks

So the story is that my friend is thinking of sending his Iphone 4 to me over mail. He is in Australia.

My question to you all is how do i go about bringing the phone in safely without it getting stuck in customs.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Customs is no issue in India as the charge is just 2.5%,ask him to use Austrian post if you want to keep the cost low else Fedex/TNT.

Whichever way he sends it , make sure its traceable or else there are high chances of package going missing .

FedEX/DHL/TNT etc will be expensive for cost of shipping as well as customs (clearance charges etc ) but will get your package to India within 4-6 working days.

Opt for Australia Post's Express Courier International service which can be completely tracked and assures delivery of 3-6 working days( assume 10-12 incase Indian custom delays ) The Express Post International only has basic tracking as in it will show you pick up date and delivery date .

Express Courier International would cost your friend ~50-60 AUD :). Customs will asses it at ~2.5% of either declared value or Indian value of phone .

Metalspree said:
Customs is no issue in India as the charge is just 2.5%,ask him to use Austrian post if you want to keep the cost low else Fedex/TNT.

I don't think so. Apple products have higher custom charges. They might charge 15% over the Indian market price of 32,500 (16GB).

pauldmps said:
I don't think so. Apple products have higher custom charges. They might charge 15% over the Indian market price of 32,500 (16GB).

It certainly does not work that way .Let it be Apple / Samsung end of the day it is a phone.

Not sure if any of you remember the fiasco mutant here went through when he had a phone shipped through post (USPS). Same happened to me as well - customs want to charge 42% duty on phones if sent through post.

No issues whatsoever if sent via private courier like Aramex. Then again since its from Australia, you'd have to take the DHL / Fedex route which is very costly

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

@Fah33m

Australian Express Post, has full tracking at almost every point. Right down to the local post office.

A friend recently had his AKG headphones shipped through Express Post from Australia. And they reached him within 6 days. The declared value was 60 $'s, Original value is 250$' + .

He was not charged any customs. And yes , the package was marked as a gift.

The same guy received a Expensive Casio Edifice watch shipped from New York, through Fist Class mail on the 5th day.

After 2-3 days of the package being shipped,you can track its progress in India , here :

IPS Web Tracking/Item Tracking

Irecently had a T-Mobile G2x, shipped from San Francisco, it was declared at 70$'s and marked as a Gift, sent though USPS First Class Mail international.

It reached me on the 8th day. No customs charged.

A friend living close by (Around 200 m's :p) also had the same phone shipped from Illinois, declared @ 50$'s and marked as a gift. Reached him on the 5th day through USPS First Class mail!!!!!!! I was like WHoaaa!!!

Earlier a USPS Express package reached me from Texas on the 6th day. And it shoed tracking details at almost every point.

Shipping methods of the likes of Priority Mail and First Class Mail, do not have tracking info, at max the shipping info and delivery confirmation.

^ Quoting from Aus Post site .

Express Courier International and Express Post International (parcels only) both offer tracking for parcels sent overseas.

Using Express Courier International, full tracking is available. This means you can go to our online tracking service and follow the progress of your parcel from lodgement to delivery.

Using Express Post International (parcels), basic tracking is available. This means you can go to our online tracking service and see when your parcel was lodged and when it has been delivered.

On second thought, I had a T-Mobile HD2 shipped without the box and value declared at 200$ and it arrived without any customs being charged!

Vikid, were the phones you and your friend got with the original box or without?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Back