CPU/Mobo High Temperatures with X2 3800+

thelord

Disciple
Hey guys.
Got my X2 3800+ a few days back.
Presesently, its running @ everything stock with vcore around 1.36v.

Now, it idles at 37-39 C which is pretty much ok.
Single Prime95, temp climbs to around 44-45.
Double Prime95 (one for each core), the temp rockets up to 54 deg C. :S
Are dual cores supposed to run this hot??

Case Ventilation.. pretty good.
Heat Sink.. yep its properly seated too with a fresh layer of AS5.

So what could be the reason for these extreme temps. :huh:
Please help me out fellows coz this chip does have some OC potential..

if u are using the stock cooler. the normal stock cooler not the 1 with heatpipes. the temps are fine. dont expect it to reduce on that.

Oh.. k

I guess we are looking at a better cooling solution then..

The Arctic Freezer Pro 64 fits right in but I couldn't find any dealer here.

Can any of you point me to an efficient CPU cooler thats available in India?

Thanks

with a stock cooler on the 3800+ yep. See the 4200+ and above come with a different cooler (my 4800+ has a heatpipe cooler which shipped with it). If you have the simple cooler than that runs around 7-8 degress hotter.

Funny but my CPU stays extremely cool and hardly ever crosses 52 degrees even while gaming or encoding. I've used some AS5 (office se chori keya hua :p ) and my hyper 48, and am very satisfied with the result...

btw the default fan also used to stop every once in a awhile with cool and quiet enabled... nearly made my heart stop ;) till I touched the HS... not even warm :D

Hmm, so thats the case.. Mine came with a normal heatsink.. like the ones they ship with single cores..

Anyways, the idle temp is pretty good considering the ambient here is around 35.. :)
Its the load temp that worries me.
Right now, its running at 2.5 ghz @ stock volts but the temp shoots up to 58C after a few minutes of dual prime.. Now this IS too high imo.

So all suggestions to bring down the temps are welcome.. coz running this OC'ing beast at stock will be a crime.. :D

u will not find the arctic freezer from any dealer here unless someone on te is selling it.

i guess whatever is selling hyper6+. thats a good heatsink if u want.

stormblast said:
u will not find the arctic freezer from any dealer here unless someone on te is selling it.

i guess whatever is selling hyper6+. thats a good heatsink if u want.

wouldn't the hyper 48 be better? considering its copper and all?

hunt3r said:
The Hyper 48 sucks. Big time!! the Hyper 6+ is much better

one last question. Will the hyper 6+ foil any nearby components on the following boards -

A8N SLI premium
Asus 925x (P5....premium)
Asus P5B deluxe wifi
Asus P5W DH

I could buy either of the latter 2 and have the others. point is I may use it on any one of these. will it fit? looks friggin huge!!

Check for compatibility on the manufacturer's website or forums, but since all those are enthusiast boards there should be more than enough space. One side effect could be higher chipset temps but nothing that good case ventilation cant solve.

^Sorry for the OT, but the HSF unit on my 4200+ looks eggjhactly like the one on my old 3000+? Thought they were supposed to be different?

TechHead said:
^Sorry for the OT, but the HSF unit on my 4200+ looks eggjhactly like the one on my old 3000+? Thought they were supposed to be different?

only the opteron dual cores and 4400+ onwards have heatpipe heatsinks :p

hi
i have a 4200+ am2 and the cooler which came with it was without the heat pipe.My idle and load temps wit the stock cooling were pretty high too,but after some reading on other forums ,i have seen that at our ambient temps the idle and load temps are fine.

I have a zalman cnps 9500 am2 (sadly not available in india) and i'm very satisfied with the results.Although with excessive ocin (eg at 2.9g/3ghz) my cpu has reached to very high temps, as high as 70c :( read by core beta ,with ac on the temps settle to near 65c,but as of now my 24X7 clock is 2.7/2.8g in this case even with 2 prime95's or orthos the temps dont go higher than 60c.I know u would find even these temps very high but x2's are supposed to be safe till 72c.And to get decent ocing out of them u will have to look at higher temps no matter which hsf u use.

Back